Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Modifying $PATH variable in /etc/profile Post 1517 by 98_1LE on Monday 12th of March 2001 09:07:39 AM
Old 03-12-2001
Actually it should be;
Code:
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/etc:/export/home/abd/rose 
export PATH

If you want is to search /export/home/abd/rose first, use;
Code:
PATH=/export/home/abd/rose:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/etc
export PATH

I'm not sure why you would have /etc in your search path though?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edited Path in Profile File

Definitely a unix dummy. I edited the paths in the /etc/profile file - following the instructions on an install package. Now can't use vi, cat pg ls or any other unix commands. Guess I'm in big trouble. Path reads MANPATH=/opt/hpnp/man PATH=/opt/hpnpl/bin LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/hpnp/lib ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thewetch
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

full path of .profile in unix

need a help, am a newbe in unix how do i locate the full path of the .profile where the environmental variable for a user is set. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo $PATH doesn't match $HOME/.profile

This is on a Solaris 9 box, but I feel like a noob, so I am posting here. When I echo $PATH I get a lot of duplicate paths and extra stuff I don't need. What I want is just what I set up in my home dir under .profile My login shell=/bin/bash I checked the following and there are no path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Veestan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying a variable value

Hi all, how do i modify a variable's value. var1='abcd efgh ijkl mnop abcd' how do i get var2 from var1 var2=$(......) $echo var2 abcd efgh ijkl mnop i.e. i have removed a duplicate occurence. or in general how to modify a varible. thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikkumar84@g
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a path in user's PATH variable

Hello Folks, I want to append a path in user's PATH variable which should be available in current session. Background Numerous persons will run a utility. Aim is to add the absolute path of the utility the first time it runs so that next runs have the PATH in env & users can directly run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

profile PATH include subdirectories

I would like to modify my .profile PATH to include all subdirectories of the directory I specify. For example, right now I have PATH=$HOME/tier1 Tier1 has a tier2 directory in it. Right now I can execute files from tier1, but not tier2. I know I can add another path with $HOME/tier1/tier2,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Smed
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path a variable to sed that includes a path

Hi I'm trying to select text between two lines, I'm using sed to to this, but I need to pass variables to it. For example start="BEGIN /home/mavkoup/data" end="END" sed -n -e '/${start}/,/${end}/g' doesn't work. I've tried double quotes as well. I think there's a problem with the / in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavkoup
4 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Modifying PATH (LINUX, Ubuntu)

Hello, I'm a newbi to Unix and the last few weeks I have been trying to learn Unix through a book called Unix in 24 hours. I have tried advanced shell programming (that's what the chapter is called) today and what the excersise was all about was to create mylocate - a version of locate that is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tolmac
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding to the end of the path in .profile

Hi there, I have the following in my path: export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin But I want to change it programmatically(for the purpose of JBoss automatic(ansible) installs) to: export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/jdk/jdk1.8.0_60 and after that I need to insert the JAVA_HOME programmatically,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hvdalsen
7 Replies
INITSCRIPT(5)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     INITSCRIPT(5)

NAME
initscript - script that executes inittab commands. SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh /etc/initscript id runlevels action process DESCRIPTION
When the shell script /etc/initscript is present, init will use it to execute the commands from inittab. This script can be used to set things like ulimit and umask default values for every process. EXAMPLES
This is a sample initscript, which might be installed on your system as /etc/initscript.sample. # # initscript Executed by init(8) for every program it # wants to spawn like this: # # /bin/sh /etc/initscript <id> <level> <action> <process> # # Set umask to safe level, and enable core dumps. umask 022 ulimit -c 2097151 PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin export PATH # Increase the hard file descriptor limit for all processes # to 8192. The soft limit is still 1024, but any unprivileged # process can increase its soft limit up to the hard limit # with "ulimit -Sn xxx" (needs a 2.2.13 or later Linux kernel). ulimit -Hn 8192 # Execute the program. eval exec "$4" NOTES
This script is not meant as startup script for daemons or somesuch. It has nothing to do with a rc.local style script. It's just a handler for things executed from /etc/inittab. Experimenting with this can make your system un(re)bootable. FILES
/etc/inittab, /etc/initscript. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg ,<miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). July 10, 2003 INITSCRIPT(5)