Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: firewall vs. closing ports
Special Forums Cybersecurity firewall vs. closing ports Post 15101 by adam_crosby on Sunday 10th of February 2002 04:24:34 PM
Old 02-10-2002
Thanks...that was exactly what i was looking for Smilie
I figured that if there was no prog attached, or no socket listening, that nothing would be able to happen (excepting Neo's answer). I was just making sure the kernel didn't carry any 'built-in' functionality, as far as answering calls on non-open ports were concerned. And apparently, the answer is, excepting ICMP, no. Thanks Guys!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

closing open ports

/* Linux Slackware */ Nmap shows the following ports open on the gateway. 21/tcp ftp 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet 25/tcp smtp 37/tcp time 80/tcp http 113/tcp auth 515/tcp printer 587/tcp submission 1024/tcp kdm 6000/tcp x11 ------------------------------- i would like to close as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LowOrderBit
10 Replies

2. IP Networking

Closing out ports???

Hi all Is there a command that I can use to close out open ports? I did a netstat - a -p and got a long list of ports open (see sample below). I have disabled the some of the applications from /etc/services/. But there are still applications listening on certain ports. I need to know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
6 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Closing a thread

hi, Just wondering if there could be a way to close threads whose creator has got the desired reply. however if someone still wants to give a remark or suggest further on the thread one can still do so. Besides on the control panel there should be some kind of selection criteria to view... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxpenguin
3 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Firewall Ports

Could someone please settle an inter-office argument? Will your network traffic be slower through a firewall on any other port other than port 80. In other words, is port 80 faster than any other port you open on the firewall. I say no. Thanks in advance for the help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cocolsmith
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

closing windows

Ok i know to open a window from a script (mac); open whatever(name of a directory) but i don't how to close it. please some help. thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tártaro
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

closing unwanted open ports using scripts

i have a text file i.e file1.txt which shows open ports on particular system. i have another text file i.e file2.txt which shows a list of allowed ports on a system. for eg: file2.txt 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet. can i have a script which would compare these text files ,file1 and file2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand121
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

AllTheWeb closing

It was officially announced that AllTheWeb is closing. Yahoo! no longer supports the function as per april 2011: AlltheWeb.com Before the world turned to google by default, there used to be a plethora of search engines. Most of them gave a headache with the prolific use of colors and animated gifs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have firewall rules to open ports, why telnet refuses connection?

Alright... this question comes from the fact that I'm trying to setup postfix to relay messages to Office 365 SMTP but its giving me connection refused... I read that if you have doubts if your port is open or not you should telnet to them so thats what I did. This is a Red Hat 6.3 box. My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
4 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Closing thread

Hi, I guess, users do not have rights to close a thread. Please close thread 'Small automation' as it is resolved. Regards, snjksh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snjksh
1 Replies
CURSES_INCH(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					    CURSES_INCH(3)

NAME
curses_inch, inch, winch, inchnstr, mvinchnstr, winchnstr, mvwinchnstr, inchstr, mvinchstr, winchstr, mvwinchstr, innstr, winnstr, mvinnstr, mvwinnstr, instr, winstr mvinstr, mvwinstr -- curses read screen contents routines LIBRARY
Curses Library (libcurses, -lcurses) SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> chtype inch(void); chtype winch(WINDOW *win); int inchnstr(chtype *chars, int n); int mvinchnstr(int y, int x, chtype *chstr, int n); int winchnstr(WINDOW *win, chtype *chars, int n); int mvwinchnstr(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, chtype *chstr, int n); int inchstr(chtype *chars); int mvinchstr(int y, int x, chtype *chstr); int winchstr(WINDOW *win, chtype *chars); int mvwinchstr WINDOW *win int y int x chtype *chstr int innstr(char *str, int n); int winnstr(WINDOW *win, char *str, int n); int mvinnstr(int y, int x, char *str, int n); int mvwinnstr(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, char *str, int n); int instr(char *str); int winstr(WINDOW *win, char *str); int mvinstr(int y, int x, char *str); int mvwinstr(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, char *str); DESCRIPTION
These functions read the contents of stdscr or of the specified window. The inch() function returns the character that is displayed on stdscr at the current cursor position. The winch() function is the same as the inch() function, excepting that the character is read from window specified by win. The inchnstr() function fills an array of chtype with characters read from stdscr, the characters are read starting from the current cursor position and continuing until either n - 1 characters are read or the right hand side of the screen is reached. The resulting character array will be NULL terminated. The winchnstr() function is the same as inchnstr() excepting that the characters are read from the window specified by win. The inchstr() and winchstr() functions are the same as the inchnstr() and winchnstr() functions, respectively, excepting that they do not limit the number of characters read. The characters returned are those from the current starting position to the right hand side of the screen. The use of inchstr() and winchstr() is not recommended as the character buffer can be overflowed. The innstr() function is similar to the inchstr() function, excepting that the array of characters returned is stripped of all the curses attributes making it a plain character string. The mvinchstr(), mvinchnstr(), mvwinchstr(), and mvwinchnstr() functions are the same as the inchstr(), inchnstr(), winchstr(), and winchstr() functions, respectively, except that wmove() is called to move the cursor to the position specified by y, x before the output is printed on the window. Likewise, the mvinstr(), mvinnstr(), mvwinstr(), and mvwinnstr() functions are the same as the instr(), innstr(), winstr(), and winstr() functions, respectively, except that wmove() is called to move the cursor to the position specified by y, x before the output is printed on the window. The winnstr() function is the same as the innstr() function, excepting that characters are read from the window specified by win. The instr() and winstr() functions are the same as the innstr() and winnstr() functions, respectively, excepting that there are no limits placed on the size of the returned string, which may cause buffer overflows. For this reason, the use of instr() and winstr() is not recom- mended. RETURN VALUES
If the calls innstr(), mvinnstr(), mvwinnstr(), and winnstr() succeed then they will return the number of characters actually read. Func- tions returning pointers will return NULL if an error is detected. The functions that return an int will return one of the following values: OK The function completed successfully. ERR An error occurred in the function. SEE ALSO
curses_addch(3), curses_addstr(3), curses_attributes(3), curses_insertch(3) STANDARDS
The NetBSD Curses library complies with the X/Open Curses specification, part of the Single Unix Specification. NOTES
The inchnstr() and innstr() function read at most n - 1 characters from the screen so as to leave room for NULL termination. The X/Open specification is unclear as to whether or not this is the correct behaviour. HISTORY
The Curses package appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
August 7, 2011 BSD