Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there any way to makesure that the input from the user is all numbers? Post 14108 by Jimbo on Monday 28th of January 2002 11:21:24 AM
Old 01-28-2002
if expr "$answer" : "[0-9]*$" > /dev/null ; then
echo 'all digits'
else
echo 'NOT all digits'
fi
Jimbo

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accept user input - only numbers

I have a situation where I want the user to enter only numbers in response to a READ command. I have some validation to restrict the number to be between 1 and 12, but if the user type in some characters the script echoes some error message and goes to the next command. Below is a snippet of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Negative Numbers for input parameters.

Hello, I have a command that I need to supply a negative number as a parameter; how do I do this? I have tried giving it with double quotes, "", but no avail. Thanks, Gussi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Constructing numbers from input lines

I have a file with the information shown and I want to capture the entry having the rgdt tag and taking the value (the location of the represents the decimal point, for example 0p50 represents 0.50) I then want to divide the number at the end of each line by the value 0.50 I want to do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

input of two numbers in the middle of the script

Hi, My script ask for the input of two numbers in the middle of it. I would like to know how to indicate this two numbers when I submit the script. thanks for any help, jalves (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalves
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extraction of numbers from input

I have the following input: xxxx-2.7.19_WR3 I have extract the following: 2.7.19 Can anyone suggest an awk or sed command to do the above...:confused: another condition is if the input is : xxx-xxx_xxx-1.4-1_WR3.0bg.armv6jel_vfp it shud still extract : 1.4-1 whenever "-"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the user input recursively until the user provides valid input

Hi, echo "Enter file name of input file list along with absolute path : " read inputFileList if then for string in `cat inputFileList` do echo $string done else echo " file does not exist" fi From the above code, if the user enters a invalid file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script interacts with user , based on user input it operates

i have a script which takes input from user, if user gives either Y/y then it should continue, else it should quit by displaying user cancelled. #!/bin/sh echo " Enter your choice to continue y/Y OR n/N to quit " read A if then echo " user requested to continue " ##some commands... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reducing the decimal points of numbers (3d coordinates) in a file; how to input data to e.g. Python

I have a file full of coordinates of the form: 37.68899917602539 58.07500076293945 57.79100036621094 The numbers don't always have the same number of decimal points. I need to reduce the decimal points of all the numbers (there are 128 rows of 3 numbers) to 2. I have tried to do this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input and run awk using the input

I am trying to allow a user to enter in text and then store that text in a variable $gene to run in an awk command in which those values are used to run some calculations. I am getting syntax errors however, when I try. Thank you :). The awk runs great if it is a pre-defined file that is used,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
ECHO(1) 							   User Commands							   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo - display a line of text SYNOPSIS
echo [SHORT-OPTION]... [STRING]... echo LONG-OPTION DESCRIPTION
Echo the STRING(s) to standard output. -n do not output the trailing newline -e enable interpretation of backslash escapes -E disable interpretation of backslash escapes (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If -e is in effect, the following sequences are recognized: \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output e escape f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab NNN byte with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits) xHH byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits) NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Brian Fox and Chet Ramey. REPORTING BUGS
Report echo bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report echo translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for echo is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and echo programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'echo invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 ECHO(1)