Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vmproc tool-virtual memory
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users vmproc tool-virtual memory Post 16819 by Shobhit on Thursday 7th of March 2002 07:21:05 AM
Old 03-07-2002
Tools vmproc & eps tools

Hi All
I am new to this wonderful message forum.I have high hopes on all the members in helping me out.I am looking out for a tool on HPUX which does work similarly to vmproc on TRU64.I am providing the information about vmproc just in case you know a tool giving similar results on HPUX do tell me.
"The purpose of the vmproc command is to display information related to the virtual memory of a given process. It also enables to know which libraries are used by the process. Each map (set of virtual pages) is associated with a library name (found in the symbol file created with the ld command) or with the user program. Its size (given in pages and bytes), its kind (data, text, heap or stack), its read and write mode and its size variations are also displayed."

Last edited by Shobhit; 03-07-2002 at 11:37 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

get physical and virtual memory

What command can i use to get the physical and virtual memory of a database? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tads98
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

virtual memory

Hi, can anyone explain me what virtual memory is ( for which we use vmstat commande line ) comparing with RAM ? many thanks before. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

3. Programming

Tool for finding memory leaks

hi, i am a c++ programmer working on linux(redhat linux8.0) environment, i need to find out the memory leaks, so far i didn't used any tools, so what are the tools are available, and whic one is good to use. plz provide with a small example. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

4. Programming

about virtual memory and memory leak

Hi, First of all I appreciate this group very much for its informative discussions and posts. Here is my question. I have one process whose virtual memory size increases linearly from 6MB to 12MB in 20 minutes. Does that mean my process has memory leaks? In what cases does the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

Virtual Memory

Hi! I work with HP-UX and I have to monitorize the use of virtual memory for different processes. (java processes for Tibco Adapter) And if these processes exceed a limit send a message to the syslog. I donīt know how to monitorize this... Should I do a script? or use an aplication, for example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kurohana
3 Replies

6. AIX

ulimits max locked memory virtual memory

Hi, Would any one be so kind to explain me : are ulimits defined for each user seperately ? When ? Specialy what is the impact of : max locked memory and virtual memory on performance of applications for a user. Many thanks. PS : this is what I can see in MAN : ulimit ] ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpu, memory and virtual memory usage

Hi All, Does anyone know what the best commands in the UNIX command line are for obtaining this info: current CPU usage memory usage virtual memory usage preferably with date and time parameters too? thanks ocelot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virtual Memory

Hi, Can anyone please help me workout how much virtual memory I have running on a T2000 running Solaris 10. Thanks # df -h swap 3.5G 1.0M 3.5G 1% /etc/svc/volatile swap 3.5G 208K 3.5G 1% /tmp swap 3.5G 56K ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Virtual file or memory?

Hi Experts I encountered a situation recently. I wanted to discuss here and understand the reason behind this. My scenario is something like this: yes > temp & The above command keeps writing the output to the file temp. And this file keeps growing every second. And in the every... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

My RHEL virtual Machine Does not have Virtual Machine Manager Desktop Tool

My RHEL virtual Machine Does not have Virtual Machine Manager Desktop Tool Hi, I don't seem to have the Virtual Machine Manager Desktop tool set up on my RHEL6 Machine. The Linux machine runs off VMWare player and I'm not sure whether it is a VMWare software issue or a problem with the RHEL6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: accipiter1
2 Replies
POSIX_GETRLIMIT(3)							 1							POSIX_GETRLIMIT(3)

posix_getrlimit - Return info about system resource limits

SYNOPSIS
array posix_getrlimit (void ) DESCRIPTION
posix_getrlimit(3) returns an array of information about the current resource's soft and hard limits. Each resource has an associated soft and hard limit. The soft limit is the value that the kernel enforces for the corresponding resource. The hard limit acts as a ceiling for the soft limit. An unprivileged process may only set its soft limit to a value from 0 to the hard limit, and irreversibly lower its hard limit. RETURN VALUES
Returns an associative array of elements for each limit that is defined. Each limit has a soft and a hard limit. List of possible limits returned +-----------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Limit name | | | | | | | Limit description | | | | +-----------+---------------------------------------------------+ | core | | | | | | | The maximum size of the core file. When 0, not | | | core files are created. When core files are | | | larger than this size, they will be truncated at | | | this size. | | | | | totalmem | | | | | | | The maximum size of the memory of the process, | | | in bytes. | | | | |virtualmem | | | | | | | The maximum size of the virtual memory for the | | | process, in bytes. | | | | | data | | | | | | | The maximum size of the data segment for the | | | process, in bytes. | | | | | stack | | | | | | | The maximum size of the process stack, in bytes. | | | | | rss | | | | | | | The maximum number of virtual pages resident in | | | RAM | | | | | maxproc | | | | | | | The maximum number of processes that can be cre- | | | ated for the real user ID of the calling process. | | | | | memlock | | | | | | | The maximum number of bytes of memory that may | | | be locked into RAM. | | | | | cpu | | | | | | | The amount of time the process is allowed to use | | | the CPU. | | | | | filesize | | | | | | | The maximum size of the data segment for the | | | process, in bytes. | | | | |openfiles | | | | | | | One more than the maximum number of open file | | | descriptors. | | | | +-----------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example use of posix_getrlimit(3) <?php $limits = posix_getrlimit(); print_r($limits); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Array ( [soft core] => 0 [hard core] => unlimited [soft data] => unlimited [hard data] => unlimited [soft stack] => 8388608 [hard stack] => unlimited [soft totalmem] => unlimited [hard totalmem] => unlimited [soft rss] => unlimited [hard rss] => unlimited [soft maxproc] => unlimited [hard maxproc] => unlimited [soft memlock] => unlimited [hard memlock] => unlimited [soft cpu] => unlimited [hard cpu] => unlimited [soft filesize] => unlimited [hard filesize] => unlimited [soft openfiles] => 1024 [hard openfiles] => 1024 ) NOTES
Note This is a not POSIX function, but is common on BSD and System V systems. If the system does not support this function, then it will not be included at compile time. This may be checked with function_exists(3). SEE ALSO
man page GETRLIMIT(2). PHP Documentation Group POSIX_GETRLIMIT(3)