Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking routing through a proxy server Post 14241 by PxT on Tuesday 29th of January 2002 01:15:52 PM
Old 01-29-2002
A SOCKS server and a default gateway are two different things, and may or may not be the same machine (most likely not the same). If you want to use a SOCKS or other web-proxy to access the net, setup your client (AIX) machine as you normally would -- i.e. set your default gateway as provided by your network admin. Then setup your web-browser preferences to use the proxy server IP address.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix server behind MS proxy server

I'm trying to get a Unix server on the internet (mostly for DNS requests) but this server is on a network behind a Proxy server. How can I configure my unix server that he will pass the proxy server for internet requests? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSlegers
2 Replies

2. Linux

how to get IP for proxy server

i have installed a proxy server on my linux box . how to get the IP for that proxy . cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

How to get server out through work proxy

Hi, I want to be able to get my server to update via yum through our work proxy. I have tried the usual method of exporting the http_proxy=http://username:password@domain.com but this does not work for me. I opce heard about a guy who set up a proxy on his XP laptop (Don't flame me I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

Software/tool to route an IP packet to proxy server and capture the Proxy reply as an

Hi, I am involved in a project on Debian. One of my requirement is to route an IP packet in my application to a proxy server and receive the reply from the proxy server as an IP packet. My application handles data at the IP frame level. My application creates an IP packet(with all the necessary... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_BK
0 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Help with iptables on proxy server

I may be doing this incorrectly, so if you have any suggestions, I'm open to it. So I installed a reverse proxy server on my LAN. It's not on the DMZ because it's coming from a blade running inside a virtual machine. Anyways, so I installed iptables and locked everything down from the outside... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdotsen
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Routing Emails, Sun One Messaging Server

Hello, i have Sun one Messaging Server 6.3 Up and running, i want to route emails that are destined to a certain email address, let's say test@mydomain.com through the tcp_local channel for example, to another email, and not allowing test@mydomain.com to receive them. So in short, i want... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lemonshare
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

routing to two subnets from a multi-homed server

We have two subnets, say 'domA' (192.168.0.0/24) and 'domB' (10.10.0.0/16). These subnets are connected through the router 'router01'. One server 'base01' has two network cards, configured to domA and domB subnets respectively. Now let's consider a host host01.domA (192.168.0.5) trying to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amriksk
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

enable all operations to use a proxy server , redhat server

Hi, i would like to enable all operations/connections to use a proxy server in a redhat server , witch file should i config to get this for all conections .... Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
0 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Proxy Server and SFTP routing

Hi Friends, I am trying to connect to remote server via proxy server and transfer files from my server . the proxy server is windows. I wanted to know is that is it possible? I am using command to connect is /usr/local/bin/sftp -o "ProxyCommand nc proxyserver.com 8080"(E-Mail... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mallayanala
6 Replies

10. IP Networking

Server setup for multiple IP routing?

Hey there, I am a network administrator of a student dorm. Me and my team (we do this in our spare time) have the task to upgrade and rebuild our dorm intern network. But unfortunately we don't have that much experience with server setup and ip-routing and stuff. So here is the topic I want to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrgruen
8 Replies
RSOCKD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 RSOCKD(8)

NAME
rsockd - SOCKSified SOCKS server SYNOPSIS
rsockd [ -ver | -i | -I ] DESCRIPTION
rsockd is the SOCKSified version of the SOCKS server sockd. Functionally rsockd is identical to sockd except that it may (though not nec- essarily has to) make use of other SOCKS servers to reach some destinations. A number of rsockd's can be strung together or organized in a cascade or other more complicated structures to serve the needs of a particular network configuration and restrictions. Obviously this complicates the issues and make the setup and maintenance of the firewall more difficult. So use sockd instead whenever you can. This document only describes the features of rsockd that are different from sockd. You should read sockd(5) carefully to gain a basic understanding of of how the SOCKS server works. When rsockd receives a request, it checks the request again its configuration (in exactly the same way that sockd does) to decider whether the request is to be accepted. The primary difference between sockd and rsockd is in how they establish connection to the destination host of a accepted request. sockd assumes that it can connect directly to the destination host and proceeds to do so. rsockd makes no such assumption. Instead, it consults another configuration file to decide whether it can connect directly to the particular destination host or whether it has to use a proxy connection through another SOCKS server. In other words, it behaves just like a versatile SOCKS client in this regard. Therefore rsockd requires not only the SOCKS server configuration file /etc/sockd.fc or /etc/sockd.conf to decide whether to accept or reject a request, but also the client configuration file /etc/socks.fc or /etc/socks.conf to decide how to reach the destination host. If it is a multi-homed version and supports RBIND, it also needs the route file /etc/sockd.fr or /etc/sockd.fr to decide which net- work interface to use for a connection. Look at it in a different way, you can think of sockd as a special case of rsockd, one which can connect directly to all destination hosts. In fact, an rsockd using the client configuration consisting of only this line direct ALL 0.0.0.0 is functinally identical to the regular sockd. Anther thing to mention is related to the use of identd. Only the SOCKS server which the requesting host directly connects to can find out the identity of the real user. Suppose user x on host C connects to rsockd on server B which in turn connects to sockd on server A in order to reach destination z. Host B can query identd on host C to find out whether the user is indeed x. To host A, the request appears to orig- inate from user x on host B. An identd query from Host A to host B returns the userid that owns the rsockd process on host B, not the real user x. OPTIONS
See sockd(8). EXAMPLES
The follwoing is an example of the client configuration file. See related man pages for examples on server configuration and route files. # /etc/socks.conf for rsockd of domain rnd.xyz.com # # Use proxy connection through SOCKS server on socks.market.xyz.com # to reach hosts within market.xyz.com sockd @=socks.market.xyz.com .market.xyz.com 0.0.0.0 # # Use direct connect to all other hosts within xyz.com direct .xyz.com 0.0.0.0 # # Use proxy connection through SOCKS server on gateway.xyz.com # to reach all others sockd @=gateway.xyz.com ALL 0.0.0.0 FILES
/etc/sockd.fc, /etc/sockd.conf, /etc/sockd.fr, /etc/sockd.route, /etc/socks.fc, /etc/socks.conf, /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/services, /var/adm/messages, /etc/syslog.conf SEE ALSO
sockd(8), socks_clients(1), sockd.conf(5), sockd.route(5), socks.conf(5), make_sockdfc(8), make_sockdfr(8), dump_sockdfc(8), dump_sockdfr(8) AUTHOR
Ying-Da Lee, ylee@syl.dl.nec.com May 6, 1996 RSOCKD(8)