Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Symbolic Links for a File
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Symbolic Links for a File Post 16578 by b_u_n_1234 on Monday 4th of March 2002 10:44:09 PM
Old 03-04-2002
Question Symbolic Links for a File

how do i get the list of symbolic link names for a particular file programatically
This User Gave Thanks to b_u_n_1234 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding symbolic links

How can I find all symbolic links across the network to a directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehtad
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Too many levels of symbolic links

Hi, Is there a limit to the number of symbolic links you can have? I tried to vi the symbolic link relating to a file and got the following error: "filename" Too many levels of symbolic links There is only one symbolic link to one file in this case, but there are >2000 other links to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

3. Solaris

cp a dty without symbolic links?

Hi, - we have copy (cp command) to do to save all the contents of a dty BUT we dont want to copy the files corresponding to symbolic links contained whithin this dty - the box is a sun solaris one - and the cp commande do not say avything about that? thanks for help Jakez (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JAKEZ
7 Replies

4. AIX

Symbolic Links

I am linking a directory as follows: ln -sf /home/xxx/userid/real_files/* /home/xxx/userid/linked_files This gives me symbolic links for all the files in the real_files directory in the linked_files directory. My question is, if I go and remove a file in the real_files directory and then go... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcarnesiii
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic links between directories

Hi all, lets consider 2 directories test1 and test2. I want to link test2 to point to test1, how do u do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Zer0
4 Replies

6. Solaris

symbolic links between servers

Hi Guys... I want to create a link using ln -s for a directory that does not exist on the box. How do I do that? I had some files from Box A directory /d1/u01 and I copied the files across to another Box lets say Box B on directory /d2/u02. Now I want a link so that this path /d1/u01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Showing a file's symbolic links

ls -l shows the number of links for each file. Is there a command that will show the link sources for a specific file? Running find on the entire filesystem and doing a little Perl "magic" is the only method I'm aware of. I'm running SunOS 5.8. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: effigy
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links

Hi all, I have scoured the entire forum for this but to no avail unfortunately. Basically, I would like to remove my symbolic link from my folder name i.e. foldername -> /a/b/c/d/f where f is indeed a folder. I have tried rmdir but this does not work and in actual fact deletes the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic links in UNIX

Hi, I have a file with more than 1 layers of soft links for it. For ex. ls -la .profile .profile@ -> /home/act/.profile_abc ls -la /home/act/.profile_abc@ -> .profile_final I want to get the name of the last file (i.e. .profile_final) when I refer to .profile using shell script. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deo_kaustubh
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Symbolic links

Soft link,Hard link brief explanation (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAJU KAVATI
1 Replies
SYMLINK(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SYMLINK(2)

NAME
symlink - make a new name for a file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int symlink(const char *oldpath, const char *newpath); DESCRIPTION
symlink creates a symbolic link named newpath which contains the string oldpath. Symbolic links are interpreted at run-time as if the contents of the link had been substituted into the path being followed to find a file or directory. Symbolic links may contain .. path components, which (if used at the start of the link) refer to the parent directories of that in which the link resides. A symbolic link (also known as a soft link) may point to an existing file or to a nonexistent one; the latter case is known as a dangling link. The permissions of a symbolic link are irrelevant; the ownership is ignored when following the link, but is checked when removal or renam- ing of the link is requested and the link is in a directory with the sticky bit set. If newpath exists it will not be overwritten. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM The filesystem containing newpath does not support the creation of symbolic links. EFAULT oldpath or newpath points outside your accessible address space. EACCES Write access to the directory containing newpath is not allowed for the process's effective uid, or one of the directories in new- path did not allow search (execute) permission. ENAMETOOLONG oldpath or newpath was too long. ENOENT A directory component in newpath does not exist or is a dangling symbolic link, or oldpath is the empty string. ENOTDIR A component used as a directory in newpath is not, in fact, a directory. ENOMEM Insufficient kernel memory was available. EROFS newpath is on a read-only filesystem. EEXIST newpath already exists. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving newpath. ENOSPC The device containing the file has no room for the new directory entry. EIO An I/O error occurred. NOTES
No checking of oldpath is done. Deleting the name referred to by a symlink will actually delete the file (unless it also has other hard links). If this behaviour is not desired, use link. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, SVID, POSIX, BSD 4.3. SVr4 documents additional error codes SVr4, SVID, BSD 4.3, X/OPEN. SVr4 documents additional error codes EDQUOT and ENOSYS. See open(2) re multiple files with the same name, and NFS. SEE ALSO
readlink(2), link(2), unlink(2), rename(2), open(2), lstat(2), ln(1) Linux 2.0.30 1997-08-21 SYMLINK(2)