Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Locating files and directing ouput Post 17045 by mikek147 on Sunday 10th of March 2002 05:06:50 PM
Old 03-10-2002
How about:

grep csh /etc/passwd > filename

I think that's what your were asking. -mk

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directing output

How do I direct the output of an at command at now < backupprogram so that I see something happening. It says the job has been executed but I am not getting the tar file that my backup program on the computer anywhere at all Please help me - I really am a struggling begginer. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cynergetix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error re-directing

Hi, I'm running a program by executing the following command... convert NA 2> compiler.err Here is the command for debugging this process in IBM debugger... idebug convert NA 2> compiler.err On executing the above command the error output from idebug process is redirected to compiler.err,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fermisoft
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directing program output to a file

When I do time tar cvf /dev/st0 /mnt/junk >> /root/benchlog, I want it to put the output of the time command into the benchlog file, but it put /mnt/junk. How do I get it to put the output of the tar command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

directing output to multiple files

I have a script in which some outputs are directed to one file echo "Load Started" >>${LOGFILE1} If I have another file LOGFILE2 and i want to redirect the output of the above echo command to LOGFILE2 as well with the same command line... how can i do that? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cobroraj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directing awk output to a folder

Dear All I have a simple bash script that creates a folder ( I called it TEMP) in the current directory. The question is: how do I direct the output of my awk script into folder TEMP? Below is my attempt: #!/bin/bash mkdir TEMP echo Enter input file: read infile awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghetz
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in locating a word in huge files

hi i receive about 5000 files per day in my system. Each of them are like: cat ABC.april24.dat ABH00001990 01993 409009092 0909 INI iop 9033 AAB0000237893784 8430900 898383 AUS 34349089008 849843 9474822 AAA00003849893498098394 84834 348348439 -438939 IN AAA00004438493893849384... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
2 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Re-directing output

ps –xyz >/tmp/proc 2>&1 Can anyone explain what does '2' and '&1' will do here? Thanks to explain (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-directing issue.

Hi All, Have scheduled a cron entry to run once a week. 0 0 * * 1 /export/home/nz/history_load/prod/LoadManager.sh >>/dev/null 2>&1 Not sure, why this job did not got triggered last week. Want to know the reason behind not getting triggered. I was re-directing the output of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Locating files!

My question is : -How do I locate files of specific user in specific folder. In other words, How do I find files that belong only to "root" user, in /etc folder? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexex666
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating shell script files with the $PATH variable

I've created a test script, which is located in $HOME/bin. The script runs as expected with no issues. However, upon echo'ing the $path variable the location of my script is not located in any of the directories listed in $path. So my question is, how does shell know where the script is located... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrandonD
2 Replies
BZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZGREP(1)

NAME
bzgrep, bzfgrep, bzegrep - search possibly bzip2 compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
bzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzegrep [ egrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzfgrep [ fgrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Bzgrep is used to invoke the grep on bzip2-compressed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If bzgrep is invoked as bzegrep or bzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, bzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep bzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; bzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca). Adapted to bzip2 by Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> for Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), bzdiff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzip2(1) BZGREP(1)