Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /dev/fb* missing
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers /dev/fb* missing Post 15185 by thehoghunter on Monday 11th of February 2002 05:00:57 PM
Old 02-11-2002
This looks like another post from you. I replied to it concerning if this is a new installation. There is documented for Solaris 7 and below getting this error if you built the system without the proper OEM support.

if the client was installed from an OS Service that did
not include OEM support, the system may not have the proper packages
to run OpenWindows or CDE. The symptom of this problem is an error message similar the following, when attempting to start a windowing system:

/dev/fb: No such file or directory
Graphics Adapter device /dev/fb is of unknown type

The fix is to reload the OS with the proper OEM support -

In order to avoid the above stated problems, the following
recommendations for client configuration must be applied:

1. The easiest solution is to remove the OS Service. Then readd the
OS Service selecting the "Entire Distribution + OEM" as the
cluster type. The Entire Distribution + OEM cluster
will install all the required packages. This is more convenient
than adding individual packages especially if more clients are
going to be added at a later date.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

missing /dev/ipldevice

Hello I was doing a mksysb and was given an error message that my /dev/ipldevice was missing. when i do an lslv -m hd5 i get the following output: LP PP1 PV1 PP2 PV2 PP3 PV3 0001 0001 hdisk0 0002 0002 hdisk0 I check other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
3 Replies

2. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

3. Ubuntu

/dev/ttyb missing from UBUNTU

HI All I am doing first steps in debugging with GDB. I have been suggested to redirect output to another terminal using the command using tty /dev/ttyb I had a look at my ubuntu doing ls /dev/tty* and I cannot find this ttyb. What is it and how to achieve the same thing? I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manustone
0 Replies

4. AIX

/dev/rmt devices are missing

Hello, I attached a tape drive to one of my partitions but i cannot find the device. I run the command lsdev|grep rmt but i dont get anything in return. When i run lsslot -c slot i can see the slot number and the device that belongs to the tape drive but i cannot find any rmt files in /dev.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Size missing on /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3

Our used size is 83 gb. Total of the folders and documents size is46,2 gb. 83-46=37 gb. Where is my space. Where was lost? Could you please I need your opinions? {root}/space>du -s -h * 308K alaerrm-jprof 1K argerela 20G baerckup_in 1.8G cererm 28M ecerlipselink ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
8 Replies

6. SuSE

/dev/sg7 missing

Hello all. I have a device thats suposed to be /dev/sg7 but when I do "ls -laF /dev/sg*" all sgXX are there from 0 to 15 except 7. what is going wrong:mad:. Please its urgent:wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eXadra
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Lun remove, stuck in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk

So, we removed a LUN from the SAN and the system is refusing to remove the references to it in the /dev folder. I've done the following: devfsadm -Cv powermt -q luxadm -e offline <drive path> luxadm probe All those commands failed to remove the path. The drive stills shows up as <drive... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc

Objective: To recreate the partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc How would I parse the below information and initialize variables (an array?) that can be used to build sgdisk commands in a script, regardless of the number of partitions? Something along the lines of: sgdisk -n... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
12 Replies

9. Red Hat

Changing grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb

Hi, Please suggest steps to change grub from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Dev/urandom and dev/random missing in HP-UX

Hi, In our HP-UX B.11.11. I could not find dev/urandom and dev/random Are all pseudo-devices implemented as device drivers, or in need to run /configure some package to install the package to have dev/urandom. Please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashi
4 Replies
mkdevalloc(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    mkdevalloc(1M)

NAME
mkdevalloc - Make device_allocate entries SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mkdevalloc DESCRIPTION
The mkdevalloc command writes to standard out a set of device_allocate(4) entries describing the system's frame buffer, audio and removable media devices. The mkdevalloc command is used by the init.d(4) scripts to create or update the /etc/security/device_allocate file. Entries are generated based on the device special files found in /dev. For the different categories of devices, the mkdevalloc command checks for the following files under /dev: audio /dev/audio, /dev/audioctl, /dev/sound/... tape /dev/rst*, /dev/nrst*, /dev/rmt/... floppy /dev/diskette, /dev/fd*, /dev/rdiskette, /dev/rfd* removable disk /dev/sr*, /dev/nsr*, /dev/dsk/c0t?d0s?, /dev/rdsk/c0t?d0s? frame buffer /dev/fb All entries set the device-minimum and device-maximum fields to the hex representations of ADMIN_LOW and ADMIN_HIGH, respectively. The device-authorization field is set to solaris.device.allocate, except for the framebuffer entry, where it is set to *. The device-name, device-type and device-clean fields are set to the following values: device-name device-type device-clean audio audio audio audio_clean_wrapper tape mag_tape_0,1,... st st_clean floppy floppy_0,1,... fd disk_clean removable disk cdrom_0,1,... sr disk_clean frame buffer framebuffer fb /bin/true ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Obsolete | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
allocate(1), bsmconv(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
mkdevalloc might not be supported in a future release of the Solaris operating system. SunOS 5.10 8 Oct 2003 mkdevalloc(1M)