Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: opening ports
Special Forums Cybersecurity opening ports Post 16756 by PxT on Wednesday 6th of March 2002 12:58:48 PM
Old 03-06-2002
Redhat 7.2 sets up an iptables-based firewall for you automatically during installation. To open a tcp port use something like:

iptables -A INPUT -s <source-ip/wildcard> -p tcp -m tcp --dport <port-number> -j ACCEPT

See the official HOWTo from one of the iptables authors here: http://netfilter.samba.org/unreliabl...WTO/index.html

See also: the iptables man page.

RedHat also comes with a GUI firewall configuration tool I believe.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening files

I am very new to unix. I want to open a file and read one line in at a time. Can anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saarshad001
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Opening CDE

I have installed JASS on one of my sun servers. I am now trying to open for CDE. For that I have done these steps: mv /etc/rc2.d/_S71rpc.JASS.* /etc/rc2.d/S71rpc mv /etc/rc2.d/_S99dtlogin.JASS* /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin but still no CDE. Any advice on this?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
3 Replies

3. AIX

Opening ports

Hi guys, I need to open ports on my AIX machine. The only way I know is to use service name to disable or enable ports which are used by the services. I found in /etc/services that the ports are unidentified. Btw, I want to open port number 11576 and 11577. Need help on this one. Thanks! :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raskita
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening TCP ports

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I'd be grateful if somebody could please help me. I'm trying to open ports 999, 1982 and 1983 but am not having much luck. I used iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 999 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

problem opening TCP ports

Please can somebody help me. I'm trying to open ports 999, 1982 and 1983 but am not having much luck. I used iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 999 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 1982 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Please help with opening a port??

Hello all, I need assistance... I need to open a port # 36677 and have it remain open even after a power cycle. I thought all I needed to do was add it to /etc/services. That was not it... Can someone please tell me how to do this. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
6 Replies

7. Solaris

SMC not opening

I am working with Solaris 9.In that I am trying to open SMC(Solaris Management Console) but when I am clicking it,nothing is opening. Can any1 tell me why it is not opening??:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
1 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Opening ports 8015/8016 restricted to selected IP addresses

Hello there I'm using a vendor-supplied application on RHEL4 that includes a built-in Tcl webserver. The webserver is working but I cannot access it from any computer other than the host workstation. I suspect that the firewall is blocking ports 8015/8016. I have two questions: 1. How do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: craig3201
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who are all opening my datasets,?

Hi, I need a command/script, who opened my dataset, consider a situation like, if a user has opened the dataset few days back then, that command/script should list his/her id. I don't want audit on my dataset, i need only list of users who are using my dataset. Thank you. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbarao12
10 Replies
IPTABLES-XML(8) 														   IPTABLES-XML(8)

NAME
iptables-xml -- Convert iptables-save format to XML SYNOPSIS
iptables-xml [-c] [-v] DESCRIPTION
iptables-xml is used to convert the output of iptables-save into an easily manipulatable XML format to STDOUT. Use I/O-redirection pro- vided by your shell to write to a file. -c, --combine combine consecutive rules with the same matches but different targets. iptables does not currently support more than one target per match, so this simulates that by collecting the targets from consecutive iptables rules into one action tag, but only when the rule matches are identical. Terminating actions like RETURN, DROP, ACCEPT and QUEUE are not combined with subsequent targets. -v, --verbose Output xml comments containing the iptables line from which the XML is derived iptables-xml does a mechanistic conversion to a very expressive xml format; the only semantic considerations are for -g and -j targets in order to discriminate between <call> <goto> and <nane-of-target> as it helps xml processing scripts if they can tell the difference between a target like SNAT and another chain. Some sample output is: <iptables-rules> <table name="mangle"> <chain name="PREROUTING" policy="ACCEPT" packet-count="63436" byte-count="7137573"> <rule> <conditions> <match> <p>tcp</p> </match> <tcp> <sport>8443</sport> </tcp> </conditions> <actions> <call> <check_ip/> </call> <ACCEPT/> </actions> </rule> </chain> </table> </iptables-rules> Conversion from XML to iptables-save format may be done using the iptables.xslt script and xsltproc, or a custom program using libxsltproc or similar; in this fashion: xsltproc iptables.xslt my-iptables.xml | iptables-restore BUGS
None known as of iptables-1.3.7 release AUTHOR
Sam Liddicott <azez@ufomechanic.net> SEE ALSO
iptables-save(8), iptables-restore(8), iptables(8) Jul 16, 2007 IPTABLES-XML(8)