Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Strange Characters in Filename Post 16780 by yooness on Wednesday 6th of March 2002 10:23:07 PM
Old 03-06-2002
Hi Kristy,

The correct way was:

a) ls -i

b) find . -inum "the number in (a)" -exec mv \{\} 'give it a name' \;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lines with strange characters and sed...

Dear All: I Have a bunch of files which I'd like to process with a shell script. The problem is that the files have strange characters in their headers, like �g�8@L-000-MSG2__-ABCD________-FIRA_____-000001___-200806181330-__ ��e� Data from BLABLABLA, Instrument: BLABLA, Date:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luiscarvalheiro
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Characters After Using Notepad

Hello all, I'm new to UNIX and new to this forum, so forgive my lack of knowledge. I'm new with editing in vi so I FTP scripts to a Windows machine and edit the script in notepad (when I need to do something quickly). Sometimes when I FTP the script back to the UNIX box, strange characters... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgower2
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk filelist containing strange characters

I've written a script: find -depth | awk ‘ { if ( substr($1,length($0)-2,3) == “/1.” ) { print $1 } { system(“awk -f test1.awk “ $1 ) } } ‘ The idea is that it trundles through a large directory structure looking for files which are named '1.' and then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nashcom
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a file that may contain strange characters

Hello unix users :) I am trying to grep a string from a file that both the file and the string may have characters in them that are quite... strange, like würzburger. Well, bash reads this as W%C3%BCrzburger For example, if i do wget W%C3%BCrzburger the output is: --2012-01-08... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Spanish Characters get converted in strange chrac

I am trying to sftp a textfile from windows to linux. The file includes some spanish characters. When I vi the file in LINUX, the special (spanish) characters get converted into some strange characters. anyone know how i can resolve this? for example México gets converted into México on LINUX. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrx1350
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter last 2 characters of a filename

I have following script to 'archive' some logfiles: for APPHOME in `cat $HOME/archive/apps.cfg` do . $APPHOME/archive/parms.cfg LOGFILES=$(grep "^LOGFILE=" $APPHOME/archive/parms.cfg) for I in $LOGFILES do LOGPATH=$(echo $I |awk -F'=' '{... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oliware
2 Replies

7. Hardware

Strange Characters from ILOM

Hello, I have an x86 server with an ILOM connection that produces strange characters when I perform a start /SP/console, see below: Oracle(R) Integrated Lights Out Manager Version 3.0.16.10.a r68533 Copyright (c) 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. -> start... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
9 Replies

8. Programming

Strange characters in FORTRAN code output

Hi guys, After compiling a .f90 code and executing it, i get strange characters in the output file like : ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ Are these windows characters? how can i get rid of this? Much appreciated. Paul (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the last 9 characters of a filename

Hi All! Please can someone help, I have a dir with the following files: ~-rw-r--r-- 1 emmuser users 2087361 Oct 16 15:50 MPGGSN02_20131007234519_24291.20131007 -rw-r--r-- 1 emmuser users 2086837 Oct 16 15:50 MPGGSN02_20131007233529_24272.20131007 -rw-r--r-- 1 emmuser ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
7 Replies

10. Linux

How can I keep certain characters from appearing in a filename?

hi i know this is irrelevant to the question above but i was wondering how to pt a restriction in the filename in linux. I want that it is impossible to add numbers into the filename, help will be rely great , thanx! This posting was initially given as a reply to an unrelated thread. It has been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samirboss
2 Replies
JOINGROUP(3PVM) 						  PVM Version 3.4						   JOINGROUP(3PVM)

NAME
pvm_joingroup - Enrolls the calling process in a named group. SYNOPSIS
C int inum = pvm_joingroup( char *group ) Fortran call pvmfjoingroup( group, inum ) PARAMETERS
group Character string group name of an existing group. inum Integer instance number returned by the routine. Instance numbers start at 0 and count up. Values less than zero indicate an error. DESCRIPTION
The routine pvm_joingroup enrolls the calling task in the group named group and returns the instance number inum of this task in this group. If there is an error inum will be negative. Instance numbers start at 0 and count up. When using groups a (group, inum) pair uniquely identifies a PVM process. This is consistent with the PVM 2.4 naming schemes. If a task leaves a group by calling pvm_lvgroup and later rejoins the same group, the task is not guaran- teed to get the same instance number. PVM attempts to reuse old instance numbers, so when a task joins a group it will get the lowest available instance number. A task can be a member of multiple groups simultaneously. EXAMPLES
C: inum = pvm_joingroup( "worker" ); Fortran: CALL PVMFJOINGROUP( 'group2', INUM ) ERRORS
These error conditions can be returned by pvm_joingroup PvmSysErr pvmd was not started or has crashed. PvmBadParam giving a NULL group name. PvmDupGroup trying to join a group you are already in. SEE ALSO
pvm_lvgroup(3PVM) 30 August, 1993 JOINGROUP(3PVM)