Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Strange Characters in Filename Post 16749 by kristy on Wednesday 6th of March 2002 11:34:24 AM
Old 03-06-2002
Strange Characters in Filename

Hi folks. None of the conventional methods are working for my dilemma:

I have a file in my root directory that has a name comprised of strange characters. When I do an ls, it just hangs at that file until I do a Cntrl-C.

rm ./filename
&
rm \filename
do not work. I am entering the filename by a copy and paste in the Solaris terminal window.

Is there a way to remove the file based on its inode number?
or is there another way?

thanks
-kristy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lines with strange characters and sed...

Dear All: I Have a bunch of files which I'd like to process with a shell script. The problem is that the files have strange characters in their headers, like �g�8@L-000-MSG2__-ABCD________-FIRA_____-000001___-200806181330-__ ��e� Data from BLABLABLA, Instrument: BLABLA, Date:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luiscarvalheiro
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Characters After Using Notepad

Hello all, I'm new to UNIX and new to this forum, so forgive my lack of knowledge. I'm new with editing in vi so I FTP scripts to a Windows machine and edit the script in notepad (when I need to do something quickly). Sometimes when I FTP the script back to the UNIX box, strange characters... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgower2
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk filelist containing strange characters

I've written a script: find -depth | awk ‘ { if ( substr($1,length($0)-2,3) == “/1.” ) { print $1 } { system(“awk -f test1.awk “ $1 ) } } ‘ The idea is that it trundles through a large directory structure looking for files which are named '1.' and then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nashcom
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a file that may contain strange characters

Hello unix users :) I am trying to grep a string from a file that both the file and the string may have characters in them that are quite... strange, like würzburger. Well, bash reads this as W%C3%BCrzburger For example, if i do wget W%C3%BCrzburger the output is: --2012-01-08... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Spanish Characters get converted in strange chrac

I am trying to sftp a textfile from windows to linux. The file includes some spanish characters. When I vi the file in LINUX, the special (spanish) characters get converted into some strange characters. anyone know how i can resolve this? for example México gets converted into México on LINUX. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrx1350
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter last 2 characters of a filename

I have following script to 'archive' some logfiles: for APPHOME in `cat $HOME/archive/apps.cfg` do . $APPHOME/archive/parms.cfg LOGFILES=$(grep "^LOGFILE=" $APPHOME/archive/parms.cfg) for I in $LOGFILES do LOGPATH=$(echo $I |awk -F'=' '{... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oliware
2 Replies

7. Hardware

Strange Characters from ILOM

Hello, I have an x86 server with an ILOM connection that produces strange characters when I perform a start /SP/console, see below: Oracle(R) Integrated Lights Out Manager Version 3.0.16.10.a r68533 Copyright (c) 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. -> start... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
9 Replies

8. Programming

Strange characters in FORTRAN code output

Hi guys, After compiling a .f90 code and executing it, i get strange characters in the output file like : ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ Are these windows characters? how can i get rid of this? Much appreciated. Paul (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the last 9 characters of a filename

Hi All! Please can someone help, I have a dir with the following files: ~-rw-r--r-- 1 emmuser users 2087361 Oct 16 15:50 MPGGSN02_20131007234519_24291.20131007 -rw-r--r-- 1 emmuser users 2086837 Oct 16 15:50 MPGGSN02_20131007233529_24272.20131007 -rw-r--r-- 1 emmuser ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
7 Replies

10. Linux

How can I keep certain characters from appearing in a filename?

hi i know this is irrelevant to the question above but i was wondering how to pt a restriction in the filename in linux. I want that it is impossible to add numbers into the filename, help will be rely great , thanx! This posting was initially given as a reply to an unrelated thread. It has been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samirboss
2 Replies
CHROOT(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							 CHROOT(2)

NAME
chroot -- change root directory LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int chroot(const char *dirname); int fchroot(int fd); DESCRIPTION
dirname is the address of the pathname of a directory, terminated by an ASCII NUL. chroot() causes dirname to become the root directory, that is, the starting point for path searches of pathnames beginning with '/'. In order for a directory to become the root directory a process must have execute (search) access for that directory. If the current working directory is not at or under the new root directory, it is silently set to the new root directory. It should be noted that, on most other systems, chroot() has no effect on the process's current directory. This call is restricted to the super-user. The fchroot() function performs the same operation on an open directory file known by the file descriptor fd. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate an error. ERRORS
chroot() will fail and the root directory will be unchanged if: [ENOTDIR] A component of the path name is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeded {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] The named directory does not exist. [EACCES] Search permission is denied for any component of the path name. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. [EFAULT] dirname points outside the process's allocated address space. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. [EPERM] The effective user ID of the calling process is not the super-user. fchroot() will fail and the root directory will be unchanged if: [EACCES] Search permission is denied for the directory referenced by the file descriptor. [EBADF] The argument fd is not a valid file descriptor. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. [ENOTDIR] The argument fd does not reference a directory. [EPERM] The effective user ID of the calling process is not the super-user. SEE ALSO
chdir(2) STANDARDS
The chroot() function conforms to X/Open System Interfaces and Headers Issue 5 (``XSH5''), with the restriction that the calling process' working directory must be at or under the new root directory. Otherwise, the working directory is silently set to the new root directory; this is an extension to the standard. chroot() was declared a legacy interface, and subsequently removed in IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The chroot() function call appeared in 4.2BSD. Working directory handling was changed in NetBSD 1.4 to prevent one way a process could use a second chroot() call to a different directory to "escape" from the restricted subtree. The fchroot() function appeared in NetBSD 1.4. BSD
April 18, 2001 BSD