Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Maximum file name length
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Maximum file name length Post 14219 by thehoghunter on Tuesday 29th of January 2002 11:43:04 AM
Old 01-29-2002
Believe it to be 132 characters which is limited by how much the buffer can except versus how long a filename can be.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum Command Length for Korn shell

What is the maximum size of a command which can be given in telnet command prompt in unixfor Korn shell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum Command Length

What is the maximum size of a command which can be given in telnet command prompt in unix? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the maximum length of th os-command line in Unix.

Hi All, I didn't find any thread that match this question so I hope it's not redundant. I am totally new to Unix. I want to know what is the maximum length of the os-commandline in Unix. Will it cause any problem if I run any application whose total path length is much longer than 256... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumardesai
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum length of a path given as an argument to a shell script

hi, I am using solaris10. I have to write a bourne shell script, which copies files for the said destination path which is passed as an argument to the script. it looks like this myscript.sh /var/test -->destination path now i would like to know what is the maximum length i can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the maximum length of a unix shell variable which can be can passed to plsql

what is the maximum length of a unix shell variable which can be can passed to plsql variable:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to increase the maximum record length

Hi, I need to create a file of record length more than 300 characters. But in my unix box, i am able to create a file only with a maximum of 256 characters per record. Is there anyway i can create a file with more than 300 characters in this case? Or How to increase the maximum record... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahish20
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum command length in bourne shell

Hi, I wanted to know what is the maximum length of command which can be run on a bourne (sh) shell? Where can I find that information? Is it different for different OS flavors? Please help. Thanks, Vineet (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a maximum length for a shell script command?

Is there a maximum length for a shell script command? How can I detect that in my OS? For example, if I have something like: command A | command B | command C | awk '{print $1 $2 $3 $4 $5}' then can we break the commands and also the arguments inside awk ? Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
11 Replies

9. Programming

Maximum length of a line

How can I change the maximum length of a programming line in fortran and C (specifically in fortran 77)? Seems the default maximum length is 72 in fortran 77. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum length of a string

good friends days I would love to know if I can help you know the length of a string example: cadena= "cual es mi largo" echo "cadena : $cadena# cadena :16 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
7 Replies
oct(3trf)																 oct(3trf)

NAME
oct - Encoding "oct" SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl ?8.2? package require Trf ?2.1.3? oct ?options...? ?data? DESCRIPTION
The command oct is one of several data encodings provided by the package trf. See trf-intro for an overview of the whole package. This encoding transforms every byte in the input into a sequence of 3 characters containing the octal representation of the byte. For example % oct -mode encode Z 132 oct ?options...? ?data? -mode encode|decode This option has to be present and is always understood by the encoding. For immediate mode the argument value specifies the operation to use. For an attached encoding it specifies the operation to use for writing. Reading will automatically use the reverse operation. See section IMMEDIATE versus ATTACHED for explana- tions of these two terms. Beyond the argument values listed above all unique abbreviations are recognized too. Encode converts from arbitrary (most likely binary) data into the described representation, decode does the reverse . -attach channel The presence/absence of this option determines the main operation mode of the transformation. If present the transformation will be stacked onto the channel whose handle was given to the option and run in attached mode. More about this in section IMMEDIATE versus ATTACHED. If the option is absent the transformation is used in immediate mode and the options listed below are recognized. More about this in section IMMEDIATE versus ATTACHED. -in channel This options is legal if and only if the transformation is used in immediate mode. It provides the handle of the channel the data to transform has to be read from. If the transformation is in immediate mode and this option is absent the data to transform is expected as the last argument to the transformation. -out channel This options is legal if and only if the transformation is used in immediate mode. It provides the handle of the channel the generated transformation result is written to. If the transformation is in immediate mode and this option is absent the generated data is returned as the result of the com- mand itself. IMMEDIATE VERSUS ATTACHED
The transformation distinguishes between two main ways of using it. These are the immediate and attached operation modes. For the attached mode the option -attach is used to associate the transformation with an existing channel. During the execution of the com- mand no transformation is performed, instead the channel is changed in such a way, that from then on all data written to or read from it passes through the transformation and is modified by it according to the definition above. This attachment can be revoked by executing the command unstack for the chosen channel. This is the only way to do this at the Tcl level. In the second mode, which can be detected by the absence of option -attach, the transformation immediately takes data from either its com- mandline or a channel, transforms it, and returns the result either as result of the command, or writes it into a channel. The mode is named after the immediate nature of its execution. Where the data is taken from, and delivered to, is governed by the presence and absence of the options -in and -out. It should be noted that this ability to immediately read from and/or write to a channel is an historic artifact which was introduced at the beginning of Trf's life when Tcl version 7.6 was current as this and earlier versions have trouble to deal with characters embedded into either input or output. SEE ALSO
ascii85, base64, bin, hex, oct, otp_words, quoted-printable, trf-intro, uuencode KEYWORDS
bin, encoding, hex, oct COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1996-2003, Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> Trf transformer commands 2.1.3 oct(3trf)