Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: question about domainname
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers question about domainname Post 14215 by thehoghunter on Tuesday 29th of January 2002 11:18:53 AM
Old 01-29-2002
Just doing the command domainname yourname.com
will not place it into /etc/defaultdomain (on Solaris at least).
thehoghunter

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

domainname command

Hey, I've been on this for a while... can somebody explain to me what the domainname command really does. The man pages don't tell enough. And how can i have the domain name set so it will be the same all the time when the OS boots up. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

domainname dnsdomainname....etc ??

is there a variable that controls whether the settings of the domainname and dnsdomainame, nisdomaname and hostname are global or local (as in static).. i keep setting the values for these commands and after a while they disappear. how can I keep one static value that will remain even after I have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
7 Replies

3. Solaris

vi question

Im trying to edit a 113 meg file in VI and i get the error TMP FILE TOO LARGE. Does someone know how to get around this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv question

Hello if I like to move file from defined directories system to new directory that not contained any directories system structure . But I like to create the same file system structure as source directory for example : I have 2 directories: foo1 and foo2 foo1 have directories and foo2 have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question

For example res=`some command` elif ; What does this syntax mean? I mean exactly "Xvar" "Xval" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bc question

i'm trying to parse a file with lines like the below where i need to get a diff on the 169-182 so that the result is 13 for instance. I was looking into using bc but am not that familiar with embedding it in a script. john8:9. 169-182 any ideas are appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nlevens
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SU question

Hi all what the different and thanks in adv jiajin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijiajin
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

ddns-rev-domainname being created wrong.

Greetings all, I have been battling with this problem for some time now, and I am not sure if I am just not seeing the obvious anymore or have made a stupid mistake, but I just can seem to get the reverse address in my network to run the right way. Short description of my network: I have a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adesso
3 Replies
domainname(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    domainname(1M)

NAME
domainname - set or display name of the current domain SYNOPSIS
domainname [name-of-domain] DESCRIPTION
Without an argument, domainname displays the name of the current domain name used in RPC exchanges, usually referred to as the NIS or NIS+ domain name. This name typically encompasses a group of hosts or passwd entries under the same administration. The domainname command is used by various components of Solaris to resolve names for entries such as are found in passwd, hosts and aliases. By default, naming ser- vices such as NIS and NIS+ use domainname to resolve names. With appropriate privileges (root or an equivalent role [see rbac(5)]), you can set the name of the domain by specifying the name as an argument to the domainname command. The domain name for various naming services can also be set by other means. For example, ypinit can be used to specify a different domain for all NIS calls. The domain name of the machine is usually set during boot time through the domainname command by the svc:/system/iden- tity:domain service. If the new domain name is not saved in the /etc/defaultdomain file, the machine reverts to the old domain after it reboots. FILES
/etc/defaultdomain /etc/nsswitch.conf ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nischown(1), nispasswd(1), svcs(1), hostconfig(1M), named(1M), nisaddcred(1M), sendmail(1M), svcadm(1M), ypinit(1M), sys-uncon- fig(1M), aliases(4), defaultdomain(4), hosts(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), attributes(5), rbac(5), smf(5) NOTES
The domainname service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/identity:domain Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.10 7 Oct 2004 domainname(1M)