Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Very simple Unix Prog in C, could use advice/help Post 17238 by Perderabo on Tuesday 12th of March 2002 01:40:17 PM
Old 03-12-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by AtleRamsli

I have a 'standard' way for dealing with opening/creation.

/*
Try to open, if that fails, _try_to_ create.
If create was successful, close.
Now, we have done what we can to make sure
we can open the file, so now try to open
and return the result.
*/
myopen(...)
{
if (fd = open(...) == -1) {
if (fd = creat(...) != -1)
close(fd);
fd = open(...);
}
return(fd);
}

What is the point of all of that? Why not just use open() with an O_CREAT flag and a mode argument?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advice on UNIX/Linux

I have 6 extra hard drives and want to install them in my boxes and run UNIX, LINUX andyes M$ Winblows. How do I make it so i have the choice of which HD to boot from? Also, which UNIX distribution should i run to get aquainted with it, and wheres the best place to get it? Thank you very much if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1sk
5 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Learning Unix , Advice?

I am a long-time Windows NT, 2000 user at home and work. I want to learn Unix to broaden myself. What flavor do you recommend and how do you recommend practicing with it at home? how to get a copy of it to practice with? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robmaxfli
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advice to build a cheap Unix machine?

Hello! In my perpetual quest to learn Unix, I want to build a cheap Unix server for my personal use. Do you guys have suggestions of web sites, vendors etc...where I could get info on things such as step-by-step instruction, 2nd hand hardware etc... I would like to go preferably with a HP... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Re-learning Unix - need some advice.

I learned Unix about 6 years ago, I think it was the System V version back then. My course taught me, Unix commands, shell scripting, Vi editor, and probably more stuff. I wanted to stick with Unix but life didn't allow me to, my college back then used Windows 95 and then my job as a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoughts
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Help & Advice

I originally sent this as a PM to Neo, but I was ignorant towards the rule of PMing someone with technical information. Below is a copy / paste of the questions I asked. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it tons. Thank you! :D The first OS I ever encountered was DOS and Windows 3.1. Ever since... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZeeSquared
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX advice needed desperately :/

Firstly I do need to state that I am turning here as a last resort. Im in my first year of a Computer Networking and technical support course, and as a first year I must complete a Introductory Unix/Linux class. I have been doing well in the course so far however I have been stumped on the final... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: setaylor5
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Advice to become a unix guru?

Hello, I have recently completed my training for Solaris 10 and have a good understanding of the bases now. I am playing around with my system but can't do much since my knowledge is limited. I am looking for some projects or some threads where I can learn more and expand my knowledge step by... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: saudsos
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advice needed regarding Unix doc/book

I am a newbie Oracle DBA. All our oracle servers are hosted in AIX and Solaris Environment. I have no knowledge about this Unix O/S. So, it will be great if anyone here can suggest me any good book which will teach me the basics. Any inputs/suggestions will be great for me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandip250382
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need advice for project UNIX to Linux migration

I am working on UNIX AIX to Linux migration. Does anybody know the good site for doing this? Thanks for contribution (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
4 Replies
close(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  close(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
close - Close an open channel SYNOPSIS
close channelId _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Closes the channel given by channelId. ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as a Tcl standard channel (stdin, stdout, or stderr), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. All buffered output is flushed to the channel's output device, any buffered input is discarded, the underlying file or device is closed, and channelId becomes unavailable for use. If the channel is blocking, the command does not return until all output is flushed. If the channel is nonblocking and there is unflushed output, the channel remains open and the command returns immediately; output will be flushed in the background and the channel will be closed when all the flushing is complete. If channelId is a blocking channel for a command pipeline then close waits for the child processes to complete. If the channel is shared between interpreters, then close makes channelId unavailable in the invoking interpreter but has no other effect until all of the sharing interpreters have closed the channel. When the last interpreter in which the channel is registered invokes close, the cleanup actions described above occur. See the interp command for a description of channel sharing. Channels are automatically closed when an interpreter is destroyed and when the process exits. Channels are switched to blocking mode, to ensure that all output is correctly flushed before the process exits. The command returns an empty string, and may generate an error if an error occurs while flushing output. If a command in a command pipe- line created with open returns an error, close generates an error (similar to the exec command.) EXAMPLE
This illustrates how you can use Tcl to ensure that files get closed even when errors happen by combining catch, close and return: proc withOpenFile {filename channelVar script} { upvar 1 $channelVar chan set chan [open $filename] catch { uplevel 1 $script } result options close $chan return -options $options $result } SEE ALSO
file(n), open(n), socket(n), eof(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
blocking, channel, close, nonblocking Tcl 7.5 close(n)