Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New Suse Linux Admin ?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New Suse Linux Admin ? Post 17215 by darthur on Tuesday 12th of March 2002 08:51:50 AM
Old 03-12-2002
New Suse Linux Admin ?

I have just been handed two new Suse 7.2 Linux systems to Administer.

We are wanting to setup monitoring of applications, file system space, etc. Are there standard log directories that an experienced Admin would put scripts, log files, documentation, etc. or just put it under the /root Home directory?

We want to standardize this on all future Linux systems that we will be supporting.

Thanks in advance, for any good suggestions from your experiences as Linux Admins.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

interviewing linux admin

Im a solaris admin, not too familair with linux, can anyone give me 5-10 questions I should ask a Linux admin Im going to interview for a job. The job requires an experiencend Linux admin, who can do backups, system builds, create file systems, monitor, etc... in a production environment. Any help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
3 Replies

2. Linux

Linux admin

Hi, Please give some important admin command document . which is helpful in my role. THanks, Mani (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
8 Replies

3. Red Hat

I want to become a Linux admin..

Hi , I have skill set in unix/shell scripting. But I would like to become a linux admin..So could you please help on this.. 1) what are the things need to be learn, 2) any reference should be appreciable. 3) or any website.. THanks, Mani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies
FTPUSERS(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       FTPUSERS(5)

NAME
ftpusers - list of users that may not log in via the FTP daemon DESCRIPTION
The text file ftpusers contains a list of users that may not log in using the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) server daemon. This file is used not merely for system administration purposes but for improving security within a TCP/IP networked environment. It will typically contain a list of the users that either have no business using ftp or have too many privileges to be allowed to log in through the FTP server daemon. Such users usually include root, daemon, bin, uucp, and news. If your FTP server daemon doesn't use ftpusers then it is suggested that you read its documentation to find out how to block access for certain users. Washington University FTP server Daemon (wuftpd) and Professional FTP Daemon (proftpd) are known to make use of ftpusers. Format The format of ftpusers is very simple. There is one account name (or username) per line. Lines starting with a # are ignored. FILES
/etc/ftpusers SEE ALSO
passwd(5), proftpd(8), wuftpd(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2000-08-27 FTPUSERS(5)