Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mounting vfat...
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory mounting vfat... Post 16520 by dimanise on Sunday 3rd of March 2002 08:36:25 PM
Old 03-03-2002
Network mounting vfat...

Hi,
I have a little and very annoying problem.

I want to mount a partition so that most of the files would be owned by a user, then an ftp dir with special previliges set up, and some of the files having write access for all users.

I can't do it anyhow. Right now i have this line in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda6 /windows vfat noauto,user,umask=0000

which comes the closest to what i want, but is a huge security risk. The negative sides of this setup is that i have to manually mount the partition every time i login, and that ALL the files have rwx access for all users. And i don't know how to make an ftp dir with different previliges.

If i put auto in /etc/fstab then all the files will be owned by root, which is what i don't want, it will also not allow to execute files.
If i also put exec that still won't solve the problem.
And if i just don't use umask I somehow can't make a file with writable access by all users.

Maybe there's some way i can make a script which would run on startup or login which would mount the partition and set all the needed previliges?

Thanks in advance.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Newbie: RH Linux: Mounting vfat as readable

Hi there! I have a question about mounting a file system as readable. I have the following line in my fstab for that purpose: /dev/hda1 /mnt/nt vfat defaults 0 0 It mounts the filesystem but I can only read from this, not write :( what do I have to change to make it readable? TIA! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D-Lexy
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mounting...?

Hi everyone, this is the first time I have ever properly used Linux - I run Red Hat Linux 8. I have two hardrives, my main 80gig, and my "extra" 15gig, I would like to be able to gain access to my 15gig and view the files. I know to view files on a floppy disk or a cd you need to mount the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mo0ness
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting help.

Hello, I am trying to mount a second scsi hard drive on a SCO box. (5.0.5.) And I can't figure out what the device file for it is so I can mount it. Can anyone help me? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iconn
1 Replies

4. Solaris

mounting windows(vfat) file system

how can i mount windows file system into solaris using vfstab or mount command. also please tell me how to display the partition information. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajoy patel
1 Replies

5. BSD

Mounting

Hi I mounted disk which have two partition C: , D: ( i am not sure if both partition have same file system) with this commad: mount -t msdosfs /dev/ad2s1 /mnt/windows but this is mounted only first partition with fat file system. ( in windows XP C: ) How can i mount another partition... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper007
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

rdiff-backup using escape codes on vfat thumbdrive

I thought it may be nice to use rdiff-backup to backup my websites to a thumb drive. But all the capital letters are substituted with octal escape codes. How can I over come this? There are no issues backing up to another ext3 drive. The source drive is ext3 the thumb drive is vfat mounted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikemc
0 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

mounting

I generally use mount many times to mount an iso image or as a bind between directories or mounting a squash file system. Y does one require root permission to do a mount --bind between two of his own directories or just mount an iso/squash image in directory he owns? Also I wish mount had an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mounting

I have a big confusion in mounting........so please tell me whats the exact meaning of it nd do other os have this concept or not? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mac91
8 Replies
SWAPON(8)						       System Administration							 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon, swapoff - enable/disable devices and files for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
Get info: swapon -s [-h] [-V] Enable/disable: swapon [-d] [-f] [-p priority] [-v] specialfile... swapoff [-v] specialfile... Enable/disable all: swapon -a [-e] [-f] [-v] swapoff -a [-v] DESCRIPTION
swapon is used to specify devices on which paging and swapping are to take place. The device or file used is given by the specialfile parameter. It may be of the form -L label or -U uuid to indicate a device by label or uuid. Calls to swapon normally occur in the system boot scripts making all swap devices available, so that the paging and swapping activity is interleaved across several devices and files. swapoff disables swapping on the specified devices and files. When the -a flag is given, swapping is disabled on all known swap devices and files (as found in /proc/swaps or /etc/fstab). -a, --all All devices marked as ``swap'' in /etc/fstab are made available, except for those with the ``noauto'' option. Devices that are already being used as swap are silently skipped. -d, --discard Discard freed swap pages before they are reused, if the swap device supports the discard or trim operation. This may improve per- formance on some Solid State Devices, but often it does not. The /etc/fstab mount option discard may be also used to enable discard flag. -e, --ifexists Silently skip devices that do not exist. The /etc/fstab mount option nofail may be also used to skip non-existing device. -f, --fixpgsz Reinitialize (exec /sbin/mkswap) the swap space if its page size does not match that of the current running kernel. mkswap(2) ini- tializes the whole device and does not check for bad blocks. -h, --help Provide help. -L label Use the partition that has the specified label. (For this, access to /proc/partitions is needed.) -p, --priority priority Specify the priority of the swap device. priority is a value between -1 and 32767. Higher numbers indicate higher priority. See swapon(2) for a full description of swap priorities. Add pri=value to the option field of /etc/fstab for use with swapon -a. When priority is not defined it defaults to -1. -s, --summary Display swap usage summary by device. Equivalent to "cat /proc/swaps". Not available before Linux 2.1.25. --show [column,column] Display definable device table similar to --summary output. See --help output for column list. --noheadings Do not print headings when displaying --show output. --raw Display --show output without aligning table columns. --bytes Display swap size in bytes in --show output instead of user friendly size and unit. -U uuid Use the partition that has the speci- fied uuid. -v, --verbose Be verbose. -V, --version Display version. NOTES
You should not use swapon on a file with holes. Swap over NFS may not work. swapon automatically detects and rewrites swap space signature with old software suspend data (e.g S1SUSPEND, S2SUSPEND, ...). The problem is that if we don't do it, then we get data corruption the next time an attempt at unsuspending is made. swapon may not work correctly when using a swap file with some versions of btrfs. This is due to the swap file implementation in the ker- nel expecting to be able to write to the file directly, without the assistance of the file system. Since btrfs is a copy-on-write file system, the file location may not be static and corruption can result. Btrfs actively disallows the use of files on its file systems by refusing to map the file. This can be seen in the system log as "swapon: swapfile has holes." One possible workaround is to map the file to a loopback device. This will allow the file system to determine the mapping properly but may come with a performance impact. ENVIRONMENT
LIBMOUNT_DEBUG=0xffff enables debug output. SEE ALSO
swapon(2), swapoff(2), fstab(5), init(8), mkswap(8), rc(8), mount(8) FILES
/dev/sd?? standard paging devices /etc/fstab ascii filesystem description table HISTORY
The swapon command appeared in 4.0BSD. AVAILABILITY
The swapon command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux September 1995 SWAPON(8)