Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Starting up with a different user Post 17158 by manderson19 on Monday 11th of March 2002 08:48:59 PM
Old 03-11-2002
chown user:group file

for example:

chown tomcat:tomcat file

if tomcat is a directory, you can do a recusive owner change like this:

chown -r user:group file

hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting up

:confused: I have put together an old machine with a 386DX CPU (40MHz) with 8Mb of RAM and a 160Mb hard disk. One guy told me that its still suitable for UNIX. Can enyone give me some hints on how to start? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

starting a server

i am currently am planning to start a webserver to host a community of webpages, but i need help getting started? anyone have any sites or advice for me? thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bowlofrice
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting X?

I just installed FreeBSD 4.5 and I want to find out how I can start and run X? When I boot I get taken to the command line. Xconfigurator doesn't want to work. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMDPwred
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

just starting! got some questions

I just got a book on how to use UNIX but it says to type in your host but what's the name of the host that i type in? And after that where do I get my user id and password for that host?:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: animae64sm
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Starting over

I am re-learning UNIX and want to download Unix to my lab for studying on the road. Any suggestions? Got several books, but need to run scripts :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DudeMan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Starting script without ./ name or sh name

Hi, i want to start my script only by the name of it. $ scriptName normaly i have to use ./scriptName oder sh scriptName is there a way to do that in bash or sh ? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Turrican
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem starting a process on solaris from other user

Hi Gurus, I have a server that has to users. 1) root 2)net1 there are several processes running on my server one of the process is CMIS_STACK process which is a compiled C code when this process goes missing then i restart this process manually in the following manner ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Starting X on Solaris 11?

Hi friends, Hope everyone is fine and doing well. I have just installed Solaris 11, and everytime I boot my machine, I face the command prompt. Could you please tell me how I can setup the graphical environment, like gnome kde etc.??? Thanks in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
SystemStarter(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  SystemStarter(8)

NAME
SystemStarter -- Start, stop, and restart system services SYNOPSIS
SystemStarter [-gvxdDqn] [action [service]] DESCRIPTION
The SystemStarter utility is deprecated. System services should instead be described by a launchd.plist(5). See launchd(8) for more details. The launchd utility is available on Mac OS X 10.4 and later. In earlier versions of Mac OS X, the SystemStarter utility is used to start, stop, and restart the system services which are described in the /Library/StartupItems/ and /System/Library/StartupItems/ paths. The optional action argument specifies which action SystemStarter performs on the startup items. The optional service argument specifies which startup items to perform the action on. If no service is specified, all startup items will be acted on; otherwise, only the item pro- viding the service, any items it requires, or any items that depend on it will be acted on. During boot SystemStarter is invoked by launchd(8) and is responsible for starting all startup items in an order that satisfies each item's requirements. ACTIONS
start start all items, or start the item that provides the specified service and all items providing services it requires. stop stop all items, or stop the item that provides the specified service and all items that depend on it. restart restart all items, or restart the item providing the specified service. OPTIONS
-g (ignored) -v verbose (text mode) startup -x (ignored) -r (ignored) -d print debugging output -D print debugging output and dependencies -q be quiet (disable debugging output) -n don't actually perform action on items (no-run mode) NOTES
Unless an explicit call to ConsoleMessage is made, SystemStarter examines the exit status of the startup item scripts to determine the suc- cess or failure of the services provided by that script. FILES
/Library/StartupItems/ User-installed startup items. /System/Library/StartupItems/ System-provided startup items. SEE ALSO
ConsoleMessage(8), launchd(8), launchd.plist(5), rc(8) HISTORY
The SystemStarter utility appeared in Darwin 1.0 and was extended in Darwin 6.0 to support partial startup and interprocess communication. SystemStarter was deprecated by launchd(8) in Darwin 8.0. Darwin April 12, 2002 Darwin