Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: about exe file
Top Forums Programming about exe file Post 16151 by AtleRamsli on Tuesday 26th of February 2002 08:34:37 AM
Old 02-26-2002
I am now assuming that you are new to programming and Unix, and that you see this from the perspective of someone entering from the outside:

"Hey, there are two systems here, I want my program to run on both of them"

The simple answer is: Forget it. The different systems are made for different purposes, and in principle, there is no reason to want to run the same binary on both.

The better answer is:
You have made a Windows program and want it tu run under Linux.
Make sure it runs under Wine (www.winehq.org) - I have one example program at users.skynet.be/atle/acuwine.tgz

Then, remember: This program will ONLY run on a PC.

The best way is to make sure programs are source compatible, that they don't use any win32-specific calls, that they are made using autoconf.

That way, your programs will run on Apple ][, Cray T3, Dec Alpha, TRS-80 Model-16 running Xenix, ND-100 running SinTran, PC running DOS - and Linux and Windows.

This may be confusing, but it will seem natural in a short while.
Read about the i386, the SPARC/UltraSPARC, compare binary codes, read about the Linux kernel, read Matt Petrek 'Undocumented Windows'.

After that last one, you will even wonder that anything runs at all :-)

Atle

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

link with others .exe file

hi all, i need your help, want syntax can i write in my programming file so i can combine one executable file with another executable file when i select my executeable file (based on unix operating system)? :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lala
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.exe file

Hello all, how to run windows .exe file in Linux and vice the versa (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
3 Replies

3. Programming

how To edit exe to insert a serial no wich can be usd by runing exe

At time of installation I have to open the resource. and i have to insert a string serial number in the exe. please provide me code to edit the exe (in solaris) to insert a serial number which can be used by exe at run time. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssahu
6 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to run .exe file

Hello, I have an test.exe file under a directory. When i execute the .exe file directory from the prompt, i get following error: $ test.exe <enter> ksh: test.exe: not found How do i solve this error? TIA, Ramesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brap45
1 Replies

5. Programming

how to get result from exe file using java

hello i have problem getting result from exe file using java i have exe file (inducer.exe) when i open in command line it i have to put two inputs function name file name i had make bat file which work OK until opening the program bat file contain inducer.exe //OK with this it open... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vip_a1
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract .exe file

guys! any clue how to extract .exe file in linux? Regards, Kiran (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dddkiran
3 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Invoke an exe file!!

Hello, Thank you for reading my Thread. I am very very new to Perl / Shell Scripting here. I m assigned some tasks here. I have an exe file on our server. I have to navigate to the path and invoke the exe file. Can someone please guide me with that. Thanks you, Skaranth (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skaranth
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to convert .sh to .exe file

Hi, I have prepared 1 .sh script that is running fine in UNIX box. Now I wanted to run that script from windows box. I am thinking of converting it to .exe so that can run this in windows server and use it. Overview: Script basically checks for some values in logs of process running in unix box... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankush_mehra
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to execute an exe file from my location

Hello all, Am facing a peculiar problem, I have copied a utility exe from a bin folder into my local temp folder. I am trying to execute that exe, but it throws out an error saying "No such file or directory". I have given 755 & 777 permissions to it and I tried, but it still throws out that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to convert to exe file

Hello Gurus, I have written one shell script will check the database healths. Now I want to convert the ksh script to a executable one so that I can install it as a software like windows to any unix systems. How I will achieve this? Thanks- p (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
12 Replies
UNAME(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  UNAME(1)

NAME
uname -- Print operating system name SYNOPSIS
uname [-amnprsv] DESCRIPTION
The uname utility writes symbols representing one or more system characteristics to the standard output. The following options are available: -a Behave as though all of the options -mnrsv were specified. -m print the machine hardware name. -n print the nodename (the nodename may be a name that the system is known by to a communications network). -p print the machine processor architecture name. -r print the operating system release. -s print the operating system name. -v print the operating system version. If no options are specified, uname prints the operating system name as if the -s option had been specified. SEE ALSO
hostname(1), machine(1), sw_vers(1), uname(3) STANDARDS
The uname utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -p option is an extension to the standard. BSD
November 9, 1998 BSD