Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: date question
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users date question Post 17102 by ankurgupta on Monday 11th of March 2002 09:52:26 AM
Old 03-11-2002
Question date question

hi,

how do i get the last day of the current date or a given date using unix.

for e.g. if i run the command/script on 1st feb 2002 i should get 28 th feb 2002.

thanks !!
AnkuR.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date function question

hi guys! just want to ask if you could help me with the sript i'm working on. i need to automatically generate a summarized report everyday for all transactions the day before and ftp it to another machine. my only problem is that i need to name the file as the date yesterday. for example if i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: crpalermo
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

date question

I have a little bash shell script which is used to backup files (via cron) to an NASLite server every 7 days. a=$(date +%b_%d_%Y) tar -lcpf /tmp/laptopbackup.$a.tar /home ncftpput 192.168.0.5 /Disk-1/laptop /tmp/laptopbackup.$a.tar The filename thus includes the date on which it is made,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdeschene3
3 Replies

3. AIX

Date question

I am creating a shell script and have a question about how to determine yesterdays date. In my script, I can determine today by: today=`date '+%Y%m%d'` but I am not sure how to determine yesterday. In other languages, I would just subtract one from today, but I don't know how to do that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsimpg1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date question

hi guys, i've got a simple one.. date_time="`date '+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S'`" gives me the system's date and time... which my script will use this variable to run the data on this date... my question is... if now, i want to run the script for data's that are like 6 months back... how can i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 12yearold
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Scripting Question

I am trying to append a portion of a file with a date on it that changes daily to a temp file. Here are my commands: set DATE = ('date +%Y%m%d_sum.log') cat $HOME/right/$DATE > /export/home/temp.txt Here is the error I keep receiving: cat: cannot open /temp/usr/nedaniel/right/date... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigDawg32
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Question

How could I get a date's day of the week (ie Sunday) without using the date -d command? So if a date was specified, it would give me the day of the week. The date -d command looks something like this date -d $inputdate | cut -c 1-3 the only problem with that statement is that it won't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DKNUCKLES
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date format question

I have a string that looks like this: 2008 04 09 18 45 30 0 I would like to convert it to a date format like this: Wed Apr 09 18:45:30.000 GMT 2008 I have been searching all over and can't find anything to help me. I am using ksh on a sun solaris unix machine. Thank you. Allyson (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajgwin
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another Date Question - Sorry

I have been out of the UNIX World for a number of years and none of my reference books seem to be helping e with this seemingly simple question. How can I manipulate the below command to reflect the previous day and not the current date? the command is: elm -s “SAP prs for `date... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: McRae
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

echo date question

Whats the difference between using date in these 2 methods? How exactly does the shell handle the first one different from the second one? $ echo $date $ echo $(date) Tue Aug 16 03:10:25 EDT 2011 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regarding question for GNU date

Hello All, Greetings all !! I have a query here, following are the points on same(Adding today's is 31st August 2016 for future reference). 1st Scenario: So while doing some work on GNU date, I wanted to check what was the month(in numbers) by GNU date so I have done following. date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
2 Replies
DATE(1) 							   User Commands							   DATE(1)

NAME
date - print or set the system date and time SYNOPSIS
date [OPTION]... [+FORMAT] date [-u|--utc|--universal] [MMDDhhmm[[CC]YY][.ss]] DESCRIPTION
Display the current time in the given FORMAT, or set the system date. -d, --date=STRING display time described by STRING, not `now' -f, --file=DATEFILE like --date once for each line of DATEFILE -ITIMESPEC, --iso-8601[=TIMESPEC] output date/time in ISO 8601 format. TIMESPEC=`date' for date only, `hours', `minutes', or `seconds' for date and time to the indi- cated precision. --iso-8601 without TIMESPEC defaults to `date'. -r, --reference=FILE display the last modification time of FILE -R, --rfc-822 output RFC-822 compliant date string -s, --set=STRING set time described by STRING -u, --utc, --universal print or set Coordinated Universal Time --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit FORMAT controls the output. The only valid option for the second form specifies Coordinated Universal Time. Interpreted sequences are: %% a literal % %a locale's abbreviated weekday name (Sun..Sat) %A locale's full weekday name, variable length (Sunday..Saturday) %b locale's abbreviated month name (Jan..Dec) %B locale's full month name, variable length (January..December) %c locale's date and time (Sat Nov 04 12:02:33 EST 1989) %C century (year divided by 100 and truncated to an integer) [00-99] %d day of month (01..31) %D date (mm/dd/yy) %e day of month, blank padded ( 1..31) %F same as %Y-%m-%d %g the 2-digit year corresponding to the %V week number %G the 4-digit year corresponding to the %V week number %h same as %b %H hour (00..23) %I hour (01..12) %j day of year (001..366) %k hour ( 0..23) %l hour ( 1..12) %m month (01..12) %M minute (00..59) %n a newline %N nanoseconds (000000000..999999999) %p locale's upper case AM or PM indicator (blank in many locales) %P locale's lower case am or pm indicator (blank in many locales) %r time, 12-hour (hh:mm:ss [AP]M) %R time, 24-hour (hh:mm) %s seconds since `00:00:00 1970-01-01 UTC' (a GNU extension) %S second (00..60); the 60 is necessary to accommodate a leap second %t a horizontal tab %T time, 24-hour (hh:mm:ss) %u day of week (1..7); 1 represents Monday %U week number of year with Sunday as first day of week (00..53) %V week number of year with Monday as first day of week (01..53) %w day of week (0..6); 0 represents Sunday %W week number of year with Monday as first day of week (00..53) %x locale's date representation (mm/dd/yy) %X locale's time representation (%H:%M:%S) %y last two digits of year (00..99) %Y year (1970...) %z RFC-822 style numeric timezone (-0500) (a nonstandard extension) %Z time zone (e.g., EDT), or nothing if no time zone is determinable By default, date pads numeric fields with zeroes. GNU date recognizes the following modifiers between `%' and a numeric directive. `-' (hyphen) do not pad the field `_' (underscore) pad the field with spaces ENVIRONMENT
TZ Specifies the timezone, unless overridden by command line parameters. If neither is specified, the setting from /etc/localtime is used. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for date is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and date programs are properly installed at your site, the command info date should give you access to the complete manual. date (coreutils) 4.5.3 October 2002 DATE(1)