Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vxdmp doubt
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vxdmp doubt Post 16453 by rwb1959 on Friday 1st of March 2002 02:31:12 PM
Old 03-01-2002
You can run...

vxdump -W

...this will print the most recent dump date and
level, indicating which file systems should be
dumped.

Also, vxrestore -t will list the contents of
the tape.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

One doubt

Hi, Can i use the shell script like this? When i am running the script it is hanging not giving me any output. I can redirect the output and then i can do the manipulations also but why this one is wrong. I am confused we can do like this or not.. #!/usr/bin/ksh for line in `top` do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt??

I jus want to know the meaning of the below command line(exclamation following that re-direction) sqlplus -s `cat /home/sample.txt` <<! Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nohup
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

doubt in df -h

in my parition i hav parition like this Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda2 24G 22G 756M 97% / /dev/sda5 248G 1.2G 234G 1% /else /dev/sda1 965M 24M 892M 3% /boot tmpfs 7.0G 0 7.0G 0%... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt

Hi , Struck with one basic question. Iam expecting word count of 4 where "wc" is showing as 5 . # echo "abcd" | wc 1 1 5 # echo abcd | wc 1 1 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchal_boddu
5 Replies

5. AIX

how to Enable VxDMP & Disable MPIO?

Hello people. I am new to AIX & dealing with VxDMP. The server has AIX 7.1, storage is Hitachi. I have 4 paths from my server to the array. However, the vxdmp shows only single path. I went through some discussions & realized that it is because of MPIO. Then, I did following - *... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkiran
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Doubt

How to create a file with specific size in RHEL6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sashi Kanth A
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Doubt

in my shell script requirement is to search and replace the file with variable so i use the following command sed -i "s/abc/$SCHEMA/g" table.sql later when the script runs sqlplus username/pwd@Table& this & is not letting the variable to replace the value inside the file .please let me know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhuvan1
1 Replies
vxdump(1M)																vxdump(1M)

NAME
vxdump, rvxdump - incremental VxFS file system dump, local or across network SYNOPSIS
blocksize] records] density] filename] size] time] tracks] filesystem blocksize] records] density] filename] size] time] filesystem option [argument]... filesystem option [argument]... filesystem DESCRIPTION
copies to magnetic tape all files in the filesystem that have been changed after a certain date. This information is derived from the files and a timestamp file, by default copies the files to a tape drive on a remote system. runs a process, on the remote machine to access the tape device. and support both and traditional command line invocations as shown above. The original command line style is supported for compatibility with previous versions of and for synonymy with the existing program used for hfs file systems. For the traditional command line style, option consists of characters from the set without any intervening white space. On most devices detects end-of-media and prompts you to change the media if there is insufficient space, so it is not necessary to specify the size of the device. However, if the dump will require multiple tapes and the tapes are to be read using an older version of or if the tape device handles end-of-media in a way that doesn't recognize, then you must specify the size of the device using the option or a combi- nation of the options. Options If no arguments are given, the options are assumed to be and a default file system is dumped to the default tape. recognizes the following options: number is a single digit in the range [0-9] and indicates the dump level. All files modified since the last date stored in the timestamp file for the same file system at a lesser dump level will be dumped. Thus, the option dumps the entire file system. If no date is determined by the level, the beginning of (UNIX) time is assumed. The number of logical records per volume. The logical record size is 1024 bytes. records can also be specified with a suffix to indicate a unit of measure other than 1024 bytes. You can append a or to the number to indicate that the value is in kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes, respectively. This option overrides the calculation of tape size based on length and density. The blocking factor is taken from the blocksize option argument. (default is 63 if is not specified). Block size is defined as the logical record size times the blocking factor. writes logical records of 1024 bytes. Older versions of used a blocking factor of 10 for tapes with densities less than 6250 BPI, and 32 for tapes with densities of 6250 BPI or greater. dynamically determines the blocking factor. Cartridge. Specifies using a cartridge instead of the standard half-inch reel. This sets the density to 1000 BPI and the blocking factor to 63. The length is set to 425 feet. -c is incompatible with the -d option, unless you specify a density of 1000 BPI with that option. The density of the tape (expressed in BPI) used to calculate the amount of tape used per tape reel. If is specified, a default density value of 1600 is assumed for a reel tape. Place the dump on the file filename instead of the tape. If the name of the file is writes to the standard output. This option can be of the form to specify a tape device on a remote machine. Whenever requires operator attention, notify all users in group by means similar to that described by wall(1M). Use rather than for timestamp information. size is the size of the dump tape, specified in feet. When the specified size is reached, waits for reels to be changed. If is specified, a default size value of 2300 is assumed for a reel tape. -t tracks Specifies the number of tracks for a cartridge tape. The default is nine tracks. -t is not compatible with the -d option. Use the specified date as the starting time for the dump instead of the time determined from looking in the timestamp file. The format of date is the same as that of This option is useful for automated dump scripts that wish to dump over a specific period of time. o You can specify only for incremental dumps; using for a level 0 dump returns an error. o is mutually exclusive with the option. o If you enter an improperly formatted date, returns an error message and terminates the dump. If the dump completes successfully, write in the timestamp file the date when the dump started. This file records a separate date for each file system and each dump level. The format of the timestamp file is user-readable and consists of one free-format record per line: file system name, increment level and dump date in format. The timestamp file can be edited to change any of the fields if necessary. The option is ignored for partial dumps. For each file system in the timestamp file print the most recent dump date and level, indicating which file systems should be dumped. If is specified, all other options are ignored and exits immediately. Operate like but print only file systems that need to be dumped. Operands recognizes the following operand: filename Name of the file that contains a list of all files in the to be copied to magnetic tape. Operator Interaction requires operator intervention for any of the following conditions: o end of tape o end of dump o tape-write error o tape-open error o disk-read error (if errors exceed threshold of 32). In addition to alerting all operators implied by the option, interacts with the control terminal operator by posing questions requiring or answers when it can no longer proceed or if there is a serious problem. Because making a full dump typically requires considerable time, establishes a checkpoint at the start of each tape volume. If, for any reason, writing that volume fails, with operator permission, restarts from the checkpoint after the old tape is rewound and removed and a new tape is mounted. periodically reports information to the operator, including estimates (typically low) of the number of blocks to write, the number of tapes it requires, time required to complete, and the time remaining until tape change. The output is verbose to inform other users that the terminal controlling is busy and will be for some time. Compatibility The dump tape format is independent of the VxFS disk layout. A dump of a file system with the Version 4 disk layout can be restored on a file system using the Version 2 disk layout or even a file system of another file system type, with the following exceptions: o Files larger than 2 GB cannot be restored by earlier versions of If a file larger than 2 GB is encountered, an older skips the file and returns this message: o Files larger than 2 GB cannot be restored on a file system that does not support large files (see mount_vxfs(1M)). o A file with a large uid (user ID of the file owner) or large gid (group ID of the file owner) cannot be restored correctly on a file system that does not support large IDs. Instead, the owner and/or group of the file will be that of the user invoking (A large ID is a value greater than 65535. The VxFS Version 2 disk layout does not support large IDs). o Files with VxFS extent attributes (see setext(1M)) cannot be restored on a file system of a type that does not support extent attributes. If you use to produce a dump intended for an earlier version of and if the dump requires multiple tapes, you should use the or option. Dumps produced by older versions of can be read by the current version of Notes Perform dumps with the file system unmounted or the system in single-user environment (see init(1M)) to ensure a consistent dump. If you have the HP OnLineJFS product installed, the dump can be performed in the multi-user environment using a snapshot file system with the online backup facility (see the option of mount_vxfs(1M)). Up to 32 read errors on the file system are ignored. Each reel requires a new process; parent processes for reels already written remain until the entire tape is written. does not dump information about ACLs, therefore does not restore information about ACLs. Neither nor work with Storage Checkpoints. A version of resides in for use when the system is in single user state. EXAMPLES
In the following example, assume that the file system is normally attached to the file tree at the root directory, In this example, the entire file system is dumped on and the size of the tape is 2 gigabytes. Using the traditional command line syntax and specifying the tape size in logical records: The option argument goes with the option letter as it is the first option letter that requires an option argument. The option argument goes with the option letter as it is the second option letter that requires an option argument. AUTHOR
and are based on the and programs from the 4.4 Berkeley Software Distribution, developed by the the University of California, Berkeley, and its contributors. FILES
Default legacy DSF tape unit to dump to. Default persistent DSF tape unit to dump to. New format-dump-date record. This is the default file for VxFS. New format-dump-date record. Can be substituted for by using the /CR -o option. Dump table: file systems and frequency. Mounted file system table. Used to find group SEE ALSO
dump(1M), init(1M), mount(1M), mount_vxfs(1M), rmt(1M), setext(1M), vxrestore(1M), wall(1M), close(2), open(2), ctime(3C), getopt(3C), fstab(4), mnttab(4). vxdump(1M)