Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Starting X?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Starting X? Post 17384 by AMDPwred on Thursday 14th of March 2002 10:25:19 AM
Old 03-14-2002
Starting X?

I just installed FreeBSD 4.5 and I want to find out how I can start and run X? When I boot I get taken to the command line. Xconfigurator doesn't want to work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting up

:confused: I have put together an old machine with a 386DX CPU (40MHz) with 8Mb of RAM and a 160Mb hard disk. One guy told me that its still suitable for UNIX. Can enyone give me some hints on how to start? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msm
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

process starting

Hello everybody! I got a question on process starting. I installed e.g. squid on my Mac and all is working well, but i wanted to figure out what process or script is starting squid on booting the machine. I searched for a while but i could not find where i can change these configuration. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: count_zero
2 Replies

3. SuSE

starting SWAT

everytime I try to start SWAT using : www.localhost:901, it takes me to goggle the search engine. IM still new in the linux world and Im a bit confussed now. any help would be great. Im currently running redhat linux fedora. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: keliy1
5 Replies

4. Linux

starting mozilla

every time I launch mozilla Im getiing this this error: Details: failed to execute child process "/root/mozilla" no such file or directory. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keliy1
2 Replies

5. Slackware

starting up something on boot

I'm trying to bring up a database server when the linux 6.2 machine is restarted, in unix i can set up a Sxxdbstart script under rc3.d and run su user -c /path/to/my/script How can I do this in linux? I thought I could just run it under the rc.d/rc.local script and add it at the end of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Starting over

I am re-learning UNIX and want to download Unix to my lab for studying on the road. Any suggestions? Got several books, but need to run scripts :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DudeMan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

starting an executable..

I need a perl script that needs to start an executable in a different shell so that I can use this to run more commands from my script. This is what I have: my $USER = "my_user_name"; mu $HOST = "hostname"; my $ssh = 'ssh $USER@'."$HOST"; my $cmd = "cd $EXE_DIR && sudo $EXE $EXE_PARAMETERS";... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Starting script without ./ name or sh name

Hi, i want to start my script only by the name of it. $ scriptName normaly i have to use ./scriptName oder sh scriptName is there a way to do that in bash or sh ? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Turrican
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cronjob not starting

hello, i defined 2 cronjobs using putty on my 1und1-server */5 7-18 * * 1-5 /usr/local/bin/php4 .../script.php 30 19-6 * * 1-5 /usr/local/bin/php4 .../script.php the first runs monday to friday between 7-18 this one works fine the other one should run monday to friday between 19-6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jogisarge
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -f Force opening a VT without checking whether it is already in use. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. If you want to use this feature in another context, be aware that openvt has to be a session leader in order for -e to work. See setsid(2) or setsid(1) on how to achieve this. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)