Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shadow
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shadow Post 16552 by mokie44 on Monday 4th of March 2002 10:12:37 AM
Old 03-04-2002
SCO UNIX 5.0.6

The version of SCO that I am running is Open Server 5.0.6 I have the specific files mentioned in your link configured correctly, but my Informix Dynamic Server is not using them for it's logins. The IDS server only allows local users to login. When I rename or remove the Shadow file it allows the users to login. So, I would like to disconnect the passwd file from the Shadow file. Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shadow Passwords

I'm writing a 'C' program on various systems (HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, NCR) which needs to interact with a user's password. Some of my systems are using the shadow password and some are not. It is possible for some of my systems to have /etc/shadow, even though the box is not using the file (I know,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisc@nwark.ne
4 Replies

2. Solaris

*LK* in /etc/shadow file

my etc/shadow file showing *LK* for a particular user.. can u tell me under which circumstances a user is locked (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow file....

Does anyone know what "!!" represents in the password field of the /etc/shadow file? :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avcert1998
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/shadow without hash

Hi, I am new to shell programming and trying to write a command that would show the etc/shadow file but without the hashes. So, something like this: root: <HASH PASSWORD FOUND BUT OBFUSCATED> daemon: NP bin: NP sys: NP If there is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellomms
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow entry

In /etc/shadow ..we have all the user entries ..? Like when ever an user is created a corresponding entry is created in /etc/shadow...? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rachna
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shadow file

Hi, In shadow file smithj:Ep6mckrOLChF.:10063:0:99999:7::: 3rd Field 10063 indicates the number of days (since January 1, 1970) since the password was last changed. I want to get the result with script the date on which the password was last changed in YYYY-MM-DD format. can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'!!' in /etc/shadow

I notice there are '*'s and '!!'s in my /etc/shadow file. And I know these are for preventing login. But what are the differences among '*', '!' and '!!' ? THX! mail:*:14789:0:99999:7::: uucp:*:14789:0:99999:7::: ... dbus:!!:14919:::::: rpc:!!:14919:0:99999:7::: ...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need your help on permission of /etc/shadow!

Dear all, I need all of you to clarify about file permission and SUID, SGID as below: Command: $ ls -la /etc/passwd -r--r--r-- 1 root root 1914 2011-04-15 11:22 /etc/passwd # I've changed permission of this file $ ls -la /etc/shadow -r--r----- 1 root shadow 1397 2011-08-01 15:53... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: all4cfa
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow file help

As a part of linux hardening In shadow file all Application accounts which are not locked must contain only an asterisk “*” in the Passwd field. But how would i do it by using command? Is there any way other than modifying shadow file to accomplish this task? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need a help with /etc/shadow

Hi, I wanna see the content of the file /etc/shadow.. But i don't have the permission and also the root permission. Still is it possible to view it??? Any tricks?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adhi
5 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)