Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers i don't understand the "sort" command Post 17434 by #1freebsddude on Friday 15th of March 2002 12:57:31 AM
Old 03-15-2002
I would look for a different place for documentation, like
here:

sort:

http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/cgi-bin/...rt&max_hits=20

grep:

http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/cgi-bin/...ep&max_hits=20

main site:

http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/unixhelp/

Good Luck

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed 's/~/\^J/g' how to get "^J" on same line as rest of the command.

when ever i type it in it always looks like so echo $file | sed 's/~/\ /g' how can i get it on one line? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
6 Replies

2. Solaris

"mail" command sort by date

Hello experts, I am using SunFire T200. When I start reading the mail with "mail" command it comes older mail first. From MAILER-DAEMON Sat Mar 28 06:02:48 2009 Return-Path: <MAILER-DAEMON@emarn1> Received: from localhost (localhost) .... .... I want to see the most recent mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thepurple
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

don't understand a command "."

Hi all, I have a script with those two lines : test -f $PWD/mysetup.txt . $PWD/mysetup.txt I understand the first one, but could anyone explain me the role of the second one? All the thing I find is the usage : Thx in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moumou
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Understand output of "free" command

Hi Friends, I am really confused with the output of "free" command on redhat linux. I can see caching and buffer output on two different areas on the output. Please let me know whats the difference of these two different outputs. Here I am pasting the command output of my server. # free... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of "b" modifier in "sort" command

I need to sort the following file by the rhdiskpower devices in the last column: Total_MB Free_MB OS_MB Name Failgroup Library Label UDID Product Redund Path 1024 851 1024 OCRVOT1_0000 OCRVOT1_0000 System UNKNOWN ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wjssj
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to Unix command line and have a question about the "sort" command

I am going through the Unix Made Easy second edition book by John Muster. So far it's been very informative and I can tell it may be a bit out of date. In one of the exercises it talks about the "sort" command and using it to sort column's of data etc. The "sort" command has changed a bit and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: budfoxcat
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract delta records using with "comm" and "sort" commands combination

Hi All, I have 2 pipe delimited files viz., file_old and file_new. I'm trying to compare these 2 files, and extract all the different rows between them into a new_file. comm -3 < sort file_old < sort file_new > new_file I am getting the below error: -ksh: sort: cannot open But if I do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
7 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.18.2 2012-02-11 URI::URL(3)