Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bootable disk
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Bootable disk Post 14453 by sshokunbi on Thursday 31st of January 2002 06:48:12 PM
Old 01-31-2002
Bootable disk

I have a SCO Openserver 5.0.6 running Raid 5. and want to make a bootable disk but the boot image is 5MB ie unix file on root is around 5M and the size is obviously too large for a floppy diskette. Please help on how I can make any bootable device. The aim is to change the filesystem size.

Thanks
SOla

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bootable CD

Hey all, I'm trying to make a backup bootable CD of a solaris 7 machine. I have no idea where to start so I did alot a reading :-) Even though I've done alot of reading I still don't know what is the best way of going about it all. What I am after as a finished result is a bootable CD... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

bootable cd

how can i create a bootable cd? i have the .iso thingy, and now i only need to put it on the cd, but do i need something special to do it w/? or just burn it right onto the cd? Ive already set cd to 1st in bios. thanx anyways (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thenewestuser
1 Replies

3. SuSE

CD Bootable OS

Hi, I want to create a CD that is bootable containing a working Linux OS ie OS runs from CD and not harddrive. Will probably install Linux to a 650GB partition , including all the bits I need. How would I then use this partition to create a working CD? Ideas and Web sites with info very... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdr011
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recover DIsk and make bootable

Hello all, I'm trying to recover from backup file to a new system with a new disk. I'm able to partition my new hard drive the same way as my old drive, but I'm unable to boot off of it. I have set the fdisk to toogle as a boot flag. But it does not seem to be working. Does anyone know how to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larryase
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

Size of LVM header in non bootable disk

hi, i have a query regarding the size of the LVM header. Since the LVM header of a bootable disk is always 2912KB. The header size of a non bootable disk is not fixed. In Bootable disk after the LVM header (2912 KB=5824 sectors)the user data starts or we can say LV extents starts. If i extend any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gorayen
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bootable CD

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had made a bootable Linux CD with additional directory inside it. I'm trying to make a bootable CD with additional rpm to install the correct video card in a seaperate directory. I'm able to make a kickstart bootable CD but am unable to read into the new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larryase
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to make a bootable disk?

The second disk that I'm trying to make bootable is to hold another version of Solaris (9). I've created the partitions with format and labeled the disk - created the filesystems with newfs - created and mounted the directories. ...but I think I've missed something out like using fdisk to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
16 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Make non-bootable scsi drive, bootable

In our HP/Unix system, our master scsi drive was bootable and our mirrored drive was non-bootable. Are any of these alternatives possible: 1) Make the non-bootable scsi drive bootable? How? 2) Create a bootable scsi drive, then copy the mirrored data to the newly created scsi drive? I seek... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bfisk
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Creating a bootable disk in 9.10

I am trying to copy a HP-UX disk. Both the OS and H/W are quite old HP-UX hpeval3 B.09.10 A 9000/382 080009789a46 I have a 1.5Gb disk and a new 2Gb disk. I have been using the following method to create the copy, which must be a bootable disk. #mediainit /dev/rdsk/cEd1s0 (2Gb disk) cEd0s0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcqv
9 Replies

10. Linux

Creating a bootable dvd/cd disk

Hi all, thanks for so many helps in many problems! Can anyone guide, how to create a bootable cd/dvd from downloaded iso images of CentOS 5? I have collected all the iso in a dvd but it is not booting the system. Any response will be appreciable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
2 Replies
MKBOOTDISK(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     MKBOOTDISK(8)

NAME
mkbootdisk - creates a stand-alone boot floppy for the running system SYNOPSIS
mkbootdisk [--version] [--noprompt] [--verbose] [--device devicefile] [--size size] [--kernelargs <args>] [--iso] kernel DESCRIPTION
mkbootdisk creates a boot floppy appropriate for the running system. The boot disk is entirely self-contained, and includes an initial ramdisk image which loads any necessary SCSI modules for the system. The created boot disk looks for the root filesystem on the device sug- gested by /etc/fstab. The only required argument is the kernel version to put onto the boot floppy. OPTIONS
--device devicefile The boot image is created on devicefile. If --device is not specified, /dev/fd0 is used. If devicefile does not exist mkinitrd cre- ates a 1.44Mb floppy image using devicefile as the filename. --noprompt Normally, mkbootdisk instructs the user to insert a floppy and waits for confirmation before continuing. If --noprompt is specified, no prompt is displayed. --verbose Instructs mkbootdisk to talk about what it's doing as it's doing it. Normally, there is no output from mkbootdisk. --iso Instructs mkbootdisk to make a bootable ISO image as devicefile. --version Displays the version of mkbootdisk and exits. --kernelargs args Adds args to the arguments appended on the kernel command line. If this is not specified mkbootdisk uses grubby to parse the argu- ments for the default kernel from grub.conf, if possible. --size size Uses ize (in kilobytes) as the size of the image to use for the boot disk. If this is not specified, mkbootdisk will assume a stan- dard 1.44Mb floppy device. SEE ALSO
grubby(8) mkinitrd(1) AUTHOR
Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Tue Mar 31 1998 MKBOOTDISK(8)