Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: terminal display
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers terminal display Post 15257 by thehoghunter on Tuesday 12th of February 2002 12:25:44 PM
Old 02-12-2002
Check out the man page on wall. This will send a message to all users logged into the system.

To write to just one particular terminal you can use the write command.
thehoghunter

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Understanding terminal display of (awkward) characters

Gurus, I've been on computers for a while, but I've yet to have the behind-the-scenes knowledge. I'm not sure if this is so much a Unix question as it is a nitty gritty computer one. We received a customer file which had a "funny apostrophe." When displaying the file via more, the character... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: effigy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

date and time to display on the terminal

hi all, am trying to 'grep' some text from a log file and use the 'cut' command to read from that line i just grep'ed to extract date/time and response times. code sniplet i am using is : grep -i 'text to grep' Out.log | while read LINE; do ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to have color coded Terminal display,(like linux)

Hi all, I would like to know how to have a color display in the terminal... In the sense that, In many linux terminals,we have color coded for each file type, green for executable ,blue for dirs and so on... I wanted to know how i can have the same arrangement in solaris(b-79a) I am not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
5 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Display running 'app' in terminal titlebar?

Hi. I was, not too long ago, an OS X home user. One of the things I remember from using the Apple-installed Terminal is: whenever an executable that took more than a split second to do its thing was running, its name would appear in the title bar in a way similar to "Terminal: ssh" or "Terminal:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display message when starting a terminal

Hello all, I would like a message to be displayed on the shell when someone opens up the terminal - something like a welcome msg with date and time. I know how to do this by running the shell commands but dont know how to display it when a user opens up the terminal? Thanks in advance (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrudula009
27 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix terminal display related issue

Want few input related to unix environment and terminal settings: 1. Am trying to find a way to keep the unix terminal display intact even after opening and closing a vi/less file. Currently if I open a vim file in the unix terminal and then close the file,it displays the contents of vim file on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: talktovkjain
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display-performance in terminal, bash or python?

Heyas I've been working on my project TUI (Text User Interface) for quite some time now, its a hobby project, so nothing i sit in front of 8hrs/day. Since the only 'real' programming language i knw is Visual Basic, based upon early steps with MS-Batch files. When i 'joined' linux 3 years ago,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Display info about users (UID GID processes terminal)

I would like to get an opinion for my solution for this task and get feedback about better approach or mistakes I have made. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The task is to create a script which prints information about users whose names are specified in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kornfan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies
WRITE(1)                                                    BSD General Commands Manual                                                   WRITE(1)

NAME
write -- send a message to another user SYNOPSIS
write user [tty] DESCRIPTION
The write utility allows you to communicate with other users, by copying lines from your terminal to theirs. When you run the write command, the user you are writing to gets a message of the form: Message from yourname@yourhost on yourtty at hh:mm ... Any further lines you enter will be copied to the specified user's terminal. If the other user wants to reply, they must run write as well. When you are done, type an end-of-file or interrupt character. The other user will see the message 'EOF' indicating that the conversation is over. You can prevent people (other than the super-user) from writing to you with the mesg(1) command. If the user you want to write to is logged in on more than one terminal, you can specify which terminal to write to by specifying the termi- nal name as the second operand to the write command. Alternatively, you can let write select one of the terminals - it will pick the one with the shortest idle time. This is so that if the user is logged in at work and also dialed up from home, the message will go to the right place. The traditional protocol for writing to someone is that the string '-o', either at the end of a line or on a line by itself, means that it is the other person's turn to talk. The string 'oo' means that the person believes the conversation to be over. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), wall(1), who(1) HISTORY
A write command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The sender's LC_CTYPE setting is used to determine which characters are safe to write to a terminal, not the receiver's (which write has no way of knowing). BSD February 13, 2012 BSD