Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shutdown Privilege
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shutdown Privilege Post 14535 by thehoghunter on Friday 1st of February 2002 12:24:45 PM
Old 02-01-2002
What OS? Do you have any security package on the system (such as BoKS?)?

Best bet without knowing the answers to these questions - install and use sudo. This allows you to give certain users or groups some of the access as if they were root.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shutdown Privilege

Dear all, An ordinary user can shutdown the UNIX MACHINE ? SCO UNIXWARE 7.0. what has to be done to privilage for an ordinary user to SHUTDOWN the PC?? i would be thankful if i will get a solution. with regards, konda. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: konda
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write privilege for user

Is it possible to grant write privileges to a user on a directory with out having to add the user to a group or make the user the owner of the directory? My background is in Windows and in Windows you can grant specific privileges to a user without having to put the user in a group or making the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
3 Replies

3. Solaris

root privilege

Hello All, I need your help to know how i can give regular user ALL root privileges. If there is any way pleas help me :) Regards, Ahmad (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad_one
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Root privilege for user

Can anyone please tell how to give root privilege to a normal user in solaris 10? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicktrix
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what does the x privilege mean?

what does x(in rwx) privilege mean? just text files or shell script files? that's so confusing. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kang
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

7. AIX

User Privilege

How to assign superuser privilege to an ordinary user temporarily (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user with different privilege

Hi , I want to create 3 different user with below privilege in Solaris and Linux. 1) Read Only 2)Read and Write Only 3) Admin user Can you guys help me on this . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen Pathak
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Privilege ids list

I would like to capture the list of all users that belong to the "system" group. Or in other words all those who have privilege access on the system. Can someone please help me with a shell script/sed/awk code to obtain this please. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Block any root Privilege

Hey is there any method (base on kernel) to block adding any root Privilege? only "root" account allow on system and no one can add new root Privilege, ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
4 Replies
SBUILD-SETUP(7) 						   Debian sbuild						   SBUILD-SETUP(7)

NAME
sbuild-setup - sbuild setup procedure DESCRIPTION
sbuild uses chroots to build packages within, to provide a minimal and consistent build environment. This man page describes the procedure to create a chroot by hand using debootstrap. These are only guidelines; depending upon the setup required, several of the steps may be omitted entirely. QUICK START
Simply running sbuild-createchroot will perform all the setup steps described in detail below. See the section "sbuild-createchroot" below, as well as sbuild-createchroot(1). CHROOT SETUP
This guide sets up a lenny chroot on a powerpc machine. Adjust the names for other suites and architectures. 1. Run debootstrap to create the chroot # mkdir -p /srv/chroot/lenny The author has each chroot as a separate LVM logical volume (LV). Create and mount an LV here if required: # lvcreate -L 4G -n lenny_chroot -Z y volume-group Add to /etc/fstab and mount (see next section for full fstab example). Finally, run debootstrap to create the chroot: # debootstrap --variant=buildd lenny /srv/chroot/lenny http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ 2. Set up additional mounts An example /etc/fstab: /dev/volume-group/lenny_chroot /srv/chroot/lenny ext3 defaults 0 2 /dev/pts /srv/chroot/lenny/dev/pts none rw,bind 0 0 tmpfs /srv/chroot/lenny/dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0 proc /srv/chroot/lenny/proc proc defaults 0 0 /dev/volume-group/home /srv/chroot/lenny/home ext3 quota 0 0 /tmp /srv/chroot/lenny/tmp none rw,bind 0 0 /etc/passwd /srv/chroot/lenny/etc/passwd none ro,bind 0 0 /etc/shadow /srv/chroot/lenny/etc/shadow none ro,bind 0 0 /etc/group /srv/chroot/lenny/etc/group none ro,bind 0 0 /etc/gshadow /srv/chroot/lenny/etc/gshadow none ro,bind 0 0 /etc/resolv.conf /srv/chroot/lenny/etc/resolv.conf none ro,bind 0 0 If the bind mountpoints don't exist in the chroot, touch them: # touch /srv/chroot/lenny/etc/resolv.conf Next, mount them all. Depending on your kernel version and security considerations, you may wish to do this part slightly differently. With a Linux kernel, at least version 2.6 is required for bind mounts, and devpts (CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS) for /dev/pts. Other guides recommend copying the files, but this method keeps them up-to-date at no cost. If using sbuild with schroot, passwd, shadow, group, gshadow and resolv.conf can be updated automatically at the start of each build, so no action is required here. schroot can also automatically mount all of the extra filesystems, so all the other mounts may be omitted. To disable networking, don't bind mount /etc/resolv.conf. This will prevent APT from working inside the chroot, but prevents package building from having working network access (no nameservers). 3. Edit sources.list Create or edit /srv/chroot/lenny/etc/apt/sources.list, and add all the APT sources required to obtain binary and source packages for your chosen distribution: deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main 4. Configure dchroot or schroot This is entirely optional, but will make the chroot environment easier to access and administer. For dchroot, add the following line to /etc/dchroot.conf: lenny /srv/chroot/lenny For schroot, add a group to /etc/schroot/schroot.conf (or a new file /etc/schroot/chroot.d/lenny), for example: [lenny] type=directory description=Debian lenny (stable) location=/srv/chroot/lenny priority=2 groups=root,sbuild root-groups=sbuild aliases=stable run-setup-scripts=true run-session-scripts=true For sudo, add a symbolic link to the directory /etc/sbuild/chroot, for example: # mkdir -p /etc/sbuild/chroot # ln -s /srv/chroot/lenny /etc/sbuild/chroot/lenny 5. Log into chroot # dchroot -c lenny or $ schroot -c lenny -u root 6. Set up packages for sbuild While running as root inside the chroot: # apt-get update # apt-get dist-upgrade # apt-get install debconf # dpkg-reconfigure -plow debconf Answer the debconf questions as follows: interface choose 6/Noninteractive priority choose 1/Critical You only need to run dpkg-reconfigure if you weren't asked the questions during the debconf install. Next, install the packages required for building packages: # apt-get install debfoster fakeroot build-essential # apt-get install makedev # cd /dev/ # /sbin/MAKEDEV generic # touch /etc/mtab For some security, we don't bind mount /dev, so it can't access e.g. USB devices 7. sbuild setup While running as root inside the chroot: # mkdir /build # chown root:sbuild /build # chmod 02775 /build # mkdir -p /var/lib/sbuild/srcdep-lock # chown -R root:sbuild /var/lib/sbuild # chmod -R 02775 /var/lib/sbuild Note that when using sbuild with schroot, this setup is done at the start of each build, so is not required here. 8. Finished Congratulations! You should now have a fully configured and operational chroot. SBUILD-CREATECHROOT This script will automatically perform a number of the steps described above, including: o Running debootstrap. o Setting up APT sources in /etc/apt/sources.list. o Setting up a minimal /etc/passwd o Setting up /build and /var/lib/sbuild with appropriate ownership and permissions. After it has done this, you do still need to do some manual setup, completing the steps it missed out above, for example. USER SETUP
1. Group membership As root, run: # sbuild-adduser user Alternatively, add the user to the sbuild group by hand: # adduser user sbuild 2. ~/.sbuildrc Configure the user's ~/.sbuildrc: $ cp /usr/share/doc/sbuild/examples/example.sbuildrc ~user/.sbuildrc Edit to set the correct mail address to send log files to, and the correct maintainer name and/or uploader name. 3. Build directories Create directories to contain packages and log files. (.sbuildrc may have configured different locations; the default build directory is the current directory, and the default $log_dir is ~/logs): $ mkdir ~/logs 4. sudo setup This step not required if schroot is used (which is the default, set in sbuild.conf). If using sbuild with sudo (chroot_mode "split"), sudo needs configuring to give the user permission to install and remove packages in the chroot, which requires root privileges. Add the following lines to /etc/sudoers: username ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL Defaults:username env_keep+="APT_CONFIG DEBIAN_FRONTEND SHELL" where username is the name of the user who will run sbuild. 5. Finished The user should now be able to run sbuild. $ sbuild ... AUTHORS
Roger Leigh. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2008 Roger Leigh <rleigh@debian.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. SEE ALSO
debootstrap(1), sbuild(1), sbuild-adduser(1), sbuild-createchroot(1). Version 0.63.2 18 Aug 2012 SBUILD-SETUP(7)