Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I delete files older than 7 days? Post 16189 by witt on Tuesday 26th of February 2002 07:35:57 PM
Old 02-26-2002
Hello !

No problem to search file through subdirectories.

Look this :

DESCRIPTION
The find utility recursively descends the directory hierar-
chy for each path seeking files that match a Boolean expres-
sion written in the primaries given below.

This description is in the man. Any doubt, execute "man find" into unix command line.

Witt
witt

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete files older than 7 days

can anyone tell me how I would write a script in ksh on AIX that will delete files in a directory older than 7 days? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files and folders older than 3 days

find /basedirectory -type f -mtime +3 >> /tmp/tempfile find /basedirectory -type d -mtime +3 >> /tmp/tempfile mailx -s "List of removed files and folders" myemail@domain.com < /tmp/te mpfile rm /tmp/tempfile find /basedirectory -type f -mtime +3 -exec rm {} \; find /basedirectory -type d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete files older than 30 days

This is driving me crazy. How can I delete files in a specifc directory that are over 30 days old? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlphillips
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than certain days - Wrong !!!

Guys, I had raised a question about deleting files older than today in a specific directory and i got this as an answer find ${ARCH_DEST}/*.gz -mtime +0 -exec rm -f {} \; What happens when there aren't files that meet this criteria ? Can it delete any other directories ? I had a shocking... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamathg
22 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files more than 15 days older

i have to delete files which are older than 15 days or more except the ones in the directory Current and also *.sh files i have found the command for files 15 days or more older find . -type f -mtime +15 -exec ls -ltr {} \; but how to implement the logic to avoid directory Current and also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Delete files older than 30 days

Hi all, I want to delete log files with extension .log which are older than 30 days. How to delete those files? Operating system -- Sun solaris 10 Your input is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Regards, Williams (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: William1482
2 Replies

7. AIX

How do i delete files older than 15 days in AIX?

Hi i have tried searching and googling, but cant quite get there I need to delete all files in a directory that are older than 15 days here is what i have tried find /path/to/files* -mtime +15 -exec del {} \;the first section works find /path/to/files* -mtime +15but the del command dosent... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluesteel
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than X days.

Hi All, I am using below code to delete files older than 2 days. In case if there are no files, I should log an error saying no files to delete. Please let me know, How I can achive this. find /path/*.xml -mtime +2 Thanks and Regards Nagaraja. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete 5 days older files from sftp

As one of our requirement was to connect to remote Linux server through SFTP connection and delete some files which are older than 7 days. I used the below piece of code for that, SFTP_CONNECTION=`sftp user_id@host ... cd DESIRED_DIR; find /path/to/files* -mtime +5 -exec rm -rf {} \; bye... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
2 Replies
FTFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FTFF(1)

NAME
ftff - fault tolerant file find utility SYNOPSIS
ftff [-#fFhIpq][-t#][start_directory] file_to_find DESCRIPTION
ftff recursively descends the directory hierarchy and reports all objects in the file system with a name that approximately matches the given filename. ftff achieves fault tolerance by calculating the so called Weighted Levenshtein Distance. The Levenshtein Distance is defined as the minimum number of character insertions, deletions and replacements that transform a string A into a string B. ftff behaves like 'find start_directory -name file_to_find -print' with the following differences: - ftff is fault tolerant - ftff is NOT case sensitive - the level of fault tolerance can be adjusted by specifying the optional parameter tolerance. A tolerance of 0 specifies exact match. OPTIONS
-h Prints a little help/usage information. -f Follow symbolic links on directories. Note: a symbolic link like "somewhere -> .." causes naturally an endless loop. By default ftff does not follow symbolic links to directories. -F Classify the file type by appending a character to each file name. This character is: '*' for regular files that are executable '/' for directories '@' for symbolic links '|' for FIFOs '=' for sockets -p print the actual distance value in front of the filename. This value is equal to the number of insertions, deletions and replace- ments necessary to transform the file that was found into the search key (the file_to_find). -q keep quiet and do not print any warning about non readable directories. -# or -t# Set the fault tolerance level to #. The fault tolerance level is an integer in the range 0-255. It specifies the maximum number of errors permitted in finding the approximate match. The default tolerance is (strlen(searchpattern) - number of wildcards)/6 + 1 -I Do case sensitive search (default is case in-sensitive) file_to_find The filename to search for. '*' and '?' can be used as wildcards. '?' denotes one single character. '*' denotes an arbitrary number of characters. start_directory The directory to start the search. The current directory is the default. The last argument to ftff is not parsed for options as the program needs at least one file-name argument. This means that ftff -x will not complain about a wrong option but search for the file named -x. EXAMPLE
ftff samething This will e.g. find a file called something or sameting or sum-thing or ... To find all files that start with any prefix, have something like IOComm in between and end on a two letter suffix: ftff '*iocomm.??' To find all files that exactly start with the prefix DuPeg: ftff -0 'dupeg*' BUGS
The wildcards '?' and '*' can not be escaped. These characters function always as wildcards. This is however not a big problem since there is normally hardly any file that has these characters in its name. AUTHOR
Guido Socher (guido@linuxfocus.org) SEE ALSO
whichman(1), find(1) Search utilities August 1998 FTFF(1)