Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding out the length of a string held within a variable Post 15750 by inquirer on Tuesday 19th of February 2002 07:02:54 AM
Old 02-19-2002
try ...

let count=`$variable | wc -c`-1
echo $count

Smilie
inquirer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to create variable, value not being held

I tried creating a variable with the awk command. The correct value is being printed to the screen; however, the variable max is not being set. The command "echo $max" is null. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. cat test.txt: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2005-01-12 20:51... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable length numeric string

I have a customer who logged some cc and bank account numbers in their apache logs. I got the cc numbers x'd out with sed -e 's/args=\{16\}/args=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/g' -e 's/cardnum=\{16\}/cardnum=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/g'but that wasn't too difficult due to the value being 16 digits. The bank account... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk4mzid
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing one Char in a string of variable length

Hi all, I am trying to find the best way of making a change to 1 char in a string, the string can be between 1 and 14 characters. I am reading a line in from a file which contains 012341231231:2:102939283:NNN: Require :NBN: 012838238232:3:372932:NNN: Require :NNB: I need to change 1 N or a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkwilliams
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Executing script that is held in a variable

Hi, I'm building an installation system that uses separate data files that contain the individual characteristics of each package. Within the data file, I would like to incorporate a section that contains a bash script that is loaded into an array which is then redirected to bash to be... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the length of a string in a field

I have a field MPN-BANK-NUMBERO:006,00:N in a file FILE1 How can i display the length of the Bank Number.Any idea ? The output shud take the following format FILE 1 6 Where 1 is the starting position and 6 is the Ending position. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match and variable length string

Hello all, source file looks like this: cat toto.txt NAME) VAR1=tata OPT4=toto USER=blabla TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/Hongkong OTHEROPT=something ;; NAME2) VAR1=tata OPT4=toto USER=blabla TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/Hongkong SOMETHING=else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substrings from a string of variable length

I have a string like Months=jan feb mar april x y .. Here the number of fields in Months is not definite I need to extract each field in the Months string and pass it to awk . Don't want to use for in since it is a loop . How can i do it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nevergivup
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Views How to replace a CRLF char from a variable length file in the middle of a string in UNIX?

My sample file is variable length, with out any field delimiters. It has min of 18 chars length and the 'CRLF' is potentially between 12-14 chars. How do I replace this with a space? I still want to keep end of record, but just want to remove these new lines chars in the middle of the data. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrath
7 Replies
DB2_ROLLBACK(3) 							 1							   DB2_ROLLBACK(3)

db2_rollback - Rolls back a transaction

SYNOPSIS
bool db2_rollback (resource $connection) DESCRIPTION
Rolls back an in-progress transaction on the specified connection resource and begins a new transaction. PHP applications normally default to AUTOCOMMIT mode, so db2_rollback(3) normally has no effect unless AUTOCOMMIT has been turned off for the connection resource. PARAMETERS
o $connection - A valid database connection resource variable as returned from db2_connect(3) or db2_pconnect(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Rolling back a DELETE statement In the following example, we count the number of rows in a table, turn off AUTOCOMMIT mode on a database connection, delete all of the rows in the table and return the count of 0 to prove that the rows have been removed. We then issue db2_rollback(3) and return the updated count of rows in the table to show that the number is the same as before we issued the DELETE statement. The return to the original state of the table demonstrates that the roll back of the transaction succeeded. <?php $conn = db2_connect($database, $user, $password); if ($conn) { $stmt = db2_exec($conn, "SELECT count(*) FROM animals"); $res = db2_fetch_array( $stmt ); echo $res[0] . " "; // Turn AUTOCOMMIT off db2_autocommit($conn, DB2_AUTOCOMMIT_OFF); // Delete all rows from ANIMALS db2_exec($conn, "DELETE FROM animals"); $stmt = db2_exec($conn, "SELECT count(*) FROM animals"); $res = db2_fetch_array( $stmt ); echo $res[0] . " "; // Roll back the DELETE statement db2_rollback( $conn ); $stmt = db2_exec( $conn, "SELECT count(*) FROM animals" ); $res = db2_fetch_array( $stmt ); echo $res[0] . " "; db2_close($conn); } ?> The above example will output: 7 0 7 SEE ALSO
db2_autocommit(3), db2_commit(3). PHP Documentation Group DB2_ROLLBACK(3)