Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting Multiple Lines with sed Post 15590 by rambo15 on Saturday 16th of February 2002 11:22:16 AM
Old 02-16-2002
Deleting Multiple Lines with sed

I am trying to use sed to delete multiple lines in a file. The problem is that I need to search for a certain line and then once found delete it plus the next 4 lines. For instance if I had a file that consisted of the following lines:

#Data1.start
(
(Database= data1)
(Name = IPC)
(Description = )
)
#Data2.start
(
(Database= data2)
(Name = IPC)
(Description = )
)
#Data3.start
(
(Database= data3)
(Name = IPC)
(Description = )
)

I need to be able to sed the file and delete the line starting with #Data2.start plus the next four lines.

Can anyone please give me the correct syntax to do this?Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines from multiple text files

I have a directory full of text data files. Unfortunately I need to get rid of the 7th and 8th line from them all so that I can input them into a GIS application. I've used an awk script to do one at a time but due to the sheer number of files I need some kind of loop mechanism to automate... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrms
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines after pattern using sed

I have seen there are many sed posts but still it is quite difficult to apply other post to my own problem How can I delete all lines in a file from 2 lines after this pattern *End_fine_coreg:_NORMAL to the end of file? Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larne
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help deleting lines with SED.

I take the /etc/passwd file and print it out, but I only want the lines that end with sh. I have cat /etc/passwd | sed '/sh/!d' Which prints out all lines that have sh somewhere in it. So I added $, which I thought matches the ends on lines, but its not working, like for example I have have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting multiple lines from file

Hi, I have 10 different strings. I have to delete the whole line matching with any one string. I can use sed like below sed '/$keyword1/d' fileList.txt > temp_fileList.txt sed '/$keyword2/d' temp_fileList.txt > temp_fileList1.txt . . . Here is the problem i do not have fixed number... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_v4
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines using Sed

Hi All, Please can anyone help me as am deleting a line in a file with the below script: sed '/"$value"/d' redirects.virgin-atlantic.com.conf > olist where $value is a variable where the pattern to be matched is stored. I am not getting any error also but the line containing the pattern... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: deleting 5 lines after a specified pattern

As an example (just an example, this could apply to any block of text) say I have this: architecture x86_64 cputype CPU_TYPE_X86_64 cpusubtype CPU_SUBTYPE_X86_64_ALL offset 4096 size 2972420 align 2^12 (4096) architecture ppc64 cputype CPU_TYPE_POWERPC64 cpusubtype... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching over multiple lines and deleting the first

I've got a longish log file with content such as Uplink traffic: Downlink traffic: I want to parse the log file and remove any line that contains the string "Uplink traffic:" at the beginning of the line, but only if the line following it beginnings with the string "Downlink traffic:" (in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorkie99
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Multiple Lines in Hosts File

Hello all, I'm using the Bash shell on Solaris 8. Please can someone tell me how I can delete multiple lines in the hosts file? I have a list of hosts that I want to quickly delete in the hosts file, but I'm looking for a quicker way than using VI to delete the lines one by one. Regards,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines between patterns using sed or awk

hi, Here is excerpt from my xml file <!-- The custom module to do the authentication for LDAP --> </login-module> <login-module code="com.nlayers.seneca.security.LdapLogin" flag="sufficient"> <module-option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting last 3 lines from a file via sed

Hi Anybody can help me to delete the last 3 lines from a text file via sed under SunOS 5.8? Thanks Aldar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldar
4 Replies
insdelln(3XCURSES)					  X/Open Curses Library Functions					insdelln(3XCURSES)

NAME
insdelln, winsdelln - insert/delete lines to/from the window SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int insdelln(int n); int winsdelln(WINDOW *win, int n); PARAMETERS
n Is the number of lines to insert or delete (positive n inserts; negative n deletes). win Is a pointer to the window in which to insert or delete a line. DESCRIPTION
The insdelln() and winsdelln() functions insert or delete blank lines in stdscr or win, respectively. When n is positive, n lines are added before the current line and the bottom n lines are lost; when n is negative, n lines are deleted starting with the current line, the remaining lines are moved up, and the bottom n lines are cleared. The position of the cursor does not change. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
None. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
deleteln(3XCURSES), insertln(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 insdelln(3XCURSES)