Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vi and pico
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vi and pico Post 14081 by cns on Monday 28th of January 2002 08:36:43 AM
Old 01-28-2002
Pico is more userfriendly.

Vi is more powerfull but has a steep learningcurve.

It's up to you on what you like the most.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do i install Pico onto a unix system?

I was just wondering how to install Pioc onto FreeBSD? could someone help mee? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swifty
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up pine(pico)

I'm trying to setup the pico editor, which comes with pine. But I am not sure how to activate pine. I'm using the newest stable version of openbsd. If someone could tell me what file to execute, or, if not 'onboard' the package, where to get it. I would be much obliged. Req (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Requeth
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pico text editor

I was wondering if there is any way to get a version of pico for windows. I have done a lot of programming work on Linux/UNIX exvironments for school, and I enjoy using pico for my programming needs, but I find all of the text editors in windows horrible, they distort my code and do not adhere to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: popac
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about pico?

Quick question for all of you Unix gurus. What are your thoughts on Pico as an editor. I have been using this editor for the last week or so and have made a lot of headway with my script writing. However, I find a lot of the quirks associated with this editor to be quite annoying. For instance,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to load text editor PICO

Hi... I was wondering if anyone has any step by step guide on how to load the UNIX text editor PICO onto the Sun box? Thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atomicsushi
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pico?

Is pico editor not availible on all versions of Unix? I do have vi and emacs, but pico just give me a response of "not found". (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dereckbc
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't run emacs, pico..

Hello, I cannot run emacs or pico from my Sun OS command shell. My account does not have a .cshrc file also. When I tried to make a text file and copied it to my account by the name .cshrc, the source commands I place in it do not work. Can anybody tell me how can I solve this? Any help... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryajur
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lost pico editor

I del a lot of files,after that I can't find pico. I have to use vi. However, I like pico. Can should I do ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pico vs vim

I always used pico as a text editor in Terminal or SSH. But what is the advantages/disadvantages between vim and pico? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ed vs pico

Hello! Please, can someone make me clear the difference betveen and interactive and non-interactive test editor? (is not each editor somehow "interactive"???) Many thanks!!! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinklemon
0 Replies
simulation::random(n)					       Tcl Simulation Tools					     simulation::random(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
simulation::random - Pseudo-random number generators SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl ?8.4? package require simulation::random 0.1 ::simulation::random::prng_Bernoulli p ::simulation::random::prng_Discrete n ::simulation::random::prng_Poisson lambda ::simulation::random::prng_Uniform min max ::simulation::random::prng_Exponential min mean ::simulation::random::prng_Normal mean stdev ::simulation::random::prng_Pareto min steep ::simulation::random::prng_Gumbel min f ::simulation::random::prng_chiSquared df ::simulation::random::prng_Disk rad ::simulation::random::prng_Sphere rad ::simulation::random::prng_Ball rad ::simulation::random::prng_Rectangle length width ::simulation::random::prng_Block length width depth _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package consists of commands to generate pseudo-random number generators. These new commands deliver o numbers that are distributed normally, uniformly, according to a Pareto or Gumbel distribution and so on o coordinates of points uniformly spread inside a sphere or a rectangle For example: set p [::simulation::random::prng_Normal -1.0 10.0] produces a new command (whose name is stored in the variable "p") that generates normally distributed numbers with a mean of -1.0 and a standard deviation of 10.0. PROCEDURES
The package defines the following public procedures for discrete distributions: ::simulation::random::prng_Bernoulli p Create a command (PRNG) that generates numbers with a Bernoulli distribution: the value is either 1 or 0, with a chance p to be 1 float p Chance the outcome is 1 ::simulation::random::prng_Discrete n Create a command (PRNG) that generates numbers 0 to n-1 with equal probability. int n Number of different values (ranging from 0 to n-1) ::simulation::random::prng_Poisson lambda Create a command (PRNG) that generates numbers according to the Poisson distribution. float lambda Mean number per time interval The package defines the following public procedures for continuous distributions: ::simulation::random::prng_Uniform min max Create a command (PRNG) that generates uniformly distributed numbers between "min" and "max". float min Minimum number that will be generated float max Maximum number that will be generated ::simulation::random::prng_Exponential min mean Create a command (PRNG) that generates exponentially distributed numbers with a given minimum value and a given mean value. float min Minimum number that will be generated float mean Mean value for the numbers ::simulation::random::prng_Normal mean stdev Create a command (PRNG) that generates normally distributed numbers with a given mean value and a given standard deviation. float mean Mean value for the numbers float stdev Standard deviation ::simulation::random::prng_Pareto min steep Create a command (PRNG) that generates numbers distributed according to Pareto with a given minimum value and a given distribution steepness. float min Minimum number that will be generated float steep Steepness of the distribution ::simulation::random::prng_Gumbel min f Create a command (PRNG) that generates numbers distributed according to Gumbel with a given minimum value and a given scale factor. The probability density function is: P(v) = exp( -exp(f*(v-min))) float min Minimum number that will be generated float f Scale factor for the values ::simulation::random::prng_chiSquared df Create a command (PRNG) that generates numbers distributed according to the chi-squared distribution with df degrees of freedom. The mean is 0 and the standard deviation is 1. float df Degrees of freedom The package defines the following public procedures for random point sets: ::simulation::random::prng_Disk rad Create a command (PRNG) that generates (x,y)-coordinates for points uniformly spread over a disk of given radius. float rad Radius of the disk ::simulation::random::prng_Sphere rad Create a command (PRNG) that generates (x,y,z)-coordinates for points uniformly spread over the surface of a sphere of given radius. float rad Radius of the disk ::simulation::random::prng_Ball rad Create a command (PRNG) that generates (x,y,z)-coordinates for points uniformly spread within a ball of given radius. float rad Radius of the ball ::simulation::random::prng_Rectangle length width Create a command (PRNG) that generates (x,y)-coordinates for points uniformly spread over a rectangle. float length Length of the rectangle (x-direction) float width Width of the rectangle (y-direction) ::simulation::random::prng_Block length width depth Create a command (PRNG) that generates (x,y)-coordinates for points uniformly spread over a block float length Length of the block (x-direction) float width Width of the block (y-direction) float depth Depth of the block (z-direction) KEYWORDS
math, random numbers, simulation, statistical distribution COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2004 Arjen Markus <arjenmarkus@users.sourceforge.net> simulation 0.1 simulation::random(n)