Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: another scripting question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting another scripting question Post 15544 by thehoghunter on Friday 15th of February 2002 12:50:06 PM
Old 02-15-2002
Check out the man page on find - you can set an option for looking for a specific group or user. Also check out the -exec option to run the command against that file (or a script to run against the file which could be passed as parameter 1).
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

another scripting question

I am writing a script that will identify the oldest file in a directory. Here's the syntax: #!/bin/ksh cd directory chmod 777 * ls -r -1t > file1 sed -n -e "1P" < file1 > file2 So my problem is, now I have file2, which contains the name of the oldest file in the directory. How do I use,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting Question

This script searches for core files and if it finds one, it emails me to let me know.I DONT want it to email me if it doesn't find one but I can't figure out what I need to change or add. Any thoughts? Script below: /bin/find / -name core -type f -ls -exec file {} \;|/usr/bin/mailx -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: damielle
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting question

I'm new to shell scripting and am having a problem trying to do something in C shell. I want to write a script that will input something instead of a user doing it. For example, using the command 'write' the user is supposed to type something to be sent to another user. I want a script to be able... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: batmike
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting question?

I am writing a backup script for AIX 5 and running into a problem where the output isn't being shown in the output log that is being created. Any ideas on how this would be corrected? I have included the script below. The only thing showing up in the file is listed below. I was hoping to capture... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinburbridge
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Scripting question

I'm writing a small script that will run an executable program (sort of like TOP). To exit the executable, you have to enter control C (^c). I'm trying to use a redirect input file to send the ^c but I'm not having any luck. My short script looks like this - /mydirectory/abc.script < abc.in >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting question

Folks; I'm writing a shell script to extract some fields out of a log file & it will run periodically, how can i make it runs starting from where it left of. for example; if the script will do the extract every 2 days, let's say the first run will extract fields until July 25, 2007 @ 11:15:22... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moe2266
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripting question

folks; I have a script to remove any files that older than 14 days then move any files that younger than 7 days to another directory. but for some reason it doesn't move the files, when i do it manually it works but not through the script. i tried 2 different ways in writing the move part but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting question

Preview of command prompt f ---> to start ferret q----> to stop ferret asp@nex:~$ f NOAA/PMEL TMAP FERRET v6.82 Linux 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5PAE 32-bit - 08/03/12 3-Dec-12 16:44 yes? go my.jnl yes?column=4/skip=1/type=num,text ............filename.txt ---... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting question

Hi I am trying to write a small script which takes one by one file name from a txt file and do a 'll' and need to check if equal to the given month, otherwise it should return back the file name. Note: the file name contains parameter. My code is given below: It is not working .. giving error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting question

hi all, I am writing a script and beginner in shell scripting. I have tried the below script. could you please check and let me know whether the below scirpt is correct. Unix details : HP Unix Input file. cat input.txt | tail -4 HTS40002.W1978.PROM HTS40003.W1978.PROM... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
17 Replies
GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)				       Generic Mapping Tools				      GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)

NAME
gmt_shell_functions.sh - Practical functions to be used in GMT bourne shell scripts SYNOPSIS
gmt_init_tmpdir gmt_remove_tmpdir gmt_clean_up [prefix] gmt_message message gmt_abort message gmt_nrecords file(s) gmt_nfields string gmt_get_field string gmt_get_region file(s) [options] gmt_get_gridregion file [options] gmt_get_map_width -R -J gmt_get_map_height -R -J gmt_set_psfile file gmt_set_framename prefix framenumber gmt_set_framenext framenumber DESCRIPTION
gmt_shell_functions.sh provides a set of functions to Bourne (again) shell scripts in support of GMT. The calling shell script should include the following line, before the functions can be used: . gmt_shell_functions.sh Once included in a shell script, gmt_shell_functions.sh allows GMT users to do some scripting more easily than otherwise. The functions made available are: gmt_init_tmpdir Creates a temporary directory in /tmp or (when defined) in the directory specified by the environment variable TMPDIR. The name of the temporary directory is returned as environment variable GMT_TMPDIR. This function also causes GMT to run in `isolation mode', i.e. all temporary files will be created in GMT_TMPDIR and the .gmtdefaults file will not be adjusted. gmt_remove_tmpdir Removes the temporary directory and unsets the GMT_TMPDIR environment variable. gmt_cleanup Remove all files and directories in which the current process number is part of the file name. If the optional prefix is given then we also delete all files and directories that begins with the given prefix. gmt_message Send a message to standard error. gmt_abort Send a message to standard error and exit the shell. gmt_nrecords Returns the total number of lines in file(s) gmt_nfields Returns the number of fields or words in string gmt_get_field Returns the given field in a string. Must pass string between double quotes to preserve it as one item. gmt_get_region Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the data in table file(s). Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_get_gridregion Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the header of a grid file. Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_map_width Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map width in the current measurement unit. gmt_map_height Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map height in the current measurement unit. gmt_set_psfile Create the output PostScript file name based on the base name of a given file (usually the script name $0). gmt_set_framename Returns a lexically ordered filename stem (i.e., no extension) given the file prefix and the current frame number, using a width of 6 for the integer including leading zeros. Useful when creating animations and lexically sorted filenames are required. gmt_set_framenext Accepts the current frame integer counter and returns the next integer counter. NOTES
1. These functions only work in the bourne shell (sh) and their derivatives (like ash, bash, ksh and zsh). These functions do not work in the C shell (csh) or their derivatives (like tcsh), and cannot be used in DOS batch scripts either. 2. gmt_shell_functions.sh were first introduced in GMT version 4.2.2 and have since been regularly expanded with other practical scripting short-cuts. If you want to suggest other functions, please do so by mailing to the GMT mailing list: gmt-help@lists.hawaii.edu. SEE ALSO
GMT(1), sh(1), bash(1), minmax(1), grdinfo(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)