Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vmstats interpreting
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users vmstats interpreting Post 15985 by Perderabo on Friday 22nd of February 2002 11:56:55 AM
Old 02-22-2002
What do you mean by "wire"? I haven't heard that term in relation to vmstat before.

Again I don't know your system, but active memory is normally memory which has been used in the past 20 seconds (and perhaps a few other pages that waiting for disk operation to finish that somehow has exceeded 20 seconds). "free memory" is on the free list and can be reused at will. In between you have some stuff that is not free but hasn't been used recently either. Run this command line:
sleep 100000
and the process you create will be active for 20 seconds. After that, no it isn't free, nor is it active. I've seen inactive telnet sessions that last for months waiting the next command. When memory like this is freed, it tends to stay freed for a long time. Active memory is a real problem...you page it out and you will probably need to page it back in very quickly.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interpreting netstat -s

Are there any references I can look up for to interprete "netstat -s", especially those on TCP statistics. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaniyoer
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shellscript Interpreting

I am trying to interpret the following shellscript and am having a very difficult time. Could one of you Unix gurus pleasssseeee help me out? You just won't know how much of a life saver you would be for me. PN=`basename "$0"` # Program name VER=`echo '$Revision: 1.2 $' | cut -d' ' -f2` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ann
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

interpreting email log: ndel=

My user claims that some of her email disappeared. I went through the mail log and it seems that she deleted the messages herself from home via webmail. Here are the entries in the mail log: Nov 25 21:27:38 wp5 ipop3d: Login user=somebody@somewhere.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mstarcom
1 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris way if interpreting devices?

Hi all, I wanted to know the solaris way of interpreting devices? I mean i understand all those c0t0....stuff but when i start mounting devices , most of the times i get either a I/O error or it says that the directory does not exist. eg: I have a external usb hub to which i have connected... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

5. Linux

Interpreting the encrypted shadow password?

We are currently using a script to copy the same encrypted password between our HP-UX and Solaris servers editing the trusted and shadow files directly. The encrypted password is only 13 characters long on both servers and decrypts the same way. Is there a way to copy this same string to Linux... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

interpreting netstat output

hi all, when I run- wcars1j5#netstat -an | grep 8090 127.0.0.1.8090 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN wcars1j5# 1. does this mean that no one is connected to this port? Regards, akash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help interpreting a function

Hi, i was reading through a sample coding and came across this function, can anyone pls help to interpret the code for me. Thank alot find_lines() { res=-1 if ; then grep -i "$@" $FILENAME res=$? fi return $res } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Interpreting xntpdc output.

Hi. I wonder what the equal sign in front of the answer means. I have read man pages and googled but found no answer. xntpdc -p =15.5.64.3 15.5.2.51 3 512 377 0.02060 0.057426 0.04965Thanks. Jan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vettec3
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpreting multiple values from a variable

Hi, I am writing a shell script which will check the status of a resource in a cluster and then display nicely to a user running the script at command line. Basically the script runs a status command and then pulls certain keywords from the return and then should display a concise status. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
5 Replies
SPICY-SNAPSHOT(1)					      General Commands Manual						 SPICY-SNAPSHOT(1)

NAME
spicy-snapshot - Spice screen-shot capture tool SYNOPSIS
spicy-snapshot [--uri=<uri>] [-h, --host=<host>] [-p, --port=<port>] [-s, --secure-port=<port>] [-w, --password=<password>] [-o, --out-file=<filename>] [--version] [-?, --help] DESCRIPTION
spicy-snapshot connects to Spice server and capture screen-shot to a ppm format file, the default file name is snappy.ppm OPTIONS
--uri= <uri> Spice server uri. -h, --host=<host> Spice server address. -p, --port=<port> Spice server port -s, --secure-port=<port> Spice server secure port -w, --password=<password> Spice server password -o, --out-file=<filename> Output file name (default snappy.ppm) --version Display spicy-snapshot version -?, --help Display help information SEE ALSO
spicec(1) spicy(1) Spice related documents can be found at http://www.spice-space.org/documentation.html AUTHOR
Spice project This manual page was written by Liang Guo <bluestonechina@gmail.com>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. August 15, 2011 SPICY-SNAPSHOT(1)