Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please help me with this script meant for checking /etc/passwd if a name exists Post 16551 by Kelam_Magnus on Monday 4th of March 2002 09:49:04 AM
Old 03-04-2002
Homework or not Homework

Don't get the wrong idea.

I have found that when people, not me, post "homework" questions that they might be answered if you actually post some code that shows that you have done the work and are just having problems working out the bugs.

If, as in some cases, users log in here and just want answers that is frowned upon.

If you have some code that you can post, that would be received more warmly.

Please, post away!

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

checking a connection still exists?

Hi I have a bit of c code which I'm trying to use as a relay between apache and a scgi cluster. Example of problem code is below: while((n = recv(scgiSock, local_data, MAX_LENGTH, 0)) > 0) { time(&t2); time_now = t2 - t1; if(time_now > TIMEOUT) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the file if it exists

Hi This will be useful who is looking for checking the files in a directory #chmod 777 /cronacle/tools/teradata/opo/bin/file_check.sh SUBJECT=`echo "File Not Found"` SUBJECT1=`echo "File Found"` #RECIPIENT=Madhu.Reddy@ge.com cd /cronacle/tools/teradata/opo/bin file_list=attach.sh if ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmbabu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if a file exists

How can I check if a file exists in shell script. Basically, I want to check if a file Test_msgs has been created today. If it has been then append data to it. Otherwise, create it. I have written the following but it does not work. todaysdate=$(date +%d%m%Y) timenow=$(date +%H%M%S)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking textfile exists or not in all directories

Hai All, please help me in solving this assignment!!! i need a unix script that has to check the text file exists or not in all directories and sub directories if textfile exists display the directory path else display does not exists!! example: kamal.txt that i want to search if the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
5 Replies

5. Programming

C++ - Problem in asking and checking user's passwd

This is the source code: #include <pwd.h> #include <iostream> #include <string.h> using namespace std; int main() { struct passwd *user; char login="alex", password="qwertyuiop"; if ((user= getpwnam(login)) == NULL) cout << "No such user\n"; else if... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
24 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if file exists

How can I check if a file exists in csh? I know there is "-e $file" but do not know exactly how to use it. I have tried the below but I'm getting "Bad : modifier in $ ( )." foreach f ($AfullnameLst) if (-e $f) then echo "$f: file exists" endif end (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the difference between -f and -e, when checking for file exists

Hi All, what is the difference between -f and -e. Regards, ch33ry (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if file exists and unzipping

Hey, I am new to scripting and was wondering what is wrong with this if statement. I want to check if file exists and the if it does to unzip it. I program it as follows if ; then gunzip *_filename.gz fi Thanks in advance! Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mostarac2487
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop without checking file exists

In several scripts that process files matched by name pattern I needed to add a check for file existence. Just to illustrate let's say I need to process all N??? files: /tmp$ touch N100 N101 /tmp$ l ?10 -rw-rw-r-- 1 moss group 0 Apr 19 11:22 N100 -rw-rw-r-- 1 moss group ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Code for checking if certain no of files exists

Hi, I am writing the shell script in ksh to check certain no of files exists,In my case there are 7 files exist like below Sales1_timstamp.csv Sales2_timstamp.csv Sales3_timstamp.csv Sales4_timstamp.csv Sales5_timstamp.csv Sales7_timstamp.csv Sales7_timstamp.csv Once all the files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SRPR
4 Replies
post(3FORM)															       post(3FORM)

NAME
post - write or erase forms from associated subwindows SYNOPSIS
#include <form.h> int post_form(FORM *form); int unpost_form(FORM *form); DESCRIPTION
The function post_form displays a form to its associated subwindow. To trigger physical display of the subwindow, use refresh or some equivalent curses routine (the implicit doupdate triggered by an curses input request will do). The function unpost_form erases form from its associated subwindow. RETURN VALUE
These routines return one of the following: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_BAD_ARGUMENT Routine detected an incorrect or out-of-range argument. E_BAD_STATE Routine was called from an initialization or termination function. E_NOT_POSTED The form has not been posted. E_NOT_CONNECTED No items are connected to the form. E_NO_ROOM Form is too large for its window. E_POSTED The form has already been posted. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), form(3FORM). NOTES
The header file <form.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V forms library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. post(3FORM)