Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vxdmp doubt
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vxdmp doubt Post 16453 by rwb1959 on Friday 1st of March 2002 02:31:12 PM
Old 03-01-2002
You can run...

vxdump -W

...this will print the most recent dump date and
level, indicating which file systems should be
dumped.

Also, vxrestore -t will list the contents of
the tape.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

One doubt

Hi, Can i use the shell script like this? When i am running the script it is hanging not giving me any output. I can redirect the output and then i can do the manipulations also but why this one is wrong. I am confused we can do like this or not.. #!/usr/bin/ksh for line in `top` do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt??

I jus want to know the meaning of the below command line(exclamation following that re-direction) sqlplus -s `cat /home/sample.txt` <<! Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nohup
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

doubt in df -h

in my parition i hav parition like this Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda2 24G 22G 756M 97% / /dev/sda5 248G 1.2G 234G 1% /else /dev/sda1 965M 24M 892M 3% /boot tmpfs 7.0G 0 7.0G 0%... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt

Hi , Struck with one basic question. Iam expecting word count of 4 where "wc" is showing as 5 . # echo "abcd" | wc 1 1 5 # echo abcd | wc 1 1 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchal_boddu
5 Replies

5. AIX

how to Enable VxDMP & Disable MPIO?

Hello people. I am new to AIX & dealing with VxDMP. The server has AIX 7.1, storage is Hitachi. I have 4 paths from my server to the array. However, the vxdmp shows only single path. I went through some discussions & realized that it is because of MPIO. Then, I did following - *... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkiran
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Doubt

How to create a file with specific size in RHEL6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sashi Kanth A
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Doubt

in my shell script requirement is to search and replace the file with variable so i use the following command sed -i "s/abc/$SCHEMA/g" table.sql later when the script runs sqlplus username/pwd@Table& this & is not letting the variable to replace the value inside the file .please let me know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhuvan1
1 Replies
dump(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   dump(8)

Name
       dump - create file system dump

Syntax
       /etc/dump [ key [ argument... ] filesystem ]

Description
       The command copies all files changed after a certain date from a specified filesystem to a file, a pipe, magnetic tapes, or disks.  The key
       specifies the date and other options to be used by

Dumping a filesystem requires operator attention.  An operator must intervene when the end of a tape or disk is reached, when  the  end	of
       the  occurs, or when an unrecoverable input disk read error occurs (if more than 32 read errors occur).	In addition to alerting all opera-
       tors in the operator group, interacts with the operator at the control terminal when can no longer proceed,  or	if  something  is  grossly
       wrong.  All questions that poses must be answered by typing yes or no.

Because	a  full  dump  uses considerable system time, checkpoints itself at the start of each tape or disk volume.  If writing that volume
       fails, asks the operator to restart from the checkpoint after the present tape or disk has been replaced.

The utility reports to the operator periodically, giving usually low estimates of the number of blocks to write, the  number  of  tapes	or
       disks the dump will take, the time to completion, and the time until the tape or disk must be changed.  The output is verbose, so that oth-
       ers know that the terminal controlling is busy, and will be for some time.

This utility supports EOT handling which allows the use of multiple media.  The utility prompts for the next volume when it encounters  the
       end of the current volume.

Options
       With the command, you specify a string of one or more of the options described below.  If no options are specified, the key 9u is assumed.

0-9     Specifies  the  dump  level.  All files that were modified since the last date stored in the file for the same filesystem at lesser
	       levels will be dumped.  If no date is determined by the level, the beginning of time is assumed.  Thus,	the  level  0  causes  the
	       entire filesystem to be dumped.

B       Indicates  that the next argument is a number that specifies the size, in 1024-byte blocks, of a storage medium, such as a diskette
	       or removable disk cartridge.  See the first example.

d       Indicates that the density of the tape, expressed in bits per inch, is taken from the next argument.  This density is used in  cal-
	       culating the amount of tape used per reel.  The default density is 1600 bpi.

f       Places  the  dump  on  the file or device specified by the next argument.  If the name of the file is -, writes to standard output.
	       The default dump device is

n       Notifies, by means similar to a command, all users in the group operator when needs operator attention.

S       Prints output file size in bytes, or number of volumes for devices.  See the third example.

s       Indicates that the next argument specifies the size of the dump tape, in feet.  When the specified size is reached, waits  for  the
	       reel to be changed.  The default tape size is 2300 feet.

u       Writes the date of the beginning of the dump on the file if the completes successfully.	This file records a separate date for each
	       filesystem and each dump level.	The format of consists of one free format record per line: filesystem name,  increment	level  and
	       format dump date.  The superuser can carefully edit to change any of the fields.

W       Tells the operator which file systems need to be dumped.  This information is taken from the files and The W option causes to print
	       out, for each file system in the most recent dump date and level, and highlights those file systems that should be dumped.  If  the
	       W option is used, all other options are ignored, and exits immediately.

w       Lists only those filesystems that need to be dumped.

Examples
       This example dumps the filesystem to RX50 diskettes.  The option is needed when running to read this dump.
       dump 9Bf 400 /dev/rra2a /dev/ra0a
       This example dumps the filesystem to a 6250 bpi tape on a TU78 tape drive:
       dump 0undf 6250 /dev/rmt?h /usr/users
       This example reports number of bytes to be output for a level 0 dump of the root file system.  Please note: the file test is not created.
       dump 0Sf test /

Restrictions
       The programs returns a 1 on successful completion.

Sizes are based on 1600-bpi blocked tape.

Anything fewer than 32 read errors on the filesystem are ignored.

Each reel requires a new process, so parent processes for reels already written remain until the entire tape is written.

Files
       Default filesystem to dump from

Default tape unit to dump to

Dump date record

Dump table: file systems and frequency

Operator group definition

Required for user interface

See Also
       dump(5), fstab(5), opser(8), restore(8), rrestore(8c)
       Guide to Backup and Restore

dump(8)