Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers automate the input in a script Post 14392 by rwb1959 on Thursday 31st of January 2002 09:54:29 AM
Old 01-31-2002
May I ask what "program" actually is?
It seems from your post that it is some
sort of program that requires a user
authentication (or password). Many programs
like this woun't let you redirect the
standard input by default but many also
provide other options to allow this sort
of redirection. In general, this is done
for security reasons (like the passwd program
itself).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

here document to automate perl script that call script

I am trying to use a here document to automate testing a perl script however when the perl script hits a system(perl subscript.pl) call, input is no longer entered into this subscript. here is my script $ cat test.sh #ksh for testcase do program <<-EOF | tee -a funcscnlog.log y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hogger84
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script(s) to Automate Tasks

I know that this has a bad title, but I'm not sure how to sum it up well. (And I'm new to Linux in general, so please excuse any incorrect terminology :o) Anyway, I'm trying to create a script that gets whatever folder you're in, and then does a command with that directory as an argument. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: droppedonjapan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell Script to Automate

I would like to automate script where i do not have to manually insert the username and password I wrote two different scripts but not able to achieve the results: here's to scripts i wrote #!/bin/bash cd /var/tmp /home/server/steve/pca --askauth -idx /opt/app/bin/expect <<EOF expect... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam786
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate Script ***V. Urgent

Hi All, ./procdure.ksh which opens the below the menu, I want to build a script which will press 4 and run the Sector Data Automatically (instead of pressing option 4 manually) Is there any way for this, please let me know... 1) FX Rates MDU 9) Fidessa Cash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: niceboykunal123
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for help with a script to automate VLC

Hi, New member here looking for help. This might not be a post for the 'VERY basics' section, so feel free to move it to somewhere more appropriate. I've created a script that searches my computer for video files, creates a list of these files, and selects a number of random entries to play in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uncertain
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I automate a script?

Hi All, Can I automate a script when some one trying to 'vi' (open) a file. For Example, I am having a file named 'SecuredShell.sh'. when a user types " vi SecuredShell.sh " in unix command prompt a script named secure.sh needs to be automated. Can this be possible. if Yes please guide... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail script to automate

Hi, Here below the logs from the mail server: less /var/log/messages: Sep 6 04:03:31 server-59 out: 1252227811|webmaster@zilia.com|antonino.granata@gmail.com|2175|success|1 Sep 6 04:03:33 server-59 in: 1252227813|news@tarot.com|junk@thess.com|30376|success|1 Sep 6 04:03:35 server-59... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to automate gdb input via shellscript

Hi, ich want to write a shellcode which automates input such #gdb file ... (gdb)list ... (gdb)break 10 ... (gdb)run AAAA ... (gdb)bt ... and so on. I want to know how it is possible. sincerely, Blackbox (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blackbox
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate remote script

Hi all, I need to execute a script on a remote machine that are connected to the network.The basic requirement is to write a script which will login in remote machine and then execute the other script automatically placed in remote machine.So that I need to execute the remote machine script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
3 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

automate the script

Dear all, I I want to login to my Linux machine using putty and then run some script from Windows machine.we can do it after loging it and then execute the script by typing it in putty command line screen. but I want to automate it.So whenever I will fire this script,it will do the following... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
4 Replies
PWCK(8) 						    System Management Commands							   PWCK(8)

NAME
pwck - verify integrity of password files SYNOPSIS
pwck [options] [passwd [ shadow ]] DESCRIPTION
The pwck command verifies the integrity of the users and authentication information. It checks that all entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow have the proper format and contain valid data. The user is prompted to delete entries that are improperly formatted or which have other uncorrectable errors. Checks are made to verify that each entry has: o the correct number of fields o a unique and valid user name o a valid user and group identifier o a valid primary group o a valid home directory o a valid login shell shadow checks are enabled when a second file parameter is specified or when /etc/shadow exists on the system. These checks are the following: o every passwd entry has a matching shadow entry, and every shadow entry has a matching passwd entry o passwords are specified in the shadowed file o shadow entries have the correct number of fields o shadow entries are unique in shadow o the last password changes are not in the future The checks for correct number of fields and unique user name are fatal. If the entry has the wrong number of fields, the user will be prompted to delete the entire line. If the user does not answer affirmatively, all further checks are bypassed. An entry with a duplicated user name is prompted for deletion, but the remaining checks will still be made. All other errors are warning and the user is encouraged to run the usermod command to correct the error. The commands which operate on the /etc/passwd file are not able to alter corrupted or duplicated entries. pwck should be used in those circumstances to remove the offending entry. OPTIONS
The -r and -s options cannot be combined. The options which apply to the pwck command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -q, --quiet Report errors only. The warnings which do not require any action from the user won't be displayed. -r, --read-only Execute the pwck command in read-only mode. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --sort Sort entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow by UID. By default, pwck operates on the files /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. The user may select alternate files with the passwd and shadow parameters. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: PASS_MAX_DAYS (number) The maximum number of days a password may be used. If the password is older than this, a password change will be forced. If not specified, -1 will be assumed (which disables the restriction). PASS_MIN_DAYS (number) The minimum number of days allowed between password changes. Any password changes attempted sooner than this will be rejected. If not specified, -1 will be assumed (which disables the restriction). PASS_WARN_AGE (number) The number of days warning given before a password expires. A zero means warning is given only upon the day of expiration, a negative value means no warning is given. If not specified, no warning will be provided. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. EXIT VALUES
The pwck command exits with the following values: 0 success 1 invalid command syntax 2 one or more bad password entries 3 can't open password files 4 can't lock password files 5 can't update password files 6 can't sort password files SEE ALSO
group(5), grpck(8), passwd(5), shadow(5), usermod(8). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 PWCK(8)