Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: opening ports
Special Forums Cybersecurity opening ports Post 16649 by PxT on Tuesday 5th of March 2002 04:13:47 PM
Old 03-05-2002
Are you asking how to open a hole in the firewall? If so, what version of the kernel are you running?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening files

I am very new to unix. I want to open a file and read one line in at a time. Can anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saarshad001
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Opening CDE

I have installed JASS on one of my sun servers. I am now trying to open for CDE. For that I have done these steps: mv /etc/rc2.d/_S71rpc.JASS.* /etc/rc2.d/S71rpc mv /etc/rc2.d/_S99dtlogin.JASS* /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin but still no CDE. Any advice on this?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
3 Replies

3. AIX

Opening ports

Hi guys, I need to open ports on my AIX machine. The only way I know is to use service name to disable or enable ports which are used by the services. I found in /etc/services that the ports are unidentified. Btw, I want to open port number 11576 and 11577. Need help on this one. Thanks! :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raskita
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening TCP ports

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I'd be grateful if somebody could please help me. I'm trying to open ports 999, 1982 and 1983 but am not having much luck. I used iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 999 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

problem opening TCP ports

Please can somebody help me. I'm trying to open ports 999, 1982 and 1983 but am not having much luck. I used iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 999 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 1982 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Please help with opening a port??

Hello all, I need assistance... I need to open a port # 36677 and have it remain open even after a power cycle. I thought all I needed to do was add it to /etc/services. That was not it... Can someone please tell me how to do this. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
6 Replies

7. Solaris

SMC not opening

I am working with Solaris 9.In that I am trying to open SMC(Solaris Management Console) but when I am clicking it,nothing is opening. Can any1 tell me why it is not opening??:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
1 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Opening ports 8015/8016 restricted to selected IP addresses

Hello there I'm using a vendor-supplied application on RHEL4 that includes a built-in Tcl webserver. The webserver is working but I cannot access it from any computer other than the host workstation. I suspect that the firewall is blocking ports 8015/8016. I have two questions: 1. How do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: craig3201
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who are all opening my datasets,?

Hi, I need a command/script, who opened my dataset, consider a situation like, if a user has opened the dataset few days back then, that command/script should list his/her id. I don't want audit on my dataset, i need only list of users who are using my dataset. Thank you. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbarao12
10 Replies
PYROMAN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							PYROMAN(8)

NAME
pyroman - a firewall configuration utility SYNOPSIS
pyroman [ -hvnspP ] [ -r RULESDIR ] [ -t SECONDS ] [ --help ] [ --version ] [ --safe ] [ --no-act ] [ --print ] [ --print-verbose ] [ --rules=RULESDIR ] [ --timeout=SECONDS ] [ safe ] DESCRIPTION
pyroman is a firewall configuration utility. It will compile a set of configuration files to iptables statements to setup IP packet filtering for you. While it is not necessary for operating and using Pyroman, you should have understood how IP, TCP, UDP, ICMP and the other commonly used Internet protocols work and interact. You should also have understood the basics of iptables in order to make use of the full functionality. pyroman does not try to hide all the iptables complexity from you, but tries to provide you with a convenient way of managing a complex networks firewall. For this it offers a compact syntax to add new firewall rules, while still exposing access to add arbitrary iptables rules. OPTIONS
-r RULESDIR,--rules=RULES Load the rules from directory RULESDIR instead of the default directory (usually /etc/pyroman ) -t SECONDS,--timeout=SECONDS Wait SECONDS seconds after applying the changes for the user to type OK to confirm he can still access the firewall. This implies --safe but allows you to use a different timeout. -h, --help Print a summary of the command line options and exit. -V, --version Print the version number of pyroman and exit. -s, --safe, safe When the firewall was committed, wait 30 seconds for the user to type OK to confirm, that he can still access the firewall (i.e. the network connection wasn't blocked by the firewall). Otherwise, the firewall changes will be undone, and the firewall will be restored to the previous state. Use the --timeout=SECONDS option to change the timeout. -n, --no-act Don't actually run iptables. This can be used to check if pyroman accepts the configuration files. -p, --print Instead of running iptables, output the generated rules. -P, --print-verbose Instead of running iptables, output the generated rules. Each statement will have one comment line explaining how this rules was generated. This will usually include the filename and line number, and is useful for debugging. CONFIGURATION
Configuration of pyroman consists of a number of files in the directory /etc/pyroman. These files are in python syntax, although you do not need to be a python programmer to use these rules. There is only a small number of statements you need to know: add_host Define a new host or network add_interface Define a new interface (group) add_service Add a new service alias (note that you can always use e.g. www/tcp to reference the www tcp service as defined in /etc/services) add_nat Define a new NAT (Network Address Translation) rule allow Allow a service, client, server combination reject Reject access for this service, client, server combination drop Drop packets for this service, client, server combination add_rule Add a rule for this service, client, server and target combination iptables Add an arbitrary iptables statement to be executed at beginning iptables_end Add an arbitrary iptables statement to be executed at the end Detailed parameters for these functions can be looked up by caling cd /usr/share/pyroman pydoc ./commands.py BUGS
None known as of pyroman-0.4 release AUTHOR
pyroman was written by Erich Schubert <erich@debian.org> SEE ALSO
iptables(8), iptables-restore(8) iptables-load(8) PYROMAN(8)