Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: hard disk problems
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers hard disk problems Post 14510 by thehoghunter on Friday 1st of February 2002 09:59:20 AM
Old 02-01-2002
The system should see it as a 20GB hard drive. Ultra10 supports both Solaris 8 and 2.6. Specs as follows:

Up to two 20-GB, 7200-rpm EIDE hard disks
Operating System Solaris 8
Solaris 7 Hardware: 3/99
Solaris 2.6 Hardware: 5/98
Solaris 2.5.1 Hardware: 11/97
UltraSPARC-IIi, 440 MHz
Cache 2 MB (external)
Memory 168-pin EDO JEDEC, ECC error correction with 4 slots, 128 MB up to 1 GB (minimum factory-configured system is 128 MB) with DRAM speed of 50 ns, and DIMM sizes of: 32, 64, 128, and 256 MB (installed in pairs)

Where are you seeing it as a 8GB drive? Did you double check that the drive you have installed IS a 20GB drive?

You should be able to boot into single user from cdrom and go into format to see the size of the disk drive.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk Problem

Does anyone know of any commands that offer the same sort of facilities of scandisk on windows. My Linux server (Mandrake 6.2) keeps crashing and gives hard disk errors when I reboot. I've used fcsk to fix any problems that arise but when I use dumpe2fs to display disk information it says that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DGM
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

hard disk problems

i have recently recieved a new hard drive which i needed for lack of space. i installed a newer version of my previous operating system, suse 8.2. i saved my old drive just in case. anyway this thing only boots sporadically. the person who gave it to me forgot to tell me there was problems with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAM, Hard Disk

Hi, I work in a production support environment. All our PROD machines SPARC machines and Solaris O/S. I want to know how to find out what the hard disk size, RAM size etc. of our PROD machines. Please let me know if there is any way to find out this (other than from system administrator). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramaraju
2 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hard Disk

I have a cuestion. How Can I to add other hard disk to my computer? I need to configurate anyone? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaraver
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk Check

How can we check the number of hard disks (both internal & external) in a server, their capacity and serial number (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: muneebr
5 Replies

6. AIX

Format a Hard disk

Hello I am trying to format an extra hard disk, I want to purge all data. Does any one know how to do this, I found a format command but it only works for floppies , also related to do this how do you defrag ? I am running AIX 5.3 Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrmeswani
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk at 99% Help!

:eek: I use this Solaris to run CMS a call acounting software package for my job. No one could run reports today because it said the this when you logged on "The following file systems are low, and could adversely affect server performance: File system /: 99%full" Can some one please explain... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannyisme
9 Replies

8. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

9. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

10. BSD

Migrate a Hard Disk

hi Has anyone already tried to migrate a hard disk with FreeBSD using recoverdisk? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccc
1 Replies
scsieject(1)						      General Commands Manual						      scsieject(1)

NAME
scsieject - control SCSI tape devices SYNOPSIS
scsieject [-f <scsi-generic-device>] commands DESCRIPTION
The scsieject command controls SCSI devices in a platform-independent manner. As long as 'mtx' works on the platform, so does 'scsieject'. OPTIONS
The first argument, given following -f , is the SCSI generic device corresponding to your tape drive. Consult your operating system's doc- umentation for more information (for example, under Linux these are generally /dev/sg0 through /dev/sg15, under FreeBSD these are /dev/pass0 through /dev/passX. Under Solaris this is usually the same as your tape drive (Solaris has a SCSI passthrough ioctl). You can set the STAPE or TAPE environment variable rather than use -f. COMMANDS
load Load the medium into the drive. When this command is issued to a CD/DVD drive and the tray is extended the tray will be retracted if the drive is capable of it. unload Unload the medium from the drive (also known as eject). When this command is issued to a CD/DVD drive or a tape drive the media will be ejected if the device supports it. start Start the device. Some devices require a start command after a media changer has loaded new media into the device. stop Stop the device. Some devices require a stop command prior to unloading the medium from the device when using a media changer. lock Lock the device. Locks the device so that the medium cannot be removed manually. unlock Unlock the device. Unlocks the device so that the medium can be removed manually. AUTHORS
This program was written by Robert Nelson <robertnelson@users.sourceforge.net> based on the scsitape program written by Eric Lee Green <eric@badtux.org>. Major portions of the 'mtxl.c' library used herein were written by Leonard Zubkoff. HINTS
Under Linux, cat /proc/scsi/scsi will tell you what SCSI devices you have. You can then refer to them as /dev/sga, /dev/sgb, etc. by the order they are reported. Under FreeBSD, camcontrol devlist will tell you what SCSI devices you have, along with which pass device controls them. Under Solaris 7 and 8, /usr/sbin/devfsadm -C will clean up your /devices directory. Then find /devices -name 'st@*' -print will return a list of all tape drives. /dev on Solaris is apparently only of historical interest. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
There are no known bugs or limitations. AVAILABILITY
This version of scsieject is currently being maintained by Robert Nelson <robertnelson@users.sourceforge.net> as part of the 'mtx' suite of programs. The 'mtx' home page is http://mtx.sourceforge.net and the actual code is currently available there and via SVN from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtx. SEE ALSO
loaderinfo(1),tapeinfo(1),mtx(1) scsieject1.0 scsieject(1)