Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I search my dot files for suspicious text? Post 15453 by noobie_doo on Thursday 14th of February 2002 08:27:44 AM
Old 02-14-2002
How do I open my dot login file?

My company Unix guru enabled fortune in my .login (dot login?) file. When i asked him how he did it he told me to search my dot files for "suspicious" text.

He wants me to learn more about all of the dot files.

Last edited by noobie_doo; 02-14-2002 at 05:59 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Recursive search for group or other writeable 'dot' files

I'm looking for a easy way to do a recursive search through a directory structure for all files that begin with '.' that are group or other writable. Any suggestions? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maficdan
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String Search within Text Files

I have many scripts in directories and sub-directories that I would like to search for a specific string. How would I do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bggibson
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to do search and replace on text files in directory

I was google searching and found Perl as a command line utility tool This almost solves my problem: find . | xargs perl -p -i.old -e 's/oldstring/newstring/g' I think this would create a new file for every file in my directory tree. Most of my files will not contain oldstring and I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files without a specific text

Hi all, I need UNIX command that would give me all files without the string "4R" anywhere in the file. I have about a hundred files in my directory, and I need to list all files wihtout the string "4R" anywhere. Can anyone help me please? Thank you.l (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search text in files within the subdirectory

Hello, I am trying to write a shell script to search for a pattern in the directory and show only one entry for each field, essentially I am looking to search for a pattern in a file and list that file name. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grajp002
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a text within files in a directory

I need to search for a particular string. This string might be present in many files. The directory in which I am present has more than one subdirectories. Hence, the search should check in all the subdirectories and all the corresponding files and give a list of files which have the particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pakspan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace text in many files

Hello, I am very new to Linux and am trying to find a way for following problem. I have a number of files in a folder as Export000.dat, Export001.dat ..and so on. Each file has a string field 'Absolute velocity'. I want it to be replaced by 'Pixel shift' in all the files. I tried something like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chirag.joshi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keyword search/replace for two text files?

What is the best way (bash/awk/sed?) to read in two text files and do a keyword search/replace? file1.txt: San Francisco Los Angeles Seattle Dallas file2.txt: I love Los Angeles. Coming to Dallas was the right choice. San Francisco is fun. Go to Seattle in the summer. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - search and replace whole string which contains dot

Hello. I would like to search exactly "string1.string2.string3" and replace it by "new_string1.new_string2.new_string3" And I would like to search exactly "string2.string3" and replace it by "new_string2.new_string3" And I would not found in the result : "string1.new_string2.new_string3"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for text in files

I am working on a script to search for text. read -p "Enter text to search for : " n1 grep $n1 /home/andy/bin/*.sh It works, but if I backspace, it does this. Enter text to search for : sset Master^ ------ Post updated at 12:39 PM ------ My mistake is I used the left arrow key... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
4 Replies
TRED(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TRED(1)

NAME
       tred - transitive reduction filter for directed graphs

SYNOPSIS
       tred [ files ]

DESCRIPTION
       tred  computes the transitive reduction of directed graphs, and prints the resulting graphs to standard output.	This removes edges implied
       by transitivity.  Nodes and subgraphs are not otherwise affected.  The ``meaning'' and validity of the reduced graphs is application depen-
       dent.  tred is particularly useful as a preprocessor to dot to reduce clutter in dense layouts.

Undirected graphs are silently ignored.

OPERANDS
       The following operand is supported:

files   Names of files containing 1 or more graphs in dot format.  If no files operand is specified, the standard input will be used.

BUGS
       Using bitmaps internally would substantially decrease running time.

DIAGNOSTICS
       If a graph has cycles, its transitive reduction is not uniquely defined.  In this case tred emits a warning.

AUTHORS
       Stephen C. North <north@research.att.com>
       Emden R. Gansner <erg@research.att.com>

SEE ALSO
       gc(1), dot(1), acyclic(1), gvpr(1), gvcolor(1), ccomps(1), sccmap(1), libgraph(3)

21 March 2001							   TRED(1)