Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Overwrite
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Overwrite Post 1711 by Duckman on Monday 26th of March 2001 04:20:46 PM
Old 03-26-2001
what is the noclobber variable? what does it do?

BTW, thx PXT, it worked!

Neo: indeed I have permissions to write over the file as I can delete, append etc...and now with >| i can overwrite : )

thanks everyone!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

overwrite problem

Hi im using the following to copy a file to a directory, the user being prompted to overwrite if the file already exists in that directory, cp -i myfile /home/brief/bin2 but this reveals the path of the directory when being prompted to overwrite (below) cp: overwrite... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali999
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files overwrite in awk

Hi guys, I checked the knowledge base before posting this question. is there any way by which you can ALWAYS ALLOW file overwrite in AWK?. i.e. an option similar to noclobber in Korn shell. I don't to check for files existence and remove them. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moon Noon
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to overwrite

Hi, i have a file ver.sql with the following contents , Here i need to put a in the next line of END statment . So iam doing the following D:\>type ver.sql begin ctxsys.driimp.set_value('STOP_WORD','yours'); ctxsys.driimp.set_object('STORAGE','BASIC_STORAGE',2);... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mhdmehraj
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

overwrite problem

my script is: awk '...mycode...' file1.txt > file2.txt and i want to overwrite file2.txt eachtime I run this script. but it says:File exists! :( I have tried awk '...mycode...' file1.txt >| file2.txt but it again says:Missing name for redirect! :confused::confused: what is this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux overwrite directory

How do you overwrite a directory with another directory? I know you can delete your directory then copy your directory over, but I would think there would be a way to do this in one step. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

overwrite only if both files are the same size

Dear users, I've been looking for a way to overwrite files only if both have the same size, how could I do this? any help is very appreciated. Best regards, Gery (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Better to Delete or Overwrite

Hello All, I had just a question about my Bash Script I'm currently writing. The script I have writes some text to a output file. After I write to the output file I send the file to another server to do some stuff with it. After the file sends in the script, I don't need the output/txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Suppress do you wish to overwrite (y or n)?

Hi all, as i have to deal every day with .log and also .csv files, i would like to know if there is any way to suppress "do you wish to overwrite (y or n)?" prompt with the option no for all prompts, the command i usually run is the following, find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
2 Replies

9. SCO

Command line overwrite

is there a way to overwrite what I have typed in rather than having to hit enter and re enter the command? SCO UNIX 3.2.4.2 (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveo314
14 Replies
fopen(3s)																 fopen(3s)

Name
       fopen, freopen, fdopen - open a stream

Syntax
       #include <stdio.h>

FILE *fopen (filename, type)
       char *filename, *type;

FILE *freopen (filename, type, stream)
       char *filename, *type;
       FILE *stream;

FILE *fdopen (fildes, type)
       int fildes;
       char *type;

Description
       The  routine opens the file named by filename and associates a stream with it.  The routine returns a pointer to the FILE structure associ-
       ated with the stream.

The filename points to a character string that contains the name of the file to be opened.

The type is a character string having one of the following values:

"r"	    Open for reading

"w"	    Truncate or create for writing

"a"	    Append; open for writing at end of file, or create for writing

"A"	    Append with no overwrite; open for writing at end-of-file, or create for writing

"r+"	    Open for reading and writing

"w+"	    Truncate or create for reading and writing

"a+"	    Append; open or create for reading and writing at end-of-file

"A+"	    Append with no overwrite, open or create for update at end-of-file

The letter "b" can also follow r, w, or a. In some C implementations, the "b" is needed to indicate a  binary  file,  however,  it  is  not
       needed in ULTRIX.  If "+" is used, the "b" may occur on either side, as in "rb+" or "w+b".

The  routine  substitutes  the named file in place of the open stream.  The original stream is closed, regardless of whether the open ulti-
       mately succeeds.  The routine returns a pointer to the FILE structure associated with stream.

The routine is typically used to attach the preopened streams associated with stdin, stdout and stderr to other files.

The routine associates a stream with a file descriptor.	File descriptors are obtained from or which open files but do not return  pointers
       to  a  FILE structure stream.  Streams are necessary input for many of the Section 3s library routines.	The type of stream must agree with
       the mode of the open file.

When a file is opened for update, both input and output may be done on the resulting stream.  However, output may not be directly  followed
       by  input  without  an  intervening  or and input may not be directly followed by output without an intervening or an input operation which
       encounters end-of-file.

When a file is opened for append with no overwrite (that is when type is "A" or "A+"), it is impossible to overwrite information already in
       the  file.  The routine may be used to reposition the file pointer to any position in the file, but when output is written to the file, the
       current file pointer is disregarded.  All output is written at the end of the file and causes the file pointer to be  repositioned  at  the
       end  of	the  output.   If  two separate processes open the same file for append, each process may write freely to the file without fear of
       destroying output being written by the other.  The output from the two processes will be intermixed in the file in the order in which it is
       written.

Return Values
       The and routines return a NULL pointer on failure.

Environment
   SYSTEM_V
       When  your  program is compiled using the System V environment, append with no overwrite is specified by using the "a" or "a+" type string,
       and the "A" and "A+" type strings are not allowed.

POSIX
       In the POSIX environment, the "a" and "a+" strings, and the "A" and "A+" strings specify append with no overwrite.

See Also
       creat(2), dup(2), open(2), pipe(2), fclose(3s), fseek(3s).

fopen(3s)