Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shadow
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shadow Post 16461 by mokie44 on Friday 1st of March 2002 04:16:33 PM
Old 03-01-2002
Error Shadow

Can some one explain to me how to disable the Shadow file or disconnect it from the passwd file. I am trying to configure a UNIX SCO box to use NIS and it continues to look at its own Shadow file. Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shadow Passwords

I'm writing a 'C' program on various systems (HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, NCR) which needs to interact with a user's password. Some of my systems are using the shadow password and some are not. It is possible for some of my systems to have /etc/shadow, even though the box is not using the file (I know,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisc@nwark.ne
4 Replies

2. Solaris

*LK* in /etc/shadow file

my etc/shadow file showing *LK* for a particular user.. can u tell me under which circumstances a user is locked (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow file....

Does anyone know what "!!" represents in the password field of the /etc/shadow file? :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avcert1998
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/shadow without hash

Hi, I am new to shell programming and trying to write a command that would show the etc/shadow file but without the hashes. So, something like this: root: <HASH PASSWORD FOUND BUT OBFUSCATED> daemon: NP bin: NP sys: NP If there is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellomms
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow entry

In /etc/shadow ..we have all the user entries ..? Like when ever an user is created a corresponding entry is created in /etc/shadow...? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rachna
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shadow file

Hi, In shadow file smithj:Ep6mckrOLChF.:10063:0:99999:7::: 3rd Field 10063 indicates the number of days (since January 1, 1970) since the password was last changed. I want to get the result with script the date on which the password was last changed in YYYY-MM-DD format. can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'!!' in /etc/shadow

I notice there are '*'s and '!!'s in my /etc/shadow file. And I know these are for preventing login. But what are the differences among '*', '!' and '!!' ? THX! mail:*:14789:0:99999:7::: uucp:*:14789:0:99999:7::: ... dbus:!!:14919:::::: rpc:!!:14919:0:99999:7::: ...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need your help on permission of /etc/shadow!

Dear all, I need all of you to clarify about file permission and SUID, SGID as below: Command: $ ls -la /etc/passwd -r--r--r-- 1 root root 1914 2011-04-15 11:22 /etc/passwd # I've changed permission of this file $ ls -la /etc/shadow -r--r----- 1 root shadow 1397 2011-08-01 15:53... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: all4cfa
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow file help

As a part of linux hardening In shadow file all Application accounts which are not locked must contain only an asterisk “*” in the Passwd field. But how would i do it by using command? Is there any way other than modifying shadow file to accomplish this task? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need a help with /etc/shadow

Hi, I wanna see the content of the file /etc/shadow.. But i don't have the permission and also the root permission. Still is it possible to view it??? Any tricks?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adhi
5 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd - change password in Network Information Service (NIS) SYNOPSIS
yppasswd [name] DESCRIPTION
Note If Enhanced Security is enabled on your system, use the passwd command to change your password, even if NIS is in use. The yppasswd command lets you change your password in the Network Information Service (NIS) map, a network data base service. Only you or the superuser can change your NIS password. When you enter the yppasswd command, the program prompts you for the old password and then for the new password. Note that the passwords are not displayed on the screen. Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly. If you do not type the passwords cor- rectly, you will receive an error message after you enter the new password. Your new NIS password must meet one of the following requirements: It must be a combination of at least six alphanumeric characters, or It must be a minimum of four characters, with at least one being non-alphanumeric, such as a control sequence. Note The passwd command does not change the NIS password. This command only changes the local password file (/etc/passwd), and not the NIS mas- ter password file. ERRORS
Your new password does not meet the minimum length requirement. You misspelled your new password or its verification. Your new password can not be activated. It must be different from your old password and your login name. FILES
Password file NIS directory SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passwd(4), ypfiles(4), yppasswdd(8) Network Administration yppasswd(1)