Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Logging in and then su to root Post 16895 by eyounes on Friday 8th of March 2002 04:25:48 AM
Old 03-08-2002
Logging in and then su to root

We have several people that log in using root. What I need to do is have everyone to log in using there own account then su to root. How would I do this. We have aix 4.2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Logging in as root on SuSE 9.1

When I try to log on as root now all it does is load YaST. When I used to log on as root it would have a desktop and all...what has happened? Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: CTroxtell21
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What change in freeBSD OS to allow root logging using ssh?

Hi everybody, ] I would like to ask just simpe and short question. I am using freeBSD 6.0 and Debian Sarge. From Debian console I can log as root using ssh to bsd mashine but not vice versa. When I say in bsd console su I got sorry output, it does not allow me to su to root when I am logged... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100days
5 Replies

4. AIX

Can't login root account due to can't find root shell

Hi, yesterday, I changed root's shell in /etc/passwd, cause a mistake then I can not log in root account (can't find correct shell). I attempted to log in single-mode, however, it prompted for single-mode's password then I type root's password but still can not log in. I'm using AIX 5L version 5.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neikel
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Prevent users logging in as root

I would like to know how to prevent users connecting to a server using SSH as root. I would still like them to be able to login with their username and then change to su. But I would like to prevent them logging in directly as root. I have searched the forum and read that I should set... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

problem in logging into root

when i am trying to login through root i am getting following error Last successful login for root: Tue Feb 3 16:44:40 IST-5:30 2009 on pts/tc Last unsuccessful login for root: Tue Feb 3 16:41:01 IST-5:30 2009 on pts/tc Please wait...checking for disk quotas crt0: ERROR couldn't open... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmca
6 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Constant Logging In (After Logging Out)

Hi Everyone. First, I want to thank all of you for letting me participate in this great group. I am having a bit of a problem. After I get an email from a responder, I login to make my reply. In the mean time I get another response by email from another member, I go to reply to them and I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to avoid logging with root user?

I have created a linux machine and installed some softwares on it with root user privileges . I used to login with root user credentials for doing the various task. Later i have realise that this is not the best practice to follow and there should be a new user with less privileges to be created... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

10. Linux

Syslog not logging successful logging while unlocking server's console

When unlocking a Linux server's console there's no event indicating successful logging Is there a way I can fix this ? I have the following in my rsyslog.conf auth.info /var/log/secure authpriv.info /var/log/secure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies
dsenableroot(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   dsenableroot(8)

NAME
dsenableroot -- enables or disables the root account. SYNOPSIS
dsenableroot [-d] [-u username] [-p password] [-r rootPassword] DESCRIPTION
dsenableroot sets the password for the root account if enabling the root user account. Otherwise, if disable [-d] is chosen, the root account passwords are removed and the root user is disabled. A list of flags and their descriptions: -u username Username of a user that has administrative privileges on this computer. -p password Password to use in conjunction with the specified username. If this is not specified, you will be prompted for entry. -r rootPassword Password to be used for the root account. If this is not specified for enabling, you will be prompted for entry. EXAMPLES
-dsenableroot Your username will be used and you will be queried for both your password and the new root password to be set to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d Your username will be used and you will be queried for only your password to disable the root account. -dsenableroot -u username -p userpassword -r rootpassword The supplied arguments will be used to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d -u username -p userpassword The supplied arguments will be used to disable the root account. Mac OS August 08 2003 Mac OS