Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Question About Drive Partition Post 15462 by Tradewynd on Thursday 14th of February 2002 09:23:58 AM
Old 02-14-2002
I have 512MB of DDR RAM. Will I still need an extra gig for the partition?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partition Hard drive

Hello everyone. I am new to Linux so hope some one could help me here. I have a 30 Gb HD and windows Xp is my O/S, HD is not partitioned,but I want to Partitioned it, so I could Install Knoppix(Linux)on one of the partitioned one, how could I do this? OR should I erase every thing and then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amir
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Dead partition on drive

We are still using solaris 1 with sunos 4.1.4 because nobody here knows Unix. My colleague did a backup (dump) to the wrong place (/dev/sd0h) and we lost this part of the drive. The information is still on tape but we cannot repartition the /dev/sd0h. fsck keeps on about the "wrong SUPER BLOCK"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tom Bekaert
2 Replies

3. AIX

Hard Drive Question

Good day, I have an rs/6000 server, model 7044-270. I bought a 2nd hard drive for it but im not sure its the right one. (fru:H13060) As you surely know, the 7044-270 hard drives are put in some sort of tray/carrier. There is a cable that will interface the HDD with the tray/carrier so the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Netghost
0 Replies

4. AIX

Mounting Tape Drive from different partition

Dear all, I have a AIX server with logical 3 partitions and the server is connecting a tape drive. the first partition can successfully making a system backup to the tape but how can i fail to mount the tape to second and thrid partition. would anyone can help me to deal with it? what command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickhlwong
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

partition question

Hi I have an exam question which is below and I am looking for answer of this question: I would appreciate your help. * You are the systems administrator of a mail server that services approximately 3,000 users. 2,000 users access their email via a POP-3 service, while the remaining 1,000... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10: Problems booting off mirror drive -- Error 22: No such partition

Solaris 10 5/08 on Ultra 40 M2 It boots fine off primary disk but having issues booting off the mirror disk. I get this error when booting off mirror disk: Booting 'Solaris 10 ... Mirror disk' root (hd1,0,a) Error 22: No such partition Press any key to continue... Any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etc
7 Replies

7. Solaris

NFS- share drive question

Ok. Here is the situation, I have server A which need to access /tmp folder of server B. Can I mount NFS share (/tmp) from client (serverA)?please let me know (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam101
3 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

How to access a NTFS partition on hard drive through Terminal in OSX ?

Hi , I have a Mac OS X Lion mac book pro. I have a hard drive which I have partitioned in two (a) OSX Partition - Mac OS Extended Journaled format. Mount point: / (b) Data Partition - Windows NT Filesystem format. Mount point: /Volumes/Data I need to access the NTFS partition (I have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Partition script output question

Hello Everyone! I have a file called “cells” with 3 set of #'s, roughly 400+ lines. My current tool "movrcs" grabs the “cells” file, and creates one huge “mov_rcs” script which is a problem. I want the tool to grab 20 lines of the "cells" file at a time, and create separate script files for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: birdboyee
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to scrub directory only if on own partition/drive?

Hi all, I've been working on a script to run a disk wipe (using Jim Garlick's scrub tool) on the filesystem in Xerox production printer RIPs. Easy enough if there's just one partition, but I need to cater for the possibility of multiple drives/partitions, and either ZFS or UFS (don't know if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidDawesFXA
2 Replies
KPARTX(8)                                                  Linux Administrator's Manual                                                  KPARTX(8)

NAME
kpartx - Create device maps from partition tables SYNOPSIS
kpartx [-a | -d | -l] [-v] wholedisk DESCRIPTION
This tool, derived from util-linux' partx, reads partition tables on specified device and create device maps over partitions segments detected. It is called from hotplug upon device maps creation and deletion. OPTIONS
-a Add partition mappings -r Readonly partition mappings -r Read-only partition mappings -d Delete partition mappings -u Update partition mappings -l List partition mappings that would be added -a -p set device name-partition number delimiter -f force creation of mappings; overrides 'no_partitions' feature -g force GUID partition table (GPT) -v Operate verbosely -s Sync mode. Don't return until the partitions are created EXAMPLE
To mount all the partitions in a raw disk image: kpartx -av disk.img This will output lines such as: loop3p1 : 0 20964762 /dev/loop3 63 The loop3p1 is the name of a device file under /dev/mapper which you can use to access the partition, for example to fsck it: fsck /dev/mapper/loop3p1 When you're done, you need to remove the devices: kpartx -d disk.img SEE ALSO
multipath(8) multipathd(8) hotplug(8) AUTHORS
This man page was assembled By Patrick Caulfield for the Debian project. From documentation provided by the multipath author Christophe Varoqui, <christophe.varoqui@opensvc.com> and others. July 2006 KPARTX(8)