Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search all files for specific string Post 14690 by sureshy on Tuesday 5th of February 2002 05:50:04 AM
Old 02-05-2002
Search all files for specific string

Hi Friends,

How can I search all files in all slices on a unix system for a particular string within the file.

e.g search string 'oracle'

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search string during a specific time frame

Can someone please help me with searching a string during a specific time frame. Below is the format of the time from my log file. "GET /AAM2009_wherewereheaded.wmv HTTP/1.1" 200 52307085 The search string I need is "AAM2009_wherewereheaded.wmv" I need to search the number of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tadi18
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for string between specific lines of code in vi

Hi, I am on an AIX Unix box and I am trying to search for a string in between specified lines of code when I vi a file. I can use the '/string' to search for the string through out the file, but can we only search in between specific lines. I can use the below sed command to search for the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolavi
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a specific string

Hi, I have following requirement. Pls suggest. To search a string in a file which is combination of character and number(always 9 digit, but numeric). if found then caputure the exit return code as 0 else 1 , if 0 then next job can be triggerd. If exit code is 1, should return a failure... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search all the files in a directory for a specific string

Hi Guys, I want to search the content of all the files (of a particular type like .txt) in a directory for a specific string pattern. Can anyone help me? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search-word-print-specific-string

Hi, Our input xml looks like: <doc> <str name="account_id">1111</str> <str name="prd_id">DHEP155EK</str> </doc> - <doc> <str name="account_id">6666</str> <str name="prd_id">394531662</str> </doc> - <doc> <str name="account_id">6666</str> <str... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jassz
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I search and change an specific string in a file

Dear All, New to Linux/Unix OS, my Linux version is 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux As titled, I wonder if you can help to provide a solution to find and change an specific string in a file The file include a lots of data in following configuration but might be various in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axel
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to search specific string in a log

Hi, I have a log file containing below data 12/3/14 12:43:59 AM WIT |Performance threshold: elapsed time = 3152... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csm231
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search specific string logfile specific date range

Hi, I have logfile like this.. === 2014-02-09 15:46:59,936 INFO RequestContext - URL: '/eyisp/sc/skins/EY/images/pickers/comboBoxPicker_Over.png', User-Agent: 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko': Unsupported with Accept-Encoding header === 2015-02-09... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishk
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
sagasu(1)																 sagasu(1)

NAME
sagasu - GNOME tool to find strings in multiple files SYNOPSIS
sagasu [string [dir]] DESCRIPTION
sagasu is a GNOME tool to find strings in a set of files. The user specifies the search directory and the set of files to be searched. Double-clicking on a search result launches a user command that can for example load the file in an editor at the appropriate line. The search can recurse into subdirectories and can optionally ignore CVS directories. Two optional command-line arguments can be given: the first is the initial search string and the second is the directory whose files will be searched. If only one argument is given, it is taken as the search string. No search is actually started, but the appropriate fields are initialized. Any subsequent arguments are ignored. More documentation is available through the application's Help menu. OPTIONS
--help display a help page and exit --version display version information and exit LICENSE
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License. This program has absolutely no warranty. AUTHOR
Pierre Sarrazin See the Sagasu Home Page: http://sarrazip.com/dev/sagasu.html BUGS
The files to be searches are still assumed to be in Latin-1, not in UTF-8. The same goes for the command-line arguments and the terminal to which Sagasu is connected, if applicable. HISTORY
Sagasu is a Japanese word that means "to search." June 19th, 2010 sagasu(1)