Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: terminal display
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers terminal display Post 15255 by seismic_willy on Tuesday 12th of February 2002 12:09:11 PM
Old 02-12-2002
terminal display

I want to display a system warning message at the prompt of every live terminal on a sun solaris 8 machine using CDE.

I know this can be done on a console, but what about dtterm and xterm regular windows?

Does anyone know how this is done?

What about a single terminal?

Clear skies,
seismic_willy

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Understanding terminal display of (awkward) characters

Gurus, I've been on computers for a while, but I've yet to have the behind-the-scenes knowledge. I'm not sure if this is so much a Unix question as it is a nitty gritty computer one. We received a customer file which had a "funny apostrophe." When displaying the file via more, the character... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: effigy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

date and time to display on the terminal

hi all, am trying to 'grep' some text from a log file and use the 'cut' command to read from that line i just grep'ed to extract date/time and response times. code sniplet i am using is : grep -i 'text to grep' Out.log | while read LINE; do ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to have color coded Terminal display,(like linux)

Hi all, I would like to know how to have a color display in the terminal... In the sense that, In many linux terminals,we have color coded for each file type, green for executable ,blue for dirs and so on... I wanted to know how i can have the same arrangement in solaris(b-79a) I am not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
5 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Display running 'app' in terminal titlebar?

Hi. I was, not too long ago, an OS X home user. One of the things I remember from using the Apple-installed Terminal is: whenever an executable that took more than a split second to do its thing was running, its name would appear in the title bar in a way similar to "Terminal: ssh" or "Terminal:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display message when starting a terminal

Hello all, I would like a message to be displayed on the shell when someone opens up the terminal - something like a welcome msg with date and time. I know how to do this by running the shell commands but dont know how to display it when a user opens up the terminal? Thanks in advance (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrudula009
27 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix terminal display related issue

Want few input related to unix environment and terminal settings: 1. Am trying to find a way to keep the unix terminal display intact even after opening and closing a vi/less file. Currently if I open a vim file in the unix terminal and then close the file,it displays the contents of vim file on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: talktovkjain
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display-performance in terminal, bash or python?

Heyas I've been working on my project TUI (Text User Interface) for quite some time now, its a hobby project, so nothing i sit in front of 8hrs/day. Since the only 'real' programming language i knw is Visual Basic, based upon early steps with MS-Batch files. When i 'joined' linux 3 years ago,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Display info about users (UID GID processes terminal)

I would like to get an opinion for my solution for this task and get feedback about better approach or mistakes I have made. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The task is to create a script which prints information about users whose names are specified in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kornfan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies
dtappsession(1) 						   User Commands						   dtappsession(1)

NAME
dtappsession - start a new Application Manager session SYNOPSIS
/usr/dt/bin/dtappsession [hostname] DESCRIPTION
dtappsession is a specialized version of the Xsession shell script. It is an alternative to using the CDE remote login that allows you to access a remote host without logging out of your current CDE session. dtappsession starts a new instance of the CDE Application Manager in its own ToolTalkTM session. It can be used to remotely display the Application Manager back to your local display after logging in to a remote host with the rlogin(1) command. A new, independent instance of ttsession(1) starts a simple session management window. This window displays the title remote_hostname: Remote Administration where remote_hostname is the system that is being accessed. The window also displays an Exit button. Clicking Exit terminates the ToolTalk session and all windows that are part of the session. The Application Manager that is displayed can be used to start remote CDE actions to run in this session. Exiting the Application Manager does not terminate the session, and it is not recommended. Clicking Exit is the recommended way to end the session. To avoid confusing the remote CDE applications with local ones, it is recommended that a new CDE workspace be created for clients in the remote session. The hostname is not needed when the DISPLAY environment variable is set to the local hostname on the remote host. On a system that is configured with Trusted Extensions, dtappsession can be used for remote administration by administrative roles that have the ability to log in to the remote host. dtappsession does not require any privilege, and it does not need to run on a system that is configured with Trusted Extensions. When installed in /usr/dt/bin on a Solaris system, along with the startApp.ds file, dtappsession can be used to administer the remote Solaris system from a local system that is configured with Trusted Extensions. However, in this case, the CDE workspace that is used for remote display must be a normal workspace, rather than a role workspace. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Remote Login and dtappsession After creating a new CDE workspace, type the following in a terminal window: # rlogin remote_hostname password: /*type the remote password*/ # dtappsession local_hostname /* on the remote host */ FILES
/usr/dt/bin/startApp.ds dt Korn shell script for session manager window ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdttsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ BUGS
X11/CDE applications that do not register with the ToolTalk session manager will not exit automatically when the session is terminated. Such applications must be explicitly terminated. SEE ALSO
dtfile(1), rlogin(1), ttsession(1), attributes(5) Chapter 14, Remote Administration in Trusted Extensions (Tasks), in Solaris Trusted Extensions Administrator's Procedures NOTES
The functionality described on this manual page is available only if the system is configured with Trusted Extensions. SunOS 5.11 15 Aug 2005 dtappsession(1)