Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting can you think of a better way? Post 14969 by kristy on Friday 8th of February 2002 11:03:36 AM
Old 02-08-2002
can you think of a better way?

Hi folks,

I've been tasked with cleaning up some directories. A list will be provided to me that will contain the names of the files to be deleted. I'm probably looking at columnar format, so that makes life easier. The files will be contained in two or three subdirectories of a directory.

This is what I have been testing:

for A in `cat $LIST;
do
{
find . -name $A -exec rm {} \;
};
done

it works, but I wonder if there is a better way?
ideas?
-kristy

DH_CLEAN(1)							     Debhelper							       DH_CLEAN(1)

NAME
dh_clean - clean up package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_clean [debhelperoptions] [-k] [-d] [-Xitem] [path...] DESCRIPTION
dh_clean is a debhelper program that is responsible for cleaning up after a package is built. It removes the package build directories, and removes some other files including debian/files, and any detritus left behind by other debhelper commands. It also removes common files that should not appear in a Debian diff: #*# *~ DEADJOE *.orig *.rej *.SUMS TAGS .deps/* *.P *-stamp It does not run "make clean" to clean up after the build process. Use dh_auto_clean(1) to do things like that. dh_clean should be the last debhelper command run in the clean target in debian/rules. FILES
debian/clean Can list other paths to be removed. Note that directories listed in this file must end with a trailing slash. Any content in these directories will be removed as well. OPTIONS
-k, --keep This is deprecated, use dh_prep(1) instead. The option is removed in compat 12. -d, --dirs-only Only clean the package build directories, do not clean up any other files at all. -Xitem --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being deleted, even if they would normally be deleted. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. path ... Delete these paths too. Note that directories passed as arguments must end with a trailing slash. Any content in these directories will be removed as well. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_CLEAN(1)