Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Where can I download Solaris 8 or any new Unix Software??? Post 14056 by kanang on Monday 28th of January 2002 03:46:00 AM
Old 01-28-2002
prodz & others (including myself),

put them this way. every branded unix system is likely to be dependant on the hardware supplied together with the os. for example ibm aix runs best only on ibm rs6000, sun solaris on sun sparc-based, and hp-ux on hp9000 machines.

this is one of the motivation for linux father "tuan guru" linus tolvard to create a unix system which runs on intel-based machines - the ibm-compatible personal computers.

correct me if this remark misleads. Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

download copy of UNIX, SOLARIS, SCO, anything?

Hi All, I'm a UNIX Newbie, yes, I hate to say it. I'm decent enough though on LINUX box. But of course, it's not the same! Does anyone know where I can download a copy of the UNIX network operating system, that I can install on one of my boxes? I'd very much appreciate all suggestions. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaredsNew
2 Replies

2. Solaris

unix/solaris data eraser software

Do anyone know of a data eraser software that I can use on my sun box running solaris that meets the D.O.D 5220.22-m standard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberbuzz
4 Replies

3. Solaris

how and where can i download sun solaris hpc mpirun software

how and where can i download sun solaris2.8 hpc mprun software?thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jingwp
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Where to download unix not unix flavours like ubuntu, redhat etc.

I checked unix.org but did not find any link where i can download basic unix flavour. any idea from where i can download unix. thanks in advance. - nilesh (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynilesh
14 Replies

5. Red Hat

Redhat - Software download

Hello, I am not a sysadmin. I wanted to install Redhat linux 64 bit on my PC in a new secondary hard disk. Could you please help me where can I download 64 bit Redhat Linux? I tried on the redhat download page and find out the below mentioned versions Red Hat Linux 7.1 i386 Red Hat Linux... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oradba_arun
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

Software assistant swa get does not download patches

Hi, I am having some issues setting up and using swa report and swa get. When I use "swa report -a SEC -a CRIT -x hp_id username -x hp_pw pword -x proxy=http://proxservername:8080" the report is generated, etc as expected. However when I execute "swa get -t /var/spool/sw/ -x... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seanm
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Download of Solaris 9/9

Hi All, Can somebody tell me, if Solaris -9 (Update 9) is available for download for Sparc ? If yes, please guide me. I need to upgrade my Solaris-9 update-7 to Solaris-9 update-9 for a specific requirement. On support.oracle.com, I can only see Solaris-10 and Solaris-11 under Download... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Looking for X.25 Download (Solaris 8)

Hello Forum Folks, I'm hoping to find a trustworthy download of a (Solstice?) X.25 package suitable for Solaris 8. I've been searching the Internet for many weeks (I am subscribed to "UNIX Packages", previously 'sunfreeware' and could not find anything). Would anyone know or have this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssid61
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)