Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to create a simple todo file? Post 15606 by sierra_aar on Sunday 17th of February 2002 02:07:34 AM
Old 02-17-2002
re: Cute

Smilie
Long tim esince I laughed so hard Smilie

But I can understand, it definitly looks like homework.

I am 31 yrs, working as a programmer, only thing, I am a Windows person myslef (don't hate me for that). And csh, tcsh, sed awk, nawk and all these crazy words are still new to me.
I still can't tell the diffeence between ll and ls -tr.

Anyway, this is NOT homework for me, I am sure someone out there did get this as homework, but last time I got to do homeworks was 5 years ago on my B.Sc.

And now to my Q.
I did manage to change the '-' to '+' using SED, but it doesn't want to overwrite the file, so I thaught to use a second file to get the change, delete the first one, and rename. I know long, and not very system perfect, but it's work, and this is what I need. (as I said, I don't get points for short programs ^^)

I couldn't understand how to add a new line. I read the awk man files, but I am not sure if this is the tool I need.

If you can complete this hole for me, that's gr8.

Sierra_aar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying simple commands to create a script

Can anyone direct me to a resource that explains scripting in simple terms? I have visited many sites and browsed this forum and have yet to find simple explanations. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocinante
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create an run a simple batch file?

Hi, So, I created a file named TEST.BAT in my home directory. In it, I wrote: #! /bin/bash echo Hello and then, saved the file. Then, at the command-line interface, I typed TEST.BAT, but the command-line never executes the file and thus, never returns "Hello". It says "command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hyunkel
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create new simple System Call.

Hello to all! I am new with unix and i need your help to make something.. First of all i want to inform you that i am working under the Minix 3 OS. What i want to make is, a new system call in terms of the process manager. This system call should take an integer as a parameter (input) and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kostis1904
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script to create folders

Hi I want to write a small script that will create folders named from `AAAA' all the way to `ZZZZ'. That is: `AAAA' `AAAB' `AAAC' ... `AABA' `AABB' `AABC' ... `ABAA' `ABAB' `ABAC' ... `ABBA' ... `ZZZZ' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
4 Replies

5. Solaris

How to create a simple background script on Solaris

I have a local account for a unix server. The idle timeout for the account is around 10 mins. I have to login to the server multiple times during the day. Is there a way to increase the idle timeout or may be a script that I can run on background so it is not idle. Something like echo date every 9... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinaysa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a simple shell script to backup

Hello - I am in process of deleting many files which are older than 4 weeks. For example I am inside: /subsystem/prod/ Files are with various extentions, but anything older than 4 weeks should be deleted. What would be the most simplest script to acheive this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a simple copy script?

Guys I want to do this: copy: /var/router/system1/config/backup/install.put /var/router/system2/config/backup/install.put /var/router/system3/config/backup/install.put /var/router/system4/config/backup/install.put into: /var/router/system1/config/install.dat... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
22 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create simple script

Dear all, I have a directory named A and some subdirectories named B, C, D with .xml files. I want to use the following command to strip the file. sed -re ':start s/<*>//g; /</ {N; b start}' file.xml > file.xml At the same time, I want to remove the blank lines using sed '/^$/d' How can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: corfuitl
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create a simple bash backup script of a file

This is the problem: Write a script that will make a backup of a file giving it a ‘.bak’ extension & verify that it works. I have tried a number of different scripts that haven't worked and I haven't seen anything really concise and to the point via google. For brevity's sake this is one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demet8
4 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)