Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lost+found
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Lost+found Post 15594 by DPAI on Saturday 16th of February 2002 01:54:41 PM
Old 02-16-2002
Lost+found

Hi all,

after a crash of our SUN Server 220R on file system was corrupt
and I had run fsck getting a lost of files/dir's in the lost+found
of the file system loking like

drwxrwxr-x 2 lmxadmin DOS---- 512 Oct 31 21:04 #0007680
drwxrwxr-x 2 lammer DOS---- 512 Jan 29 09:29 #0035347
drwxrwxr-x 2 wohlfart DOS---- 512 Nov 2 15:59 #0045338
drwxrwxr-x 2 kaptur DOS---- 512 Jan 24 12:48 #0046080
drwxrwxr-x 2 hariskos DOS---- 512 Nov 15 09:23 #0046853
drwxrwxr-x 2 mantel DOS---- 1024 Jan 23 17:21 #0072324
drwxrwxr-x 2 kaptur DOS---- 29184 Jan 29 10:21 #0103786
drwxrwxr-x 2 mantel DOS---- 1024 Jan 23 16:55 #0103791
drwxrwxr-x 2 kaptur DOS---- 1024 Jan 24 14:09 #0167459

Is it possible to get the contents of the files. I tried to
read it in some way but as as they are directories, I wasn't
successful.

Any hints on getting the files back will be of great help.

DP

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lost+found

Hi all I am using SOLARIS 8 on Sun enterpris3000 server. Last night i got a file system corrupted adn some inconsistancy in the file system were shown when i run fsck -o p option. Then i tried to fix it with fsck -F ufs -y /dev/md/rdsk/d1 option as i have given all yes response i cd not able to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost+found directory

what is the directory "lost+found" and how is it used? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ben070371
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what is lost+found dir?

hi all, just wanted to know what is lost+found dir for? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bok
1 Replies

4. AIX

Lost+Found is not available

Hi, I have a AIX 4.3.3 running on IBM pseries server. I have some jfs filesystems running on it. I dont see Lost+Found directory in them. Can anybody guide me why it is not available. Cheers, Vinod.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod2all
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Deleted Lost+Found directory

If you delete your lost & found directory, how do you get it back, just do a mkdir? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files in Lost+Found

Hi, upon reboot of our test solaris 9 box, I was prompted to run fsck on one of the filesystems (/var). This resulted in placing all the files in the lost+found directory. I have no backup. What are my options to place the files back to /var (from lost+found, is it possible?). Appreciate any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spricks
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lost+found

Does anyone have or know of a script to help sort and display a large lost+found directory? i've googled this but not much help solaris 9 thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrish
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost+found

I need to try and sort 125gb of lost+found files and directories that look like from testing the files are good in some areas. Does anyone know of a script using strings, file, find, etc. to help sort something like this........can't find it on google. thks:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morrish
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to recover data from lost+found

Hi All, I am facing a problem of filesystem corruption,where i am trying to recover data with fsck -f <device name> ,now it restore the corrupted data in lost+found directory.Please let me know how to recover the data from lost+found directory. Thanks, Shailesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbapotikar
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

lost+found

Hi, What is lost+found in linux ? Cheers, snj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snjksh
2 Replies
FSCK_HFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       FSCK_HFS(8)

NAME
fsck.hfs -- HFS file system consistency check SYNOPSIS
fsck.hfs -q [-df] special ... fsck.hfs -p [-df] special ... fsck.hfs [-n | -y | -r] [-dfgl] [-m mode] [-c size] special ... DESCRIPTION
The fsck.hfs utility verifies and repairs standard HFS and HFS+ file systems. The first form of fsck.hfs quickly checks the specified file systems to determine whether they were cleanly unmounted. The second form of fsck.hfs preens the specified file systems. It is normally started by fsck(8) during systen boot, when a HFS file system is detected. When preening file systems, fsck.hfs will fix common inconsistencies for file systems that were not unmounted cleanly. If more serious problems are found, fsck.hfs does not try to fix them, indicates that it was not successful, and exits. The third form of fsck.hfs checks the specified file systems and tries to repair all detected inconsistencies. If no options are specified fsck.hfs will always check and attempt to fix the specified file systems. The options are as follows: -c size Specify the size of the cache used by fsck.hfs internally. Bigger size can result in better performance but can result in deadlock when used with -l option. Size can be specified as a decimal, octal, or hexadecimal number. If the number ends with a ``k'', ``m'', or ``g'', the number is multiplied by 1024 (1K), 1048576 (1M), or 1073741824 (1G), respectively. -d Display debugging information. This option may provide useful information when fsck.hfs cannot repair a damaged file system. -f When used with the -p option, force fsck.hfs to check `clean' file systems, otherwise it means force fsck.hfs to check and repair journaled HFS+ file systems. -g Causes fsck.hfs to generate its output strings in GUI format. This option is used when another application with a graphical user interface (like Mac OS X Disk Utility) is invoking the fsck.hfs tool. -l Lock down the file system and perform a test-only check. This makes it possible to check a file system that is currently mounted, although no repairs can be made. -m mode Mode is an octal number that will be used to set the permissions for the lost+found directory when it is created. The lost+found directory is only created when a volume is repaired and orphaned files or directories are detected. fsck.hfs places orphaned files and directories into the lost+found directory (located at the root of the volume). The default mode is 01777. -p Preen the specified file systems. -q Causes fsck.hfs to quickly check whether the volume was unmounted cleanly. If the volume was unmounted cleanly, then the exit status is 0. If the volume was not unmounted cleanly, then the exit status will be non-zero. In either case, a message is printed to standard output describing whether the volume was clean or dirty. -y Always attempt to repair any damage that is found. -n Never attempt to repair any damage that is found. -r Rebuild the catalog file on the specified file system. This option currently will only work if there is enough contiguous space on the specified file system for a new catalog file and if there is no damage to the leaf nodes in the existing catalog file. SEE ALSO
fsck(8) BUGS
fsck.hfs is not able to fix some inconsistencies that it detects. HISTORY
The fsck.hfs command appeared in Mac OS X Server 1.0 . Mac OS X November 21, 2002 Mac OS X