Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers changing directories (i'm sure there is a simple solution for this) Post 16316 by LivinFree on Thursday 28th of February 2002 01:30:49 AM
Old 02-28-2002
What about using a function?

Put something like this in your .profile or .bash_profile:

goto () {
${PWD%/*/*/*}/${1}/${PWD#/*/*/*/}
}

Then you could be in /usr/bin/xtra/test/test3/, type "goto null", and you'd then be in /usr/bin/null/test/test3/.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

a very simple question (but i don't know)

how to write a program that receive a string from keyboard and then print it out. i write a program: main() { char str; gets(str); printf(str); } but when i compile it, the system said something like "new line is not last charicter" and sometime the system said "a3.c is up to date"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list file's by size order in sepecfied directory and sub directories

How do I list files of type "*.file" for example by size order recursively ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ferretman
2 Replies

3. Programming

may be simple but i don't know -- Print current date from C program

How to print current date of the Unix system accessing thru C++ program ? I wrote like this #include <time.h> ....... time_t tt; struct tm *tod; .... time(&tt); tod = localtime(&tt); cout << tod->tm_mon + 1 << "/" << tod->tm_mday << "/" ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ls1429
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing IP's

How do you change an IP address of an interface. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hordak
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias's & Functions - simple question

Having a memory lapse: If I redefine a command using an alias or a function - How do I access the "real" command without specifying an absoulte path: i.e. function man { /usr/bin/man |more } alias ls='/usr/bin/ls -l' How do I specify the ls or man command above without the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kornshellmaven
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

here's how i did a very simple install of invidia drivers

ok i got the nvida drivers for mandrake9 rpm there is 3 rpms you must have glx ,kernel and something else email me if you want the precompiled drivers :: email removed :: once i got the drivers in stalled then i reseted the computer then i put the 1cd of mandrake9 in and did a upgrade i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2000
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent solution for simple sed

Hi Im running this command on AIX in ksh. My input file samp1 contains 1 2 123 12345 When I execute the following sed i dont get a matching pattern sed -n '/{1}/p' samp1 Can anyone help me with this simple thing (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav288
3 Replies
PWD(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    PWD(1)

NAME
pwd -- return working directory name SYNOPSIS
pwd [-LP] DESCRIPTION
pwd writes the absolute pathname of the current working directory to the standard output. The following options are available: -L If the PWD environment variable is an absolute pathname that contains neither "/./" nor "/../" and references the current directory, then PWD is assumed to be the name of the current directory. -P Print the physical path to the current working directory, with symbolic links in the path resolved. The default for the pwd command is -P. pwd is usually provided as a shell builtin (which may have a different default). EXIT STATUS
The pwd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cd(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), getcwd(3) STANDARDS
The pwd utility is expected to be conforming to IEEE Std 1003.1 (``POSIX.1''), except that the default is -P not -L. BUGS
In csh(1) the command dirs is always faster (although it can give a different answer in the rare case that the current directory or a con- taining directory was moved after the shell descended into it). pwd -L relies on the file system having unique inode numbers. If this is not true (e.g., on FAT file systems) then pwd -L may fail to detect that PWD is incorrect. BSD
October 30, 2003 BSD