Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: server harddisk upgrade
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers server harddisk upgrade Post 16502 by #1freebsddude on Saturday 2nd of March 2002 11:56:08 PM
Old 03-03-2002
OK, I shall attempt to help, maybe someone can browse this
and suggest any corrections, if necessary.

I am not a SCO person, but I can try giving you some idea(s).

1. Connect the new drive and create all the necessary slices (I am assuming that each slice is a seperate partition) on it. You will need to make your new drive bootable as well. Of course the scsi id of the new drive has to be different than the old drive unless you are using SCAM (auto SCSI numbering).

2. Mount the n new slices as /new, /user1new, /user2new /user3new

i.e. mount /dev/sd02a /new
mount /dev/sd02b /user1new

3. From every old slice , copy the contents to the corresponding new slice:

cd /user1
find / | cpio -dumpv /user1new

repeat for 1 ... n

4. cd to your new root partition, say /new (meaning anything that was in / on the old drive is in /new slice).

5. Adjust any device/link reference(s) for your old drive with the new drive

6. Adjust/update your /fstab to mount /disk1,2,3 with new device name(s).

7. Shutdown & disconnect old drive, make sure that the scsi id on new drive is adjusted or the scsi bios knows how to reboot from the new drive. Pray hard, reboot to ensure that the new slices mount appropriately.

8. Good Luck!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Aix 5.1 add new harddisk on 7029-6c3 Server

I have some problem to add a fujitsu Model MAT3147NC on my Aix 5.1 Server. When i run the cfgmrg command and after de lspv command, i can see my disk but i think it's missing some drivers to get operational. Thank's for your help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdulude01
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server Upgrade Expert

Hi, I need to employ someone who can manage a large UNIX/NT server upgrade, someone who can do technology refreshes and the like. I am not technical so I need help writing the spec- what experience should I be looking for? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Normanbates
0 Replies

3. SCO

add IInd scsi harddisk in other server

please help me i have two same server sco 5.0.6 and, one server os now not working so i want to add same harddisk to my another same server ,after that i can take backup it is so important please . pankaj raval (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajbraval
6 Replies

4. AIX

mq upgrade from version 6 to 7 in aix server

Hi What are the steps to be followed when upgrading MQ version from 6 to 7 in aix server? cbsdbprd01 # oslevel -s 5300-10-01-0921 cbsdbprd01 # lslpp -l | grep -i mq mqm.base.runtime 6.0.2.1 COMMITTED WebSphere MQ Runtime for mqm.base.samples 6.0.2.1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
0 Replies

5. AIX

Procedure for adding a new harddisk to a server

how will you add new new HDD to server and explain the HDD installation procedure? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopikumar
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Server and Software upgrade

Hi Experts, we are planning to upgrade the End of life servers to new servers and from solaris 8/9 to 11. Server loads are minimum and not heavily loaded. After analysis we came to conclusion to use the below. Can experts out there please let me know whether it make sense or any way we can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundba
3 Replies

7. Debian

Upgrading Ubuntu Server (10.04) using do-release-upgrade

I have a small server in work, essentially a desktop with Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS. For the first time in it's life, I've started to get errors when running scripts involving large files. So before I give up on it, I was thinking of maybe getting the newer version of Ubuntu Server 14.04. I was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Native AIX TL Upgrade on a VIO Server

What happens if we perform a Native AIX TL Upgrade on a VIO server? I mean instead of updateios I logged into oem_setup_env and ran a update_all to a new TL. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wibhore
2 Replies
mount_pcfs(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    mount_pcfs(1M)

NAME
mount_pcfs - mount pcfs file systems SYNOPSIS
mount -F pcfs [generic_options] [-o FSType-specific_options] special | mount_point mount -F pcfs [generic_options] [-o FSType-specific_options] special mount_point DESCRIPTION
mount attaches an MS-DOS file system (pcfs) to the file system hierarchy at the mount_point, which is the pathname of a directory. If mount_point has any contents prior to the mount operation, these are hidden until the file system is unmounted. If mount is invoked with special or mount_point as the only arguments, mount will search /etc/vfstab to fill in the missing arguments, including the FSType-specific_options; see mount(1M) for more details. The special argument can be one of two special device file types: o A floppy disk, such as /dev/diskette0 or /dev/diskette1. o A DOS logical drive on a hard disk expressed as device-name:logical-drive , where device-name specifies the special block device-file for the whole disk and logical-drive is either a drive letter (c through z) or a drive number (1 through 24). Examples are /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p0:c and /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p0:1. The special device file type must have a formatted MS-DOS file system with either a 12-bit, 16-bit, or 32-bit File Allocation Table. OPTIONS
generic_options See mount(1M) for the list of supported options. -o Specify pcfs file system specific options. The following options are supported: foldcase|nofoldcase Force uppercase characters in filenames to lowercase when reading them from the filesystem. This is for compatibility with the pre- vious behavior of pcfs. The default is nofoldcase. FILES
/etc/mnttab table of mounted file systems /etc/vfstab list of default parameters for each file system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mount(1M), mountall(1M), mount(2), mnttab(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), pcfs(7FS) NOTES
If the directory on which a file system is to be mounted is a symbolic link, the file system is mounted on the directory to which the sym- bolic link refers, rather than on top of the symbolic link itself. SunOS 5.10 24 Nov 2003 mount_pcfs(1M)